thanks margherita and ed,

margherita - i look forward to roberts fix so that i can see that.

ed- i went and played around with astro.com free chart with the directions you gave.. i can see a lot of star paran data, but was unable to pull up a chart in right ascension via their site.. thanks regardless as it was rewarding.

Here is an interesting example John Worsdale gives in his book Celestial Philosophy.
A natal chart of a boy who died violently in his second year of life (was kicked by a Horse in his forehead). John Worsdale claims that he predicted the death, that is, the probable death and worn the parents 10 days prior, to keep the child in safe. But nothing can escape the "unchangeable decree of the omnipotent creator" as Worsdale stated, so he gives the "Astral causes" for the violent death:
Ascendant is afflicted by the body of Saturn, and square of the Moon, and [square of] Mars in mundo.
As you can see in the natal chart, Mars is way too off to consider it as an zodiacal aspect, that is, his orbs are way off from the Ascendant and Saturn (if we neglect aspects by whole signs). But as we can see in the second chart, Mars is closely aspecting the ascendant and Saturn in Mundo!

I will not expose the whole delineation Worsdale give, but will point out only the Mundane aspects he uses. So I skip sections of his Delienation.

Then he noticed that Moon would apply to a square of Saturn in Mundo by direct motion.

Worsdale also notice that among all the evil configurations, benefics could not assist because Jupiter is in the Heart of the Scorpion and afflicted by the square of Saturn, while Venus is hurt by the opposition of Saturn and square of Mars in Mundo!

So, we can see again here that Mars doesn't touch by his rays nor Saturn nor Venus, but he makes with both Mundane Square.

Later on Worsdale analysis the Solar Revolution for the year and the transits on the day of death. Quite an interesting book to read, full with examples and real treasure for the practitioner astrologers.

I have a strong interest in parans which Kenneth Bowser refers to as mundane aspects because I desire a Multidimensional Astrology that goes beyond just using Ecliptic Longitude which is the zodiac chart. I have been using Right Ascension (Equatorial Longitude) and Declination (Equatorial Latitude) years before I started using parans regularly.
After reading about Oblique Ascension and Oblique Descension, I understand parans a lot more.

I already know that objects that conjunct in Right Ascension within a 2 degree orb have a corresponding culminating,culminating paran (culminate together) and a corresponding anti-culminating,anti-culminating paran (anti-culminate together) and that objects that oppose in Right Ascension within a 2 degree orb have two corresponding culminating,anti-culminating parans (one culminates while the other anti-culminates).
I read that the formula for the rising, setting, culminating, and anticulminating of planets rely on right ascension and declination of the planet and the geographic latitude of the horoscope
Right Ascension, Oblique Ascension, and Oblique Descension are factors in parans.
The Sidereal Time paran connections between objects are the result of the objects being connected via the factors of Right Ascension,Oblique Ascension,Oblique Descension.

Right Ascension: the angular distance eastward along the celestial equator from the vernal equinox to the intersection of the hour circle that passes through the body; expressed in hours and minutes and second; used with declination to specify positions on the celestial sphere
Oblique Ascension: an arc of the equator, intercepted between the first point of Aries and that point of the equator which rises together with a celestial object, in an oblique sphere; or the arc of the equator intercepted between the first point of Aries and that point of the equator that comes to the horizon with a celestial object
Oblique Descension: the degree or arc of the equator which descends, with a celestial object, below the horizon of an oblique sphere.

Robert Hand's explanation of oblique ascension:
First an explanation of oblique ascension. On the equator all positions on the celestial sphere, regardless of declination, rise along with their right ascensions at 0 degrees declination. This is because at the terrestrial equator the celestial equator rises in the east exactly perpendicular to the horizon, hence the term "right" ascension, "right" meaning perfectly upright. But either north or south of the terrestrial equator positions on the celestial sphere do not rise with their positions measured in right ascension. They rise along some other degree on the celestial equator. This other degree is the oblique (or slantwise) ascension of our hypothetical position on the celestial sphere. It is called oblique ascension because the celestial equator at latitudes other than 0 degrees north or south rises slantwise or obliquely in the east, the further away from 0 terrestrial latitude (the equator), the more obliquely. Therefore, the oblique ascension of position A can be defined as whatever degree on the equator may be rising when A exactly touches the horizon assuming that A is not on the celestial equator, i.e., that A has a declination not equal to 0."
http://www.arhatmedia.com/tropzo.htm

Philip Sedgwick noted about parans:
"While some astrologers scratch their heads, others investigate the angular relations along the potent Celestial Equator circular reference.
Often when measuring to the Celestial Equator instead of the ecliptic, other unnoted parallels and contra-parallels emerge. Again, a parallel or contra-parallel on this circle operates the same as such an alignment on the other circle.

