Andrew J. Bevan wrote:The degree of Venus' fall at 27 Virgo has struck me as having an effect, or rather significance, on the interest rates. This, I would explain, as being the price you have to pay for taking something out into existance...
Yes, 27 Virgo is the very worst place for Venus.

astrojin wrote:Hello,

Quote:
Fire - Sun,
Air - Jupiter,
Water - Moon,
Earth ? Saturn

It really is a pretty scheme. Simple, no need for convoluted thinking. It is closely tied to temperament ? it even looks meaningful.
Well, if we are looking for triplicity - element - temperament agreement then let me suggest another variation:-

Fire - Mars
Air - Jupiter
Water - Venus
Earth - Saturn.

I leave the luminaries out of the scheme because the luminaries (sun and moon) are the king and queen of a chart (similar reason as to why there no sun's or moon's terms). The 5 planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) are the "agents" of destiny. Even, in Chinese Astrology and Philosophy - there are 5 elements corresponding to the 5 planets (and this is probably why they had/have 5 elements). Jupiter = abundance = wood element, Mars = fire (what else!), Saturn = earth, Venus = metal, Mercury = water. In chinese philosophy, there is no air element. This is taken up by water (water in liquid form = water, water in vapor form = air).

But, in Western system (or other then the Chinese) we have only 4 elements. One of the planets must then, not rule any element. This falls to Mercury who is by nature = "variable" i.e. not male not female, not diurnal not nocturnal, ...

So,
Saturn: planetary nature = cold + dry. The corresponding element (cold + dry) = earth. The coressponding temperament is then melancholic (Saturnine).

Jupiter: planetary nature = hot + wet. The corresponding element (hot + wet) = air (hot is moving and active, wet is fluid and connecting, combine then and we get air). The coressponding temperament is then sanguine (Jovial!).

Mars: planetary nature = hot + dry. The corresponding element (hot + dry) = fire. The corresponding temperament is the choleric (fiery).

Venus: planetary nature = cold + wet. The corresponding element (cold + wet) = water. The corresponding temperament is the phlegmatic.

So each agent of destiny (excluding Mercury) is given one element to rule, one pair of qualities and one temperament.

*** Note: some classical astrlogers put Venus = hot + wet...
Mars and saturn were considered to be malefic planets so they were placed in sects opposite to their nature to help moderate their malefic effects. I would propose another scheme switching saturn and mars:

Saturn - fire
Jupiter - air
Venus - water
Mars - earth