Transiting Saturn conjunct Asc

Dear All,

My Asc is at roughly 16 degrees Virgo and as such I'm currently under the influence of transiting saturn conjunct my ascendant. Saturn is also squaring my natal mercury/uranus conjunction on the IC. Plus transiting uranus is opposing transiting saturn from my desc.

I ask whether anyone can give me insight into what issues I may reasonably expect to deal with in this current picture? I am concerned because I think the saturn/asc conjunction will be exact when I am in the middle east this may - july (my first time there). I will be doing archaeological fieldwork. But I am worried that the project may be more than I can handle/torture...and noticing these transits to my natal chart made me worry even more!

I appreciate your insight into this matter! If it helps my natal info is: Dec. 29, 1984 (Toronto, Canada), 22:33

Best - chickens1

Hi There,

As Yuzuru has said its quite archetypal astrology. Digging up the past is classic Saturn. :D

Its natural to feel some anxiety with Saturn on the ASC. Saturn is often about our deepest fears and anxieties and here its connecting to your sense of identity and insecurities over your competency to handle whats ahead. Plus with Virgo rising its probably worse. Noone knows how to worry themselves silly better than a Virgo! Another thing about Saturn transits is that they often implies work...hard work. Personally, I think digging in sweltering hot temperatures is hard sounding work but each to their own.

In a lot of ways the transits here just mirror the dramatic nature of what you are undertaking. A new venture in a different part of the world that carries responsibities. The Saturn-IC/Uranus square probably just reflects the total change of location/job. As you note Saturn is also squaring your ASC/MC ruler mercury. Squares usually represent something tangible happening in the real world. Trines and sextiles frequently dont materialize beyond pleasant feelings. I would be surprised if these kind of things could be happening in your life represented by just trines.

Jupiter will be transiting your 9th house ruler (Venus) by conjunction just as you head off abroad. It is transiting your 6th house so that combined with the Saturn being your 6th house ruler makes me think you need to avoid overdoing it and watch your health. The 6th house is often just seen as being about work and ill health in modern astrology. However, it can imply drudgery and heavy work demands. It was originally the house associated with slaves....If your in a supervisory role there may be a few problems with subordinates. Mind you Saturn rules your 5th house of fun natally too and you do have Jupiter ( in Capricorn) in the 5th natally. So its fun but serious fun. :shock:

I doubt the issue will be about your abilities. Thats the fear here not the reality. Saturn will not tolerate failure! If this had been a Jupiter transit maybe. I would be more concerned you work so hard to make it a success you dont give yourself enough time to relax or socialize.

As you mention transiting Uranus is hovering over your 7th house cusp. It may just indicate the new people in your life or something more. Plus Jupiter ( ruler of the 7th house) transiting your 6th house which many astrologers associate with a work environment.. :wink:

We can all read too much into our transits. They really should be combined with other predictive tools to get an accurate picture. However, on the basis of what you have going on here I dont think your fears are really well founded. Have a good trip and remember to enjoy yourself. :lala
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Thank you for your replies!

Yes, Yuzuru, archaeology is certainly Saturnian!

MarkC, I really appreciate your reassurance that my Virgonian worries are exaggerated, helps me relax :)

I agree that these transits reflect what I'm actually doing; I find that aspect so interesting and it reminds me why I love astrology.

The 6th house action you highlight certainly makes sense - I think I will be the 'slave' on this project, no supervising for me. Not sure about the 'fun' part though; archaeologists drink a lot, but that doesn't always help to ease the discomfort, ha!

I suppose I should also consider progressions, or 'secondary progressions' too.

In short: I am glad you do not think my fears are well founded.

Many thanks!
chickens

Just one more thing to add on the transits. I forgot to mention that Saturn is obviously forming an applying trine to your natal Jupiter over this period. Saturn is also Jupiter's dispositor natally and by transit. I think that helps to mitigate some of the more negative implications of the other Saturn aspects here.

