Horary for Earthquake?

I'm wondering if it's possible to use horary astrology to ask if there will be a major earthquake in my area within a few years...eg, 1 to 5 years.

A major earthquake is due on an earthquake fault in my part of California within the next 1 month to 60 years. (estimated 30% chance of major earthquake on one particular fault, within 30 years)

I'm wondering though if this is a question that can be answered by an horary chart.

IF so, would it be more appropriate to ask on behalf of myself and my own interests, or on behalf of my whole community? I thought that to keep the question personally significant, it would be more appropriate to ask on behalf of myself, for instance, as pertains to my own house and potential effect on my own property. However, I wonder if it's possible to ask about in general -- for instance there might be a major quake in a few years, but I might not suffer much damage in it. So the question asked for the whole community might give a different answer than if I asked it for myself and my own house.

Hello - I used to live in San Francisco and live near the Hayward fault now. I would give earthquakes to the 4th, as the house that rules earth and things below the ground, but in general the horary could be read via the condition of the 4th (your home) and the 1st (you) and the Moon. Maleflics in the 4th or afflicting rulers or the Moon could show issues, depending on the severity. Deb briefly mentions an earthquake significaton here:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h4.html

I absolutely think it is worth asking and has been something I have asked before (many years ago it did not show anything in the near future but did suggest something down the road). I did not save a chart asked previously but in my opinion it was radical and made sense. The 1st can be the condition of the state/city or for yourself. It would be hard to separate the two. I actually remember Neptune being involved and wondered if it would indicate a flooding, such as due to Tsunami (in SF).

Thanks for your reply -- actually I also live near the Hayward Fault in the SF Bay Area, so that's the very fault I am wanting to inquire about. OF all the quake faults in California, that one is most "due" for a major quake.

I had thought the 4th house was likely to be the house used to signify the earthquake. I actually did a chart yesterday on this question ---

https://dragunview.files.wordpress.com/ ... hart-2.png

https://dragunview.files.wordpress.com/ ... ts-2-2.png

Thanks for the link to Deb's summary of the 4th house significations....in my chart, the 4th house does not seem to be suffering from Uranus or Neptune, but I found it interesting that Saturn (whom some say could signify a quake --however Saturn here is well dignified being angular and in his own house) is at the angle of the 10th, and in opposition to the cusp of the 4th house. And that Uranus, being a natural signifier of disruption, was in the 1st house. Also the ruler of the 1st house, Mars, is in the 12th house. The moon is approaching a trine with Mars, as well as with the two Fortunes, ...and Jupiter is well dignified being in its own house.

Also, the resources/assets belonging to the 1st (Myself or my neighborhood) are signified by Mercury, who is 5 degrees from the Sun and could be viewed as combust, except he's in a different sign than the Sun. But the Sun is apparently moving away from him not toward him, which I understand is a better indication than otherwise.

GreenStone wrote: Also, the resources/assets belonging to the 1st (Myself or my neighborhood) are signified by Mercury, who is 5 degrees from the Sun and could be viewed as combust, except he's in a different sign than the Sun. But the Sun is apparently moving away from him not toward him, which I understand is a better indication than otherwise.
A major point... Thanks for bringing it up and a good chance to make some corrections for learners.

Mercury in your horary chart is unequivocably combust.

Mercury in this chart is moving towards a conjunction with the Sun and regardless of in sign or out of sign conjunction with the Sun, (this is confusion started with, or exacerbated by Lilly), combustion is combustion and is a severe affliction.

The orb of combustion for Mercury is 14 degrees. At the very outer limits of a planets orb for combustion, it is perhaps a bit less afflicted, let's say if it was separating from combustion and at 13-14 degrees.

Combustion is one of those configurations that are either on or off. Combustion means when a planet is hidden by the brightness of the Sun and until that planet is visible to the naked eye in the heavens, it is still combust. It's all too easy to forget in our modern era of light pollution and computer-generated horoscopes that astrology was originally an observational experience. That is why the values for combustion is different for each of the naked eye planets as they each have a different brightness in the heavens. Venus, for example, the brightest planet aside from the Luminaries has a combustion orb of only 10 degrees.

While on the subject... Certainly, going to prick a nerve here as some consider Lilly a god but the redundant concept from Lilly of a planet of being "under the beams," or when a planet is out of combustion but still within 17 degrees of the Sun needs to be disregarded. He also mentions that combustion has to be in the same sign??? These two concepts make no sense whatsoever, either a planet is combust or not. It's interesting that Lilly would write something like that in an age when observational astronomy was more tangible. Clearly, these are from some older source and/or crap he copied into his own work.

There are conditions within combustion that can affect the combust planet or the Sun for further good or bad, but that is too involved to write about here.

Sorry for the borderline rant, but this needs to be clarified.

Thanks a lot for the clarification, AJ. I certainly was confused by Lilly's statement that to be combust the planet must be in the same sign as the Sun. (ANd I dont' think I inquired about that during horary astrology class...) I too would not have seen the reason for that, and am glad to hear that this can be disregarded. My "sense" that Mercury was combust is validated.

But this does make this chart just that much more ominous.....

As I understand it, in the instance of a major earthquake, fires caused by ruptured gas lines can cause more damage than the earthquake itself. One article I read estimated that a major quake on the Hayward fault would give rise to approximately 400 fires.

Whatever the Moon-Mars aspect represents, it seems like a 4 degree orb would be in 4 years because the Moon is succeedent and fixed. The 5th house placement is odd and I am wondering if it is representing something. My imagination tends to run wild but my first thought was the Yellowstone Caldera causing a disaster (a park) that spans far out. You specifically asked about the Hayward fault, though, so don't mind me.

Yes, the 5th house placement is odd.

I just went to look up 5th house meanings in Lilly, and one of them is "the ammunition of a town beseiged." I suppose that relates to the 5th house being, in a turned chart, in essence the 2nd house of the lands or properties signified by 4th house, the "resources" of the 4th house. This would make sense...

I suppose one could thus view the Moon in the 5th house as an indication that the lands effected will be variously impacted, as relating to their "ammunition", or resources, which could point to things like earthquake retrofitting, installation of automatic gas shutoff valves to limit the risk of fire to the properties. Also, a whole community's degree of earthquake preparedness. The Moon is peregrine in the 5th, so she's vulnerable.

I wonder what the conjunction of Jupiter and VEnus in the 8th house would allude to.

YEs...I understand that the 8th house would represent deaths...what I'm not clear on is the significance of the 2 Fortunes in the house of death, or their conjunction. I tend to think this would be a beneficial thing, indicating that deaths would be less than predicted.

Mercury , the natural significator of earthquakes is squaring uranus in about 2.5 degrees. Uranus is angular and rising which makes it significant for this chart. Mercury combust should mean something significant too and im not sure if its increasing or weakening the possibility of an earthwuake in the near future . Moon the ruler of 4th in in a fixed sign Leo which should indicate stability. Angles are all cardinal and Mars , your sig, in cardinal Aries. Pluto opposes IC in 6 degrees. I would say with Uranus bang on the ascendant one can expect the unexpected. Its difficult to predict the timing though.