The Error of Some

''Some, then, put the Sun to rule by day and the Moon to rule by night...'' - Porphyry
''Some give day births to the sun, night births to the moon, but I say...'' - Valens

As the Kings says of the Ruling Place ''And the Sun, beginning for all eternity from dawn, opens the vault of the cosmos in the evening. When night arrives, the Moon will not always become the Lightbringer, but sometimes it is setting in the West, sometimes it remains visible for quite a while, at other times it travels the entire night. As a result, the whole circle has rightly been entrusted to the Sun.''

''There are a variety of opinions about this notion.''
- Valens

''The Part of Fortune is computed in the following manner:

Day Births: Fortune = Ascendant + Moon - Sun
Night Births: Fortune = Ascendant + Sun - Moon

The reason why most people who are born at night have been given the wrong Part of Fortune is that most of the modern authorities have used the day formula for night births!...''
- Robert Hand

If we follow Valens' opinion of the riddle, the modern astrologer has the wrong Lot as frequently as one who follows Ptolemy. Serapio's approach includes that of Valens, but also the place and gender of the zoidion and bound. It appears ''sect'' was not the only thing to take into consideration, except for some. This happened to all lots.

''For example, a native who has a solar Lot of Spirit and focuses their intellectual faculties in a way that “emits??? or generates works through the independent parthenogenesis of new ideas, versus a native who has a lunar Lot of Spirit and tends actualize their intellectual faculties by “receiving??? or pulling together the work of others in order to reflect and compare them, thus also creating something new in the process.'' - Chris Brennan

If we abstain from the error of some, we avoid categorizing half of Earth's population as feminine, and the other half as masculine.

Instead, I propose we use ''predomination'' for every lot, just as we do in the length of life: ''but I say that the sun controls night births and the moon day births, if they happen to be configured advantageously. If both are, assign control to the one which is more appropriately configured in its own sect or triangle.'' - Valens
''if rising in the east...'' - Porphyry Introduction Chapter 30
And so forth.

http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_fortune_e.htm
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/vet ... entire.pdf - Valens, Riley
http://www.chrisbrennanastrologer.com/B ... ionale.pdf

Suppose the Sun is operative in Gemini Rising at night, but the Moon is inoperative in Scorpio, which star do you consider more effective?

Sun rules day, night and year, but not the month. Thus, the Ruling Place is sometimes measured forward, other times reverse, but always entrusted in the Sun.

petosiris..

thanks.. that is interesting.. basically if i understand you correctly you are saying moon in scorpio can never have a say in anything, regardless if it is a nocturnal chart... what if the moon is a nocturnal chart and the moon is on the ascendant? you do still relegate it to being inoperative?

thanks james

petosiris, thanks for sharing.

I do reverse Fortune/Spirit if the predominator is out of sect. And I find this approach is more accurate.

May I know how do you regard the Lot of Exaltation? In your example
Suppose the Sun is operative in Gemini Rising at night, but the Moon is inoperative in Scorpio,
will you count Exaltation from Gemini to Aries?

Btw, I am a supporter of sidereal zodiac. However I found the exaltation is more of a tropical feature rather than a sidereal one.