Selecting the best time for a cross-country drive...

I am reading Frawley's article, and doing my best. Can any of you experienced at elections help me out a bit?

I figure Mercury shouldn't be retrograde, the ruler of the ascendant in the birth chart (Venus), should be as strong as possible, and the natal Sun and Moon needs to be as strong as possible.

Do I use the ruler of the 9th for a long journey across country? or the ruler of the third?

Where is Saturn best placed in the houses?

This trip is probably going to happen in October, before Mercury goes retrograde, but the sibling making the drive has visited here before, and is making a permanent move here, so perhaps I shouldn't worry about Mercury Retrograde?

The trick with electional work, especially when you are new to it, is not to worry about trying to get the best astrological connections, just concentrate on avoiding the bad ones. You?ll inevitably get something in the chart that you?d rather not have and you?ll drive yourself insane trying to get a perfect chart.

I would avoid the Mercury retrograde period because this is about driving so there?s a need to have clear mental processes. The 9th house generally rules long journeys away from home that take you into unfamiliar territory but for a situation like this it makes sense to try to avoid affliction in both the 9th and the 3rd houses. However, the prospect of making a successful journey that takes you to your destination smoothly is also judged across the asc-desc axis, the asc signifying the departure and the desc signifying the destination. So you should try to make sure that neither 1st or 7th ruler is afflicted and retrograde, (for example, 1st-ruler retrograde can indicate the need to return to the place of departure without reaching the destination), and applying to a harmonious aspect of each other if possible (or say, the Moon translating between them).

Some general principles to bear in mind are:

1) Avoid fixed signs on the angles (or periods where there is a heavy emphasis on fixed signs by the Moon, asc-ruler, or many planets being in fixed signs etc). Fixed signs suggest slow movement.

2) Try to keep the Moon clear of difficult aspects, although it?s OK for the Moon to be separating from difficult aspects as long as it is applying to good ones. If possible have the Moon applying to a good aspect of the Sun (preferably a waxing trine or sextile) ? that adds a buoyant energy to any situation, so that even if there are problems there?s a sort of positive spirit that allows people to deal with them more effectively. Also avoid VOC Moon periods, which is when the Moon is out of orb of aspect. It doesn't matter if the Moon is closely applying to a good aspect of the Sun, for example, but needs to cross a sign boundary to perfect: that crossing of borders only suggests change and there is a change happening here anyway.

3) Watch the angles on the election chart, and make sure you don?t have any planet capable of causing problems strong by conjunction with an angle. For this kind of situation that would be Mars, Saturn or any of the outers. Same goes for the South node.
Where is Saturn best placed in the houses?
Usually ? unless you are wanting to strengthen and work with the energy of Saturn - away from the angles. That?s why Saturn and Mars are said to rejoice in cadent houses, not because they are stronger there, but because it helps to keep their influence in check. A bad election chart would be something like the Moon applying to the square of Saturn on the midheaven ? it?s the simple principles that are the most reliable.

Good luck
Deb

Here is the natal chart:

YG
19 May 1946
4:54 PM EWT
Manhattan, NY

Date and rough time for planned cross-coutry move:

Oct 4 2006
10:26 AM PDT
Now located in Auburn, CA

All comments gratefully welcomed!

I am a wee bit disappointed that none have commented on the chart for the drive east.

There are several features about this chart that bother me, but I have done my best. If someone can find a better configuration, I sure would appreciate the post of it, and an explanation.

But, I understand if it is just too tough. I have been struggling for weeks!

Hi Housemouse,

Pehaps you could give an indication of the time frame you have for this journey.

I have done very little electional astrology but a couple of things concern me about this chart. For a start, the signs on your 1st house/7th house axis are fixed. As Deb pointed out in her post, this can make for slow going and is best avoided.

I also don't like the fact that the Moon is in the 4th house and about to conjunct Uranus. It would be much better if the Moon was separating from Uranus, which it does later on that day. It will then be in an applying trine to Jupiter - a much better aspect. The Moon is the ruler of the 9th house in the current chart and you want it to be in the best possible position. Saturn is the ruler of the 3rd house and in its detriment. Mars (signifying the beginning of your journey) and Venus (signifying your destination) are both combust the Sun. This means that they are both in a weakened state. This does not bode well for an easy journey.

As Deb said, often the best thing you can hope for in electional charts is to minimise the difficulties. I would wait until the Moon separates from Uranus and try to keep Mars and Venus off the 1st/7th cusps due to their combust states. I had a quick play around other times that day after the Moon separates from Uranus but every time I got angles that weren't ruled by Mars and Venus I ended up with Pluto or Uranus on the MC or Ascendant. :(

I had a quick play around other times that day after the Moon separates from Uranus but every time I got angles that weren't ruled by Mars and Venus I ended up with Pluto or Uranus on the MC or Ascendant.
That was my problem as well. If we wait much past the early October time frame, we end up with lots of planets in Scorpio. I decided that placing Saturn in the 9th house won out over "fixed signs on the Asc/Desc axis.

Deb is right, these charts can drive one crazy!

I would at least wait until the Moon begins to separate from Uranus. And I am not sure that Saturn in the 9th is the best thing. Saturn in the 9th is something that traditional authors warned against when undertaking a long journey. Many believed that it could be dangerous. I would not go that far but, to me, it denotes a journey that will be more serious and with a sense of obligation and duty attached to it rather than fun and enjoyment. If this is the sort of energy required then Saturn in the 9th will do it. But if the journey is meant to be fun then Saturn might not be the best planet to put in the 9th.

This trip is a very serious move, from her home of over 30 years,where she raised her family, to live closer to us. Her husband died last year, and she is now alone there, as her children have moved away from home.

She is only driving because she doesn't trust the airlines to safely transport her three dogs.

I see a drive of over 2,000 miles, caring for dogs all along the way as not much fun, more of a sacrifice of personal comfort to make a transition for her pups less frightening. She is planning on only driving about 6 hours a day, making the trip longer and slower than neccesary.

Again, any time during the first 3 weeks in October before the ME retro period starts would do. I focused on the first week because I thought it seemed to fit better with her natal chart.