I usually don't pay much much attention to receptions because in my experience (relatively limited, I admit) it hasn't seemed to have mattered much if the significators aren't in aspect.
Agreed. There has to be an aspect to make it happen.
However, in this case with Sun doing multiple receptions and on an angle, as well as Mars in his domicile, I wonder if it might mean it's a possibility in the future
That is encouraging! While continuing to analyze the chart and still trying to make a "Yes" out of this "No" - I really, really want to make this work - maybe not right now, but at least start laying the groundwork for the future - I noticed something that gives another possible positive bent to this chart - collection!

Lilly describes collection as:
Matters are also brought to perfection, when as the two principall Significators doe not behold one another, but both cast their severall Aspects to a more weighty Planet then themselves, and they both receive him in some of their essential dignities; then shall that Planet who thus collects both their Lights, bring the thing demanded to perfection: which signifies no more in Art then this, that a Person somewhat interested in both parties and described and signified by that Planet, shall perform, effect and conclude the thing which otherwise could not be perfected: As many times you see two fall at variance, and of themselves cannot think of any way of accommodation, when suddenly a neighbour or friend accidentally reconciles all differences, to the content of both parties: And this is called Collection.
Taking a look at the chart, the Moon and the Sun do not behold each other. However, the Moon is coming to a sextile with Jupiter (the more weighty planet), and then the Sun comes to a square to Jupiter (also more weighty than the Sun), therefore, Jupiter is collecting the light of the Moon and the Sun and bringing them together. Furthermore, (much to my relief) Jupiter receives the Moon into its dignity, and the Sun into its terms, so there is some form of mixed reception between all three planets. There is reception the other way round as well, the Moon receives Jupiter into its face (not very strong, but still better than nothing...), although sadly the Sun is in the detriment of Jupiter.

So now the question is, if this is collection, who is Jupiter? Well, my son at the young age of 17 has dreams and visions truly characteristic of the young at heart, and he has been encouraging me for the past five months to consider starting a business of my own. He is like a sponge that absorbs information (because he wants to start his own business, possibly at the tender age of 19), has done extensive research on this, and has provided me with a list of books to read, excellent advise and other ideas on how to make it succeed. I myself have a tendency to let go of my dreams, but his burning desire to make something more out of life could very well be the driving force that makes me pursue this further. Jupiter just so happens to be the ruler of the 5th!

So what do you think? Is my wishful thinking turning this whole chart inside out? Old habits die hard, I used to try to turn "No" into a "Yes" all the time in the old days when I first started learning horary!!
:)

I noticed something that gives another possible positive bent to this chart - collection!.....
Taking a look at the chart, the Moon and the Sun do not behold each other. However, the Moon is coming to a sextile with Jupiter (the more weighty planet), and then the Sun comes to a square to Jupiter (also more weighty than the Sun), therefore, Jupiter is collecting the light of the Moon and the Sun and bringing them together. Furthermore, (much to my relief) Jupiter receives the Moon into its dignity, and the Sun into its terms, so there is some form of mixed reception between all three planets.
So now the question is, if this is collection, who is Jupiter? Well, my son at the young age of 17 has dreams and visions truly characteristic of the young at heart, and he has been encouraging me for the past five months to consider starting a business of my own. He is like a sponge that absorbs information (because he wants to start his own business, possibly at the tender age of 19), has done extensive research on this, and has provided me with a list of books to read, excellent advise and other ideas on how to make it succeed. I myself have a tendency to let go of my dreams, but his burning desire to make something more out of life could very well be the driving force that makes me pursue this further. Jupiter just so happens to be the ruler of the 5th!
Hi T :-)

I've been studying this horary quietly and although I did see the application of the Sun and Moon to Jupiter I have to admit that I completely missed the fact that this is a solid case of Collection of light, so congratulations for spotting it. You're learning! In my defence I've been struggling with a bad back this past week so I'm putting that down as a valid reason for missing it :-) I do think that Jupiter fits the description of your son in that he (your son) has been promoting and encouraging you to read, study, do your own research etc and the fact that your son resides in your home fits the description of Jupiter as L5 in the 4th. His wisdom, knowledge and enthusiasm, plus his love and respect for you ( receiving, as he does, the Moon into his dignity) just may clear a path for you to connect with your career aspirations. Bear in mind though that the Collection is an *indirect* path to judgement and requires the assistance and cooperation of a third party. The Moon receives Jupiter only by face therefore there is always the danger that you -the Moon - could simply lose interest in his offer of help. Don't let that happen if you want to move forward with this.
So what do you think? Is my wishful thinking turning this whole chart inside out? Old habits die hard, I used to try to turn "No" into a "Yes" all the time in the old days when I first started learning horary!!
Really? I have no recollection of that. :lala

Cheers,
Pete

I've been studying this horary quietly
Sir Peter...FINALLY.... I get a response from you... what took you so long?
In my defence I've been struggling with a bad back this past week
Oh OK....

Carol, in case you're wondering, Sir Peter is the B E S T astrologer in the W H O L E world (after Deb, of course). He has the dubious honor of responding to my desperate pleas for help with a horary in this forum more than anyone else, I think... although, in this particular case, he missed the collection piece!!

