Regarding fixed stars: Unlike the planets, the fixed stars can be quite distant from the ecliptic. This has the consequence of affecting their "Mundane position" i.e. their position with regards to the observer.

Simmonite (gives the following example: Rigel is in 15 Gemini. You would hence expect the star to rise when the ascendant is 15 Gem. However, this does not happen. Because of the star's position in the celestial sphere, Rigel does not actually rise until the ascendant is in 27 Cancer.

https://archive.org/details/completearc ... /page/n303

The effect is probably very much more pronounced with Algol, as it is 22 degrees north of the ecliptic.

Furthermore, the exact ascendant degree that corresponds with Rigel/Algol's rise varies depending on your latitude. Simmonite provided a rather useful table showing the sideral times when the stars rise/conjunct the midheaven/set, but he sadly does not give you the place it is valid for ...

Astro.com has this option for the charts called "Astrodienst fixed stars" which plots the mundane position of the stars. It might be worth a look

[/url][/quote]

I am curious what orb you guys use for Algol? I use 5 degrees due to Lilly's table on accidental dignity and that seems to work in natal and horary, but I noticed that some people use only 1-2 degrees. I noticed that Simmonite also uses 5 degrees in the above publication. He said something nice about Sirius in angles, which I have on my ASC. Yay for a balancing effect.

I noticed another thread about Algol where position was debated a little bit and Tom said he only looks at 1 degree orb. It is up to the astrologer, I guess. Mine would be out of orb if that is the case (22 degrees). Some of the examples and interpretations in this thread are interesting:

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 37037c0129

Here are the current placements of fixed stars: https://www.skyscript.co.uk/stars.html

Someone mentioned a person having Algol on the MC and working with skulls. I found that interesting because mine rules the 2nd (can describe vocation) in the 11th opp Uranus and I am a microbiologist and have worked with body parts for culture analysis, etc, including handling skulls.

Tanit3333 wrote: Modern astrologers give Algol more positive meaning, such as being iconoclastic in personalit
William Lilly suggests, that in certain circumstances, Algol can act in a beneficial way to the native. This section is found in his section on Honour/preferment in a nativity.
Christain Astrology, 1659ed p 620 wrote: Caput Medisae culminating with Sun or Jupiter gives power of the Sword against others unto the Native
But I doubt if this would be very beneficial to those subject to the native's sword.

I have heard the Bulgarian babylonian astrologer Krasi say that algol
alternates between 3 colours at a regular frequency & it depends on the colour that it is emitting at your time of birth which determines whether it is very malefic star or mildly malefic .

Good info Zosma!

Now all we need is an Algol Color Calculator! :lol:

Actually, I'd love to know this as he's conjunct my Mars, as a lone bucket handle. Skulls do figure into my life, incidentally Tanit.

Picking this thread up again. My progressed sun is nearing Algol, which is why I started researching it. Seems it's not all negative. Both George Lucas and Marc Zuckerberg have their natal Sun conjunct Algol. Both Johnny Depp and Marlon Brando (imo the most handsome men ever when they were young) have Venus conjunct Algol.