Sick Dog Horary

My male dog (he is almost 4), a pug mix with yellow hair, was experiencing extreme thirst, excess urination and diarrhea.
I was very worried and erected a chart to get an idea of how serious the illness was, as I was also trying to decide if I should take him to his regular vet, who would not open for a few hours and might not have an available slot, or if I should take him to emergency. I have an outcome regarding the diagnosis, and thought I would share the chart, since it describes the situation well. It also shows how much I love him (he is Venus in the 1st house) and describes him well - he is a Libra Sun and extremely affectionate and sweet. He is normally healthy but has allergies and a sensitive stomach, which wasn't relevant in this situation but just a little background. I can post the outcome later this week, if anyone responds.

hi Tanit — how awful, so sorry to hear your pup hasn’t been in the best health. I’m a dog owner myself and know how distressing this can be. sending good thoughts your way.

definitely post the judgment, even if no one replies (although I suppose that’s what I’m doing now!). there are hundreds of people who may never actively post themselves, but enjoy browsing others’ threads as a way to learn. so I’d say don’t worry about replies — someone out there will be grateful to have a chart example with a known(ish?) outcome to explore and study, even if you never find out who that person is.
Last edited by Wade on Mon May 14, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://wadecaves.com | hello@wadecaves.com

I hope Spica at the ascendant brings much needed luck for Myles. The below is what I could see in the chart so far:

I’ve noticed Contrantiscia between Venus (H1) and Saturn (8th). Venus is termed by Saturn and it’s in turned 8th – could this be that you were so worried about his death at the time of making this chart?

Jupiter Rx in Scorpio is peregrine and termed by Venus. It is in 6th house and representing Myles’ illness. Could Jupiter Rx also represent a vet (Sagittarius cusp at radix 7th) -- did you end up taking him to emergency?

Thirst = Mercury, Mars
Urination = Scorpio, 8th
Diarrhea = Moon, Mars, Virgo

Mercury at late degree is separating from Mars. The Moon in Aries is approaching Venus (which is detriment in Aries) but perhaps diarrhea is stabilizing by sextile?

Sun ruled by Venus is separating from Jupiter (ruled by Mars). Leo at the cusp of radix 4th (end of the matter) could it be related to a heat stroke? What is the diagnosis?

I do wish a quick recovery for Myles.

-

While I was playing with my dog “Fetch a Ball and get a Treat???, I thought about Sun in Taurus, Jupiter in Scorpio opposition. I mentioned earlier about some sort of Sun exhaustion but it doesn’t seem right. . . I wonder if it’s something related to what he ate?

Hi Tanit:

I hope Myles is feeling better. :'

My first thought is "Garbage Toxicosis" or gastroenteritis from ingesting garbage.

My second thought is diabetes. (I hope not!)

Cheers.
The Moon is opposing Jupiter. Don't get involved, it's their problem. Jim Critchfield

Since we already have a correct answer, I will go ahead and post the result. I think those who responded all had a right way of approaching the signification and show that the chart does have useful information for the diagnosis. Don't read the info below if you are still figuring out the chart and want to contribute.

Moonbright- I would be curious to hear how you came to your diagnosis. It is interesting you mentioned "garbage," as I was of a similar mind with his 6th ruler being in his 1st and being in Scorpio, but my first thought was a "poison" in the blood, either literally or figuratively (such as something in the body and not necessarily ingesting a toxin). Libra is on his ASC, which made me think of the blood, so a poison in the blood. Jupiter retrograde in his 1st ruling the 6th made me wonder if something was attacking his liver and the opposition to the Sun suggested that there was an attack on his life even. His significator is also in the turned 8th. When I described what I saw to my sister, she thought he ate a poison, but to me the chart was not clear on that. What I especially found worrisome was the connection to Saturn in the radical 8th (with retrograde movement), with the Moon translating the light of Saturn to his ruler and without reception. Normally I would prefer that the Moon leave a malefic and apply to a benefic rather than the reverse because it suggests going from a bad situation to a better one, but here I didn't like it due to the benefic being the sick individual. I opted to take him to emergency.

The final diagnosis was indeed diabetes and both his pancreas and liver were mildly to moderately enlarged and his gallbladder has sludge. It is similar to type I in humans, so it was something he developed due to a predisposition. He had to stay in the hospital for over 24 hours, and is doing better now but this will be a lifelong issue and is obviously very serious and chronic, which is what Saturn is saying here, as well as a retrograde 6th ruler in the turned 1st. The Moon in a fire sign is likely emphasizing the inflammation in his body as well. My sister is often amazed when I tell her outcomes, such as my mentioning his liver being an issue and the final diagnosis having an enlarged liver - horary is amazing sometimes.