......loosing our touch, are we, Sir Peter? (The bad back - that's a really lame excuse, by the way...) :wink:
and although I did see the application of the Sun and Moon to Jupiter I have to admit that I completely missed the fact that this is a solid case of Collection of light, so congratulations for spotting it. You're learning!
Well, thank you!
I do think that Jupiter fits the description of your son in that he (your son) has been promoting and encouraging you to read, study, do your own research etc and the fact that your son resides in your home fits the description of Jupiter as L5 in the 4th.
Hey, I never caught the 4rth house signification. Cool!!
His wisdom, knowledge and enthusiasm, plus his love and respect for you ( receiving, as he does, the Moon into his dignity) just may clear a path for you to connect with your career aspirations.
Wow! Honestly, I really want to make this work, I KNOW I can do it (that's me, Mars, strong in its own sign), I just have to carry through with it (Mars trapped in the 6th). I'm so excited...
Bear in mind though that the Collection is an *indirect* path to judgement and requires the assistance and cooperation of a third party. The Moon receives Jupiter only by face therefore there is always the danger that you -the Moon - could simply lose interest in his offer of help. Don't let that happen if you want to move forward with this.

You're right - like I said, I sometimes don't follow through with my own dreams, get lazy or just side-tracked. But right now I've never felt a stronger need to make something on my own, and I know he will give me the push that I need to just keep going and make it happen.
Really? I have no recollection of that.
Well, this is the first time I think that I've turned a "No" into a "Yes" and you haven't dashed my hopes to the ground!!

Oh, I'm so excited, finally a "Yes" horary!! While it's not perfect, perfect, but when was the last time ANY one got a perfect "yes" horary?

:lol:

yuzuru wrote:I agree. Other thing that I have noticed is that many times the "likings" are not show by position by sign, as Frawley suggest, but by position by house and by aspects.
I second that. It's not uncommon to see house position having more weigth than sign position in the "liking" process.

Gunhilde wrote:

If we use this chart, the Sun in Taurus is in the sign of Mars' detriment, and Mars is of course in the sign of the Sun's exaltation, etc. etc.
To me, this shows how much the querent wants the business (mars exults sun) but starting a business will not easy for her (sun in detriment of mars).

Cooking and floristry are similar professions, imo. Both are creative and "feminine". How would you look to see which business is best for the querent?. If mars is the 6th, does that mean her energy could be better directed to the kitchen?

PallasAthene wrote:Cooking and floristry are similar professions, imo. Both are creative and "feminine". How would you look to see which business is best for the querent?. If mars is the 6th, does that mean her energy could be better directed to the kitchen?

Mars is far better suited to working in the culinary field, dealing as it does, with sharp utensils, metal and heat.

Cheers,
Pete

Mars is far better suited to working in the culinary field, dealing as it does, with sharp utensils, metal and heat.
Huh? :?

I got all excited about starting my own business, but now I'm confused as to which direction to take...I thought the proposed business was leaning towards flowers based on prior discussions...??

Sorry Taurus7, I'm learning so try to pick up any and all tips and tend to ask lots of questions and think out loud.

You are mars, in 6th.. I thought 6th would represent kitchen as it is a place of service, but I've since found out kitchen is 4th house... The mars association with heat, metal etc would still place you there in the kitchen as Pete says.

The new career is sun, disposited by venus... and venus rules cake! (The Rulership Book, Rex Bills, p200) And all artistic endeavours (flower arranging).. hmm. But this is really a commercial venture, not just artistic.

In the sports forum, Andrew Bevan says this:

A debilated planet joined to a planet that is dignified in that same place experiences the debilation as lifted and nullified, and enjoys the stature and resources of the dignified planet.

This would link the debilitated venus, very strongly with the exaulted mars. Great for the new project!!! And taking us back to the heat of the oven. (Mars rules cooks, cooking p217 Is that why chefs are so feisty? Gordon Ramsey ; ) However, you may consider the orb too large for a conjunction and it is separating...

Now, you discussed the cooking business as mail order. This is a 3rd house activity? And that house is intercepted... Just noticed, 7th, customers, is also intercepted. So I think it is the marketing side that you really need to think about.. attracting, communicating with and keeping customers. And with Algol on 8th cusp.. don't loose your head over borrowing money!

But you didn't say how you would operate the the florist business? Mail order also? Market stall? Shop? Delivering in person?

In the sports forum, Andrew Bevan says this:

A debilated planet joined to a planet that is dignified in that same place experiences the debilation as lifted and nullified, and enjoys the stature and resources of the dignified planet.
This is an interesting statement and mirrors somewhat a rule in Vedic astrology which says that a fallen planet loses it's debility if it is angular and its ruler is exalted or in its own sign. Venus' lord - Mars - is here in its own sign but the two are cadent, showing a somewhat difficult or challenging path to perfection. The 6th is never an easy house to dwell in and is beset with difficulties but Mars has the resources, experience and will to overcome them, *if the effort is made*. The sixth house is the joy of Mars because Mars loves a good challenge and doesn't think a job is worth doing unless one has worked up a good sweat!
This would link the debilitated venus, very strongly with the exaulted mars. Great for the new project!!! And taking us back to the heat of the oven. (Mars rules cooks, cooking p217 Is that why chefs are so feisty? Gordon Ramsey ; ) However, you may consider the orb too large for a conjunction and it is separating...
True, Venus never does reach Mars before Mars slips into Taurus but that doesn't really matter imho because Mars doesn't actually need Venus to function, he has enough juice of his own to cut through the obstacles. Venus in Aries isn't delicate flower arrangements but I do see a delicious cake baking in a hot oven!

What interests me is the collection of light by Jupiter from the Moon and Sun. This links lord 10 with the co-sig Moon and brings them together via the 5th house, firmly rooted in the 4th. To me this is teaching, promoting, publishing and disseminating knowledge. After the collection is over, Mars sextiles that Jupiter so I feel Jupiter is the key here.

Cheers,
Pete