Meanwhile the factor of the Paran adds a doubled effect as well. Using either the Celestial Equator or Ecliptic, a Paran technically can be measured. A Paran on the Celestial Equator would not correlate to one on the Ecliptic. And again, remaining attached to only one sphere of measure ignores other critical angles calling out for interpretive attention. Paran, comes from paranatellonta, meaning literally, "rising side by side." This refers to a transiting object and natal object rising over the horizon and meridian at the same time. Many combinations of Parans are available coming from the factors of oblique ascension, oblique descension, and right ascension.
http://www.noeltyl.com/~noeltyl3/techniques/011130.html

Rob Hand in Essays on Astrology defines parans as “simultaneous transits over two or more bodies over the horizon or meridian circles of a given place at the same time.??? Hand defines seven types of parans as follows:
1. Two bodies rising together (conjunct the oblique Ascendant).
2. One rises while the other sets (oblique Ascendant opposition the oblique Descendant).
3. One rises, the other culminates or anti-culminates (oblique Ascendant square right ascension).
4. Two bodies set together (conjunct the oblique Descendant).
5. One body sets, the other culminates or anti-culminates (oblique Descendant square right ascension).
6. Two bodies culminate or anti-culminate together (conjunct the right ascension).
7. One culminates while the other anti-culminates (right ascension opposition right ascension).
http://www.alabe.com/text/Dineen-AstofPlace.html

David Cochrane's wonderful (in my view, unparalleled) Astrology program Sirius’ Speculum lists Sidereal Hours for the rising, culminating, setting, and anti-culminating of the objects as well as the Right Ascension,Oblique Ascension, and Oblique Descension of the objects.

DJ tRump has a 3 planet paran of Sun, Moon, and Mars in his birth chart which fits very well with his bombastic nature. It is possibly the most powerful ingredient in his chart as it has the 2 lights and the most angular planet in his chart which is in the first house.

Right ascensions and angularity of points can be generated in Solar Fire.

The image of the paran in longitude with LST angles.
The image of the speculum showing LST angles at angularity. This can be set to show clock time, LST times or LST angles.
3 ways the positions can be shown.

In his book, Essays on Astrology,
Robert Hand pointed out that declination is the vertical dimension of Right Ascension and not ecliptic longitude even though some astrologers use declination along with ecliptic longitude instead of Right Ascension.
Robert Hand wrote one cannot say that if Saturn rises while Mars culminates, Saturn will necessarily culminate while Mars sets because of geometry planetary transits over angles. He pointed out that a paran on one pair of angles does not mean that there will be parans on other pairs of angles at the same time. He noted that If two bodies are also in parallel of declination when they are in paran, they will always transit the angles in pairs and be in paran on any pair of angles. He also wrote that contraparallels also synchronize the rising, culminating, setting and lower culmination patterns of pairs of planets, but not as perfectly as parallels.
He noted that eclipses of the Sun are also parallels and that the Sun conjunct Moon while parallel Moon will transit all angles simultaneously He also notes that shows that an eclipse is both a zodiacal aspect and a paran aspect. He raises the possibility that is part of the reason that eclipses are so powerful.

In his book, Horoscope Symbols, Robert Hand wrote that parallels,contraparallels might not have much astrological influence unless they are in conjunction,opposition in Declination Longitude Equivalent Chart

Robert Hand pointed out that parans take both latitude and Declination into consideration.
He also noted that the Babylonians used parans long before aspects on the ecliptic. He also pointed that Babylonian Astrology was an observational one, and that the horizon and meridian circles are much more easily seen outdoors than the ecliptic. He also noted that Ptolemy discussed parans in the Almagest. Robert Hand wrote that parans appear to represent a direct and powerful linking of planetary energies although it is not clear what differences there might be among the various type of parans.
Parans depend upon the latitude of location. The important thing is that the two bodies cross the great circle of the horizon or meridian. Paran transits are affected by changing geographic latitude.

Robert Hand used a 4 degree (16 minutes of Sidereal Time) for natal parans, but I prefer using 2 degree orb (8 minutes of Sidereal Time) and 1 1/2 degree orb (6 minutes of Sidereal Time) for dwarf planet/candidates and major asteroids/protoplanets.
He used a 1 degree orb for transiting parans to natal parans. If transiting parans to natal parans can be used, I don't see why parans cannot be used in synastry which is actually the older person's transits at the time that the younger person was born. I always thought that the older person could re-live the psychological influences of the transits that he/she had when the younger person was born through the interaction with the younger person.

Robert Hand originally looked at the Right Ascension, Oblique Ascension, and/or Oblique Descension degrees for the transits to natal, and I was wondering if we could look at those before I even read his book. I was already looking at transits to natal in Right Ascension. Now, I realize that only the Right Ascension conjunction, opposition may be valid in looking at transits to natal for they actual parans. Other Right Ascension aspects are not parans.
Robert Hand referred to the transits as 'Ascensional Transits.'

Robert Hand later changed to looking at Sidereal Times (ST) or RAMC (Right Ascension in the Medium Coeli aka Midheaven) rising,culminating,setting,anti-culminating of the planets.

I really like the way Robert Hand thinks and views things in Astrology. He questions what most astrologers do. He does things that most astrologers don't do.
Last edited by Raymond Scott on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

There is no program I know of that will do this all the time but for planets showing the same LST you may get the chart if data does not change quickly that day.

I had to construct the chart to show tRump's parans.

The way to find parans is to generate a speculum showing LSTs. Even then the paran may not show in a generated chart.

My PAL (progressed anlunar) for JFK in Dallas for the time of his assassination with his secondary progressed chart around it showed return Pluto on the Desc with an LST of 273°18' and secondary progressed Pluto on the IC with an LST of 274°37' but the generated chart, while it showed the secondary progressed Pluto on the IC showed the return Pluto about 22° below the Desc. The only way to know it was bodily on the Desc was to see the speculum (risings and settings).

I apologize for the large image. Not familiar with how to size it on this site.