Beyond transits yes take a look at other predictive systems. I would start with your Solar Return. Transits are really just triggers of themes brought out in longer terms charts. Secondary progressions are usefu. I find the progressed Moon a particularly good barometer of life focus. I quite like solar arcs too. Taking a more simplistic approach I often take a quick look by simply moving the planets/angles a degree for a year (The Radix system-recommended by Charles Carter) the major thing I see is the IC moving over your Sun in Capricorn. Jupiter is also forming a sextile to Uranus and Mercury. Seems quite appropriate here! I know it sounds ridiculously simple but it often seems to work.

If you a clearer cut predictive tool though you might consider casting a horary. That would probably deliver a clearer answer than the natal chart.

All the best

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

hello

I have the similar transits and I am very sorry to have these transits this time, currently
saturn 15 degrees , my natal mecury is in sag at 12 degrees in 3rd house.

Saturn also trines my mars in 4th

uranus is 24 degrees aspecting my sun and neptune which conjuncts IC, so they kind of have a wide t-square.

I am studying an mba degree and i work at the same time,
I am dissatisfied with my job and I am too overloaded to work on lessons
And this semestr is extremely difficult , it seems I may stop the MBA studies. I am crying time to time , feeling really upset about my situation.
Saturn return will happen soon and whenever I had a saturn transit the events are delayed. I remember when saturn opposed my sun and conjuncted MC, I couldn't graduate university.

I am expecting the same type of result , But overall I am too exhausted and would give everything for a break...

Especially these last two weeks are very overloaded with projects at work, presentations and exams and homeworks at university, I checked my chart, saturn is retro in virgo and aspecting mercury.

I am only praying not to lose my job...

chickens1 wrote:....archaeologists drink a lot, but that doesn't always help to ease the discomfort...
It's better not to drink (much) alcohol during Saturn transits. The negative sides of alcohol (hangovers, melancholic feelings) appear to work stronger.
In short: I am glad you do not think my fears are well founded.
Johannes Kepler wrote on Wallensteins chart (who had Saturn on the Ascendant) among other things. "Saturn disorders imagination so that he (Wallenstein) often has inexplicable fear."
http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/3039261.pdf

I have the similar transits and I am very sorry to have these transits this time
Hi Seasand
I'm sorry to hear about your worries and I'm sure a lot of people are going through similar anxieties at this time. I'm not sure it helps to over-analyse the difficult transits. Remember that the planets don't cause bad experiences, they are only the astrological pointers to the times when you need to brace yourself and keep a sense of responsibility and stoic determination.
Especially these last two weeks are very overloaded with projects at work, presentations and exams and homeworks at university, I checked my chart, saturn is retro in virgo and aspecting mercury.
You've probably seen everything you need to see. It's going to be hard, but it will pass. You are remembering the failure of last time and that's obviously not helping you so try a different approach. Think of Saturn as the wise old teacher who will guide you through this if you keep your sense of duty for the period while it lasts. Don't cry, just resign yourself to the fact that the next few weeks require a sacrifice, and get a little more determined. If you embrace Saturn it might turn out better than if you try to reject him.

And good luck - you can still have some of that, even in a Saturn transit!
Deb

Re: Transiting Saturn conjunct Asc

chickens1 wrote:Dear All,

My Asc is at roughly 16 degrees Virgo and as such I'm currently under the influence of transiting saturn conjunct my ascendant. Saturn is also squaring my natal mercury/uranus conjunction on the IC. Plus transiting uranus is opposing transiting saturn from my desc.

I ask whether anyone can give me insight into what issues I may reasonably expect to deal with in this current picture?
I was glad to see Deb saying that the planets don't cause bad experiences!

My experience is that the planetary functions, the sign energies, and the house activities show us the Meanings we must deal with and our (plus others') free will determines the specific events. There is the influence of the subconscious on our "free will" decisions but I feel a careful study of the Meanings in the chart is sufficient protection from negative buried influences.

Since Saturn/Uranus is transiting the Asc/Desc axis and Saturn is squaring natal Uranus, these two functions take obvious center stage.

Here are some positive meanings for Saturn and Uranus:

Saturn
Defining
Clarifying
Structuring
Organizing

Uranus
Transforming
Breaking Obsolete Traditions
Seeking the Truth
Exploring Fresh Ideas

Here are some positive meanings for the 1st, 7th, and 4th house:

1st House
Focus on the Present.
See Things from My Own Perspective.
See Things Clearly.
Truly Be Who I Am.

