Hi David

Sometimes people define malware as intending to do something negative or harmful or malicious and badware for basically malware without intent to cause harm etc but nevertheless doing so. To the average user however malware seems to be more an umbrella or catch all term. Then of course there's adware and spyware and god knows what else. Most people just put it all under the umbrella of "unwanted, not easy to remove therefore malware". All these terms seem to overlap but are probably of little consequence to the average user. Sadly most of us have experienced malware of some sort that is difficult to remove and so "difficult to remove" can easily be seen as a synonym for malware rightly or wrongly.

The concept of intent featured a lot in this module I mentioned whose purpose was more to ask questions and get us thinking about these issues more broadly. In this case, from memory, an argument can be made that IE not being removable and not being clear for many regarding competition coupled with sending often private browsing habits with an identifiable licensed machine etc could be imagined as malware. This was used to segue into discussing spyware, data tracking, and profitability of our data for marketing etc. with speculation about software being profitable by way of automatic data mining and what constitutes "free" in this worldview. A few years on and we see debates like this more generally with "free" Windows 10 which tracks and sends so much user data even when you try to opt out of so much of it.

An interesting module and many of the points I made to Curtis actually came out of those conversations. This link of "can't remove therefore malware" idea just reminded me of it.

Being astrological for a moment it made me wonder about Pluto in Aquarius or an astrological age of Aquarius if we believe in it, where we see cryptocurrency like bitcoin and "free" meaning "not costing you directly but profitable to others to cost you indirectly" and how computing may change notions of currency and cost etc in the future - though this is wildly off topic now.

I look forward to downloading Omnicycles myself over the next couple of weeks and playing with it.

Maybe the astrologers who are software developers should come together to create more open source astrological software?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

https://heavenlysphere.com/

pankajdubey wrote:The usual windows Add/Remove program was unable to un-install the pogram. I used the Geek uninstaller and then I had to use the - forced removal function to uninstall completely.The computer is working fine.

https://www.geekuninstaller.com/

It could be the three registry entries that are causing trouble.

PD
Thanks for letting us know PD.

Was this the older version or the latest version that you used?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

https://heavenlysphere.com/

Paul wrote:
pankajdubey wrote:The usual windows Add/Remove program was unable to un-install the pogram. I used the Geek uninstaller and then I had to use the - forced removal function to uninstall completely.The computer is working fine.

https://www.geekuninstaller.com/

It could be the three registry entries that are causing trouble.

PD
Thanks for letting us know PD.

Was this the older version or the latest version that you used?

Hi Paul,

It is the latest version available on the website 16 Mar 2017 7.57PM msi file .

PD

Can I just say how awful these types of threads are to read?

Arguments between programmers or managers of programmers really aren't nice. They're almost as bad as arguments between astrologers.

Reading each post I felt like I could sympathise with something in every single one of them without exception.

I feel awful for the original poster, whose computer was so messed up. I hope all is right again now. How many hours of our lives have we lost trying to fix these machines, these machines which are so liberating but so infuriating? So good at making us productive and so good at robbing us of productivity? They drive us to delight and despair.

I'm not a programmer but I try hard to sympathise with what it's like to be criticised from every direction no matter what you do. I know what it's like to put in countless hours over weeks and months to something which anyone can casually rubbish or dismiss in less than a minute.

I am a computer user and like everyone else I've almost thrown computers and printers and scanners and DVD drives and god knows what else out of the window in sheer frustration. Few things in life can drive you to despair like computers and software. We've all been there.

Like most of you I suspect, I'm a customer of all sorts of software creators, from lone programmers to large corporates and everything in between.

I bought Omnicycles when it was brand new over a decade ago. I never uninstalled it so can't comment on that (my computer came to the end of its life 2-3 years later and I didn't install Omnicycles on my replacement). I can comment on the two businessmen's conduct at the time though. They seemed to me to be very genuine in their intent and their customer service was very human, and absolutely top notch.

I own a lot of paid-for astrology software and the customer service from one company to the next can vary from basic to superb, from robotic to warmly human, from ignorant to understanding.

In creating something - software, music, a painting, an article, anything at all - we can easily lose perspective because of working our fingers to the bone, or becoming enthused with an idea which we think is great but others might think is blah, and other reasons besides. It's easily done. We're only human.

On a practical level I agree with the suggestions that uninstalling should be as easy as possible and automatic start-ups should be optional not pre-set at installation. Computers should let us be in the driving seat IMO. I'm glad that DavidBolton and his business colleague have made those alterations, but not surprised because they were always responsive to me.

In closing I'd like to extend my fullest empathy as a fellow computer user to the original poster, Arvind.

MW
"As thou daily conversest with the heavens, so instruct and form thy minde according to the image of Divinity" ~ William Lilly

Hello Mr Bolton,

Thank you for Omnicycles. I have just downloaded andinstalled it. There is a registration Menu which tells us it will be fully functional once registered. Did you offered the group only a demo or a fully functiunal software? And do we need the regstration number?

Thank you and best regards,
Fran?ois Carri?re
Montr?al (Qu?bec)
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

Hello,

From the "Read this!" Menu, it is clearly stated it is not a fully functional freeware and only some features are available: it should have been stated in the first post of this thread:

?We are giving away - for free - a version of Omnicycles that includes many features, including the possibility of creating files that interact with Google Earth. Yet we are sure you will understand that the main module of Omnicycles - the one that will allow you to do an unlimited number of astrological graphs that will show you the tendencies of your future in many areas of your life - will not be free. To get an idea of the power of that module of the program, check out this free PDF file: Omnicycles Astrology Graphs?

Best regards,
Fran?ois
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

Hi Fran?ois,

So sorry for taking so long to reply! For some reason, I haven't been getting notifications in my email when someone posted on this forum; for that reason, I thought there hadn't been any new posts since the last time I entered (end of March).

To answer your question: we'd be glad to give you a registration number. We had at first planned to only allow the making of graphs until Aug, 2018 (which I believe Omnicycles does now), but since then, we thought we'd might as well give the registration number to those who desire it. So if you (or anyone else) sends me the code number (found in the "Register" option of the main Omnicycles menu), I'll be glad to calculate your registration number for you.

At the moment, we are adding the possibility to "jump" in time from one date to the next, using any time interval you wish. I'll let the forum know when that new version is ready.

About the incomplete uninstall: I'll let Juanma (the programmer) know about that, and see what he says.

Enjoy your weekend!

Bye for now,

David Bolton
Co-creator of Omnicycles Software (now free!), designed to offer new ways of studying the chart. Download at: http://www.omnicycles.com/omnicycles.com.zip

Omnicycles

To MW,

Thanks for the moral support! (Sorry I took so long to reply, but I didn't realize there had been movement on this thread since I was last here.)

We'll see if we can perfect the "uninstall" feature; since we never completely install Omnicycles on our computers, we simply hadn't noticed!

To all:: Do check out the alternative coordinate systems Omnicycles now has to offer (Right Ascension, Prime Vertical, Horizon, and Zenith chart): they truly add new dimensions to natal chart work. (and I'd be interested in your opinions).

Have a good day...

David Bolton
Co-creator of Omnicycles Software (now free!), designed to offer new ways of studying the chart. Download at: http://www.omnicycles.com/omnicycles.com.zip