Normally the benefics beholding the ascendant ruler and the 4th ruler would be a protective influence and suggest overcoming difficulty but from the 8th they would be less likely to or even at all and are themselves afflicted, which to me could suggest that aid is difficult, such as other cities trying to help or firefighters coming to help. I also thought maybe it was suggesting a higher loss of women and children and service workers? I guess overall though as much as the chart has Pluto and Uranus on an angle, as well as Saturn (which is dignified and in sect), the 4th house is not super afflicted like I would have expected. When the 1st ruler is in the 12th it can suggest anxiety of the mind or worry about matters. I hate looking at these kinds of charts because it can easily because a bit doom and gloom. Here the 1st and 4th ruler in a grand fire trine with the 8th is rather spooky though.

Tanit3333 wrote:Normally the benefics beholding the ascendant ruler and the 4th ruler would be a protective influence and suggest overcoming difficulty but from the 8th they would be less likely to or even at all and are themselves afflicted, which to me could suggest that aid is difficult, such as other cities trying to help or firefighters coming to help. I also thought maybe it was suggesting a higher loss of women and children and service workers? I guess overall though as much as the chart has Pluto and Uranus on an angle, as well as Saturn (which is dignified and in sect), the 4th house is not super afflicted like I would have expected. When the 1st ruler is in the 12th it can suggest anxiety of the mind or worry about matters. I hate looking at these kinds of charts because it can easily because a bit doom and gloom. Here the 1st and 4th ruler in a grand fire trine with the 8th is rather spooky though.
Great insights and also about the presence of a lot of fire in this chart about earthquakes.i also felt that the 4th house wasnt too badly afflicted. Perhaps it can also mean that there is no immediate danger as usually horaries are good at predicting the near future of about an year or so. I lack experience so not quite sure about it. Also the fourth house is not highlighted in the chart and the moon is in 5th . Perhaps there are other issues preoccupying the querent for now which call for more attention than this matter? I had seen another earthquake chart where there was a possibility of earthquakes in very immediate future as predicted by the experts in querent's area. There was a bunch of planets in the 4th with some other indicators and the chart looked more like an earthquake chart at the first glance . I agree about the doom and gloom and foreseeing such events from a chart can cause so much anxiety.

So I suppose one of the main confusions in interpreting this chart, is whether when asking the question, I was really asking on behalf of the entire community/neighborhood or city, or more on my own behalf. Knowing this would help distinguish just "who" the querent is.

I think, to be honest, most of us when wondering about a natural disaster scenario, are really most concerned about our own security (and that of our family and property) more so than the entire neighborhood or city. So, I suppose I should consider that the question may be most deeply felt as regards my own self and property, but with concern as well about the whole immediate area.

Serene asks if there are other issues effecting the querent. In my own personal life, I'm deeply immersed in several creative projects, which could explain the Moon in the 5th house.

It occurs to me as well, that in a turned chart, the 8th house is the house of "other people's resources" and so Jupiter and Venus in that house could signify the importance, in a quake scenario, of what resources are possessed by neighbors and the city or local government.

I also am not clear for how far forward in time an horary chart can be useful.
I had the understanding it can certainly answer questions within a year's time, perhaps 2, but not sure if it can answer whether something will occur within 5 years.

it might be for the philosophy section, but a question something like this - 'are their any limits to what can be asked in a horary chart?' would be a good question to get an answer to.. if their is, you might have tripped on it by asking about world events that affect countless people... can horary answer these types of questions?? serious question... everyone so far seems to be affirming in the positive being focused on the details, and perhaps not seeing the forest for the trees...

Yes, good point James...from my understanding, horary can be used to ask about questions that have direct personal meaning to the querent, something the querent cares a lot about. But not a question that's at a far remove from the querent. For instance, I was taught that questions about who will win a certain presidential election are generally not advisable, unless the querent is one of the people running for president.

In this case, I'm not clear if this question is sufficiently personal...certainly the outcome of a major quake on the Hayward fault would have a direct impact upon me since I live less than 2 miles from the Hayward fault and in the zone which would be experiencing violent shaking in a quake. I tend to think this question would be allowed under the rules of horary, but it might be that it's better framed as a question to be answered by a birth chart or mundane chart.

It might be that a mundane chart would be most suitable for this question. I found Deborah's discussion of a mundane chart here, http://www.skyscript.co.uk/ingresses.html

I haven't studied mundane astrology at all ...I've only studied the interpretation of horary charts and have some study on Lilly on birth charts.

hi greenstone... you might want to look at an ingress chart where uranus, or an outer planet is on the 4th house cusp, or angle... thanks for the link on debs ingresses and mundane astro!

I went to my Ephemeris book, and it seems that Uranus will come into ingress with the 4th house cusp (14 degrees of Cancer) in September, 2035. So, that would suggest a possibility for a major earthquake in about 16.5 years, using only that as a significator.

Neptune and Pluto, moving more slowly, would take many more years to get to 14 Cancer. Neptune wont' get there until 2071, and Pluto not until beyond the 21st century, so for more than a hundred years from now.

But I think Uranus is more accurate as a natural signifier of an earthquake.

in mundane astrology, the ingress charts used are the aries ingress... in fact, the jupiter-saturn conjunction chart is considered even more important and a reference point for the aries ingress charts.. if the aries ingress chart has a fixed sign rising - the chart is considered good for the full year.. if not, one uses the other ingress charts - sun into cancer, libra and capricorn... it would be a lot of charts to look at, but not impossible... one can use washington dc, even san francisco as a base for these charts, as it is more local.. good luck!

Hello:

Thanks for posting this chart...very interesting, @GreenStone.

@Serene: Do you have a reference for Mercury being an earthquake significator?

If I remember correctly, in The Iliad , Homer attributes earthquakes as well as weather to Poseideon/Neptune.

Anthony Louis gives Uranus for earthquakes, hurricanes and tornadoes.

Any others?

Cheers.
The Moon is opposing Jupiter. Don't get involved, it's their problem. Jim Critchfield

Hi Moonbright, i heard about Mercury signifying earthquakes in general traditionally from a professional astrologer i am not in touch with now. He was pretty good with horary and well read.