7th House
Begin (or, Refresh) a Relationship.
Be Aware of the Other Person?s Perspective.
Initiate Sharing.
Find a Compensating Viewpoint.

4th House
Anchor Myself.
Nourish My Roots.
Fertilize the Situation.
Ground Myself.

Now the signs involved:

Virgo
Discrimination
Systems and Techniques
Careful Considerations
a Service Attitude

Pisces
Sympathetic Awareness
Compassionate Understanding
Universal Feeling
Visionary Initiative

Sagittarius
a Broad Viewpoint
Philosophical Appraisal
a Top-Down View
an Idealistic Awareness

Naturally, all factors of the chart need to be appraised but, if the current major players are well understood the rest of your functions, energies, and activities should "toe the line". My reason for saying this is analogous to saying that if your heart and liver are performing well, your other organs will work well, too.

Just an analogy--no medical information intended... 8)

p.s. Mark made a cogent comment about looking to your Progressions. To me, astrology is a three-tiered system: Natal > Progressed > Transit...
Last edited by amzolt on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Alex from Astrological Repair Manual

chickens1, My asc is a bit later than yours is in Virgo, and I am positively looking forward to Saturn moving into my first house. This is a good transit for losing weight! The first house concerns the body; and Saturn constricts or restricts. I last had this transit about 30 years ago, not long after the birth of my son, and all those excess pregnancy pounds came off very quickly--and then some.

Hello Again:

Waybread: That does sound good and I'm glad it worked out for you like that :)

On the subject of physical appearance, since we are dealing with the 1st house, I should mention that I have psoriasis (a chronic skin condition; and Saturn rules skin correct?). My psoriasis has been getting worse over the last 2-3 years and has been spreading like crazy over the last year or so. Unfortunately, I am back to worrying since I think Saturn entering the first house might hint that my psoriasis will only get worse before it goes back into remission. It is a big pain, and has been ocurring in places I've never had it before (all over my back, on my neck and forehead...and spreading). So far it's been manageable - I'll keep my fingers crossed. On the plus side, perhaps Saturn moving further into my 1st will have the effect of oppressing the overactive immune responses which are thought to cause this condition? I can dream. The point is, the whole thing seems very Saturn/1st house-ish to me.

Amzolt: Thank you for the positive meanings, I will try to focus on those aspects of the dynamics in question. I feel like I'm currently consumed by a tug-of-war between getting my act together in terms of my personal/professional goals (saturn) and making the necessary changes I need to actualize those goals (uranus).

Since my upcoming fieldwork is tied into a 1-yr Master's program in archaeology that I will begin this fall, I am feeling concerned about what this degree will give me in terms of professional development - I've been trying to be brutally honest with myself about what I want and need in order to better assess whether a career in archaeology is right for me. So over this past year, I've been working in a different setting, and now I'm convinced I no longer want to be an archaeologist. But I'm doing this program anyway, because it's only one year and I have external funding, and I do enjoy the research process/broadening my horizons through study - however, at present I do not feel gung ho about it and this is creating some unease to say the least. I am perhaps naively hoping the fieldwork will help me get back into archaeology enough for me to complete the program and get out. Not a good strategy. I want to go to law school. It's a tricky situation, which brings me to...

Seasand: I am sorry to hear about your situation. Fortunately, if we focus on the positive aspects of Saturn, your situation could be helping you separate the chaff out of your life to get to the seed; (in the long term, because I think saturn works IN THE LONG TERM) it will make you a stronger person who knows what they don't want and can finally approach what they do want in sustained, focused manner.

Even though I initiated this somewhat inflammatory anti-saturn post, I must admit that I have always liked saturnian energy (maybe because of my capricorn-ness) because it is the only planetary influence that, through its trials, puts me into a position where I am finally able to appreciate myself and what I have. The struggle breeds meaning.

Eddy: Excellent quote, should be my mantra!

MarkC: I may play with an horary - and I will definitely look into the progressions, I did not know that about the progressed moon being a good index of life focus.

Thanks again! chickens1