Q on lack of a certain type of aspect in a natal chart

hello all,

I have a question regarding my natal chart. I have been stuying astrology for about 4 months now and I could not find an answer despite all my reSearch.

there are no oppositions in my natal chaRt at all. I use relatively normal orbs for oppositions 7 - 8 for luminaries 5 - 6 for planets.

do you think lack of a certin aspect tYpe has any significanCe in a natal chart?

many thanks in advance for you input.
kivikusu

Hello Kivikusu

Here is what French-speaking astrologer Pierre Lassalle says about a person having no oppositions in his/her chart.

The native thinks he knows everything about relating to other people, but he is mistaken. He has difficulty in facing reality. He is very subjective and has illusions about himself and others.

I have not had the opportunity to check this rule on actual charts. However, I did find some confirmation for what he said about charts without a square : the person does not understand challenges and has a tendency to choose the easy way. In any case, one can overcome such tendencies by making a conscious effort.

Regards
Martine

Although one might lack certain aspects in the radical chart, do keep in mind that with time, be it through transits or progressions, one will be exposed to either squares, oppositions, etc; thus [hopefully] enabling one to understand the particular dynamics of such aspects.

james

hi there,
thank you for you replies

martine...

regarding the comment "he native thinks he knows everything about relating to other people, but he is mistaken. He has difficulty in facing reality. He is very subjective and has illusions about himself and others."

I kind of relate to this, especially the latter part, "he has difficulty in facing reality. He is very subjective and has illusions about himself and others."
misjudgment and disappointment that follows are common themes in my life. I tend to see what I want to see, and focus on positives only, or in an other way; I cant see the negatives. I also have sun in libra, moon in cancer, I have this big utopic idea of perfect harmony and I cant deal with conflict very well..

O I guess the author you quote has a poinT.

jerd..

I see what you are saying, that is quite true indeed. based on this may we say that since a person lacking opp. aspects does not have the natural resource, during an opposition transit the natiVe may have relatively more difficulty dealing with theSe transits. I guess during an opposition I must be extra careful.
kivikusu

kivikusu wrote:jerd..

I see what you are saying, that is quite true indeed. based on this may we say that since a person lacking opp. aspects does not have the natural resource, during an opposition transit the natiVe may have relatively more difficulty dealing with theSe transits. I guess during an opposition I must be extra careful.
Extra careful perhaps. Considering another's point of view, accepting compromise in a situation, allowing another's input and suggestions are but a few examples of positive resolutions to an opposition. Time and willingness to learn/grow are on your side.

james

I have read no oppositions implies that you have difficulty maintaining objectivity or perspective. My sister has no oppositions, and most of her planets fall in Sagittarius in the 3rd house, and I guess she doesn't have a Gemini planet chiming in with an opposite perspective. It could be said she doesn't always have the objectivity to try and balance out her more enthusiastic and expansive nature. Carol Rushman believes that people without oppositions have a hard time learning from their mistakes. This is because the opposition mirrors everything back and they need to learn how to walk in other people's shoes.

If I remember right Bill Tierney compares oppositions to the sign Libra and so perhaps this is where all these astrological observations are stemming from. However, not every body's planets all have oppositions and I don't think those planets necessarily lack perspective. And I don't think it's a bad thing to be biased towards one mode of action, it's your predisposition. I think it also depends on the chart, if you have a heavy Libra chart or 7th house I think you can see the others point of view perfectly well. Air signs in general like to talk, communicate, relate and take in all perspectives even if the chart had no oppositions. I have Sun in Pisces opposite Saturn in Virgo and sometimes I can do without Saturn's critical and often harsh perspective :-cry . I am OK, it really gets hard sometimes having to answer to Saturn daily. :)
"A man's character is his fate".

wow julie!!!
that is quite an answer!! very insightful indeed!!..
thank you soo much.
kivikusu

NO OPPOSITIONS IN A NATAL CHART

?A natal chart without at least one opposition reveals a definite handicap in the life.? Marc Edmund Jones.

The deficiency represents a specific necessity that life challenges you to meet.
This constitutes a very dynamic factor in your make-up and because nature abhors a vacuum, you cannot