Could the Sun also be describing the gallbladder? I know that in the Skyscript tutorial the Sun is mentioned as a significator for bile. I am not sure what rules the pancreas.

I think Mercury as me, conjunct Uranus and square Mars and Pluto might show what the doctor described as my keen understanding of his health issues (and being a scientist) and that this was serious and will take a lot of dedication, sacrifice and hard work, as well as giving him needle injections twice per day. When I first brought him to the hospital, I noticed that the technicians seemed to think he was fine - he had energy and his vitals were good. It was only when I spoke with the doctor that I felt I was understood, and she immediately took notice of the symptoms and treated them seriously. After the test results, the vet said that most owners do not notice changes in behavior right away and that he had no ketones in his blood, which occurs when the condition is ignored, so I caught it right away (and that I had a quick grasp of what she was telling me about blood work and test results). It also shows my intense worry and that we had to spend some time in the hospital (the 12th), and probably will again in the future.

The fairly early ascendant also suggests that this is a new health issue that has developed and is in the early stages.

Thank goodness for your quick action.

Tanit -- our neighbor’s dog (schnauzer/ poodle mix) has diabetes since she was five, she’s seven now and not doing bad. We see her walking every day and meeting other dogs and so on. Myles is very lucky to have you as his companion. You are really taking good care of him! :'

Hi Tanit:

I'm glad Myles is doing better. It's good to know that diabetic dogs who are treated appropriately have the same life-spans as dogs without diabetes. :'

I thought diabetes because of his symptoms, excessive thirst being the classic symptom, and because of the emphasis on Venus in the first house. I once did a very superficial survey of celebrities' charts with regard to different diseases and Venus seemed to be emphasized in the charts of diabetics.

I haven't read much of medical astrology but I remember thinking that there was no signification for the pancreas in ?Culpeper. This also holds true in Chinese medicine where anciently the spleen was recognized but not the pancreas. The spleen and pancreas are now signified together in Chinese medicine.

I used to wonder about that because the ancients' knowledge of anatomy was pretty good and I think I got my answer when I recently viewed a Body Worlds exhibit at the local museum (well worth seeing). The pancreas doesn't resemble the other abdominal organs at all which tend to have smooth, regular surfaces. The pancreas in contrast looks like a bunch of rhizomes strung together so it made sense to me that it may have been overlooked as an organ.

So I think the emphasis on Venus may refer to the kidneys and the excess thirst and urination. As well it made sense to me in that Neptune (insulin) was squaring Venus. Diarrhea is not a classic symptom but anytime a metabolic hormone problem is present all the body's systems can be affected.

The idea of garbage was from the appearance of the 8th house. Both Pluto and Saturn signify garbage and so does the 8th house. The Moon is separating from Saturn so I thought Myles got into something - the Neptune square could also refer to a toxin of some sort. Certainly dogs are known for their propensity to eat anything and everything - I once had a co-worker who went home to find her dog had eaten an entire large bag of flour. :D

I hope Myles remains happy and healthy!
The Moon is opposing Jupiter. Don't get involved, it's their problem. Jim Critchfield

moonbright wrote:Certainly dogs are known for their propensity to eat anything and everything - I once had a co-worker who went home to find her dog had eaten an entire large bag of flour. :D

I hope Myles remains happy and healthy!

My dog has a friend (Chihuahua, male, 11 pound) who found a pound of butter in the back seat of the car while owners weren’t paying attention. A vet had to pump out the butter from the dog’s stomach. (This 11 pounder seems accident prone.)

Another time they all went out to the grandma’s back yard and there was a big feral cat sitting in the garden, so the dog barked furiously and charged at the cat, but the cat wasn’t afraid of him. Unfortunately the dog got too close to the cat and the cat smacked him. The ground was wet and there was a paw mark left on the dog’s face.

Regarding Venus and diabetes in natal charts - I have noticed a trend in hard aspects between Venus and Jupiter in charts of people who develop type II diabetes, but more so if there are a lot of phlegmatic influences. This is due to dietary and exercise issues more so than being born with the disease, though. These people often suffer from obesity, which increases their chance of developing this disease. In this case, it is type I and getting him to eat is actually a major challenge, and his kidneys are healthy. Also, I wouldn't give the ascendant to a pet, especially since I am often represented as Mercury.