Hello Philip,

Great thread. : )
On my desk I have Persian Nativities III: On Solar Revolutions and Astrology in the Middle Ages by Theodore Otto Wedel.
From my chair hangs a bag, and there's Flirting with the Zodiac in it, that's what I read these days while riding the tram and the bus.
Then just behind my back Oscar Hofman's Classical Medical Astrology and Dorian Gieseler Greenbaum's Temperament.

From an amateur modern astrologer:

1. Rex E. Bills, The Rulership Book: A Directory of Astrological Correspondences (Tempe: AFA, 1971)
A bit outdated but still in print. I use it with the method described in #5 and sometimes for other purposes.

2. Robert Hand, Planets in Youth
Good for people of all ages. Astrology 101. On occasion if I just cannot "get" a chart I will look up his delineations and usually find them helpful.

3. Robert Hand, Horoscope Symbols
(Astrology 102)

4. Micahel Harding and Charles Harvey, Working with Astrology: The Psychology of Harmonics, Midpoints and Astro*Carto*Graphy (New York: Arkana, 1990.)
Despite the title this is not a work in psychological astrology, and it does outline a method for working with harmonic charts.

5. Karen Hamaker-Zondag, The House Connection (York Beach, ME, Samuel Wiser, 1994)
On accidental house cusp rulers/ lords. Gosh! She actually cites Firmicus Maternus!

This list obviously varies depending upon what chart or burning issue I am working on at the moment. I actually don't read Hamaker-Zondag's book much anymore, but it made a big impact on how I read charts.

I am just now reading Geoffrey Cornelius, The Moment of Astrology.

I too am at last reading the "Moment of Astrology" but grabbed a book about Al-Kindi to read on the train today. It is part of the OUP Great Medieval Thinkers series.

Matt

Almost all the astrology books live on or under the table where the computer lives - I know this is sad (and kinda scary when I look at it!) The bookshelves are waaay out of space with the theology and history and the walls have run out of space for anymore bookshelves.

What's closest to hand:

Bonatti on Horary (Dykes translation)
Persian Nativities I (Dykes translation)
Star Names, Their Lore and Meaning, Richard Hinckley Allen
The Introduction to the Science of the Judgment of the Stars, Sahl ibn Bishr (Holden translation)
Rhetorius the Egyptian (Holden translation)

I was beyond delighted to find Star Names at the local used bookshop, and many thanks to Ben for going above and beyond in the customer service department by mailing his books to me three times (our postal service is appalling), so that I finally received them.

1. Christian Astrology by Lilly

2. Horary Astrology Re-Examined by Dunn

3. Introduction to Traditional Astrology by Dykes

4. Bonatti on Basic Astrology by Dykes

5. Astrological Prediction: A Handbook of Techniques by Doser

Other books I have and try to get more are Astrologia Gallica Books by Morin

1. "Transpluto, or should we call him Bacchus" by John Robert Hawkins. It has an ephemeris of IsisTranspluto 1750 to 2106 in the back.

2. "Dark Stars, invisible focal points in astrology", by Bernard Fitzwalter and Raymond Henry (Eric Morse). It has an ephemeris of Phaethon 1900 to 2003 in the back as well as information about the dark Suns and Planetary Nodes.

3. The American Ephemeris for the 21st Century 2000 to 2050 at Midnight, revised and expanded third edition, by Neil F Michelsen and Rique Pottenger. About the fourth replacement of the same ephemeris.

4. Similar Ephemeris for the 20th Century, absolutely falling to bits.

5. "An Encyclopaedia of Psychological Astrology", by C. E. O. Carter.

1. Christian Astrology William Lilly
2. Horary Astrology (1991 ed.) Anthony Louis
3. Synthesis and Counseling in Astrology Noel Tyl
4. The Eagle and the Lark Bernadette Brady
5. Astrology For the Soul Jan Spiller

I'm also a fan of James Hillman's "The Soul's Code".

:)
The Moon is opposing Jupiter. Don't get involved, it's their problem. Jim Critchfield

Benjamin Martin Spherical Astrology

Just a question about this book which Horarcek recommended on feb 07 2017.In finding true place of the sun for november 25 1800 on page 223 after using numbers from his tables on previous pages he gives 14 26 scorpio.My astrology program tells me sun is about 15 sagitarius on that date.Just curious in case anyone is familiar with this book and could explain the final answer on this page .It looks as though he uses the Julian Calendar which I could adapt to either way using Janus (JC or GC) First example of Suns true place at 23 13 Aries seemed somewhat clear except for Mean motion equation (anomaly?) just before final answer. But second example final answer 14 scorpio page 223 is my general question here .(Year 1800 is not a leap year in gregorian calendar)This is all from the chapter that starts on page 213 -Thank You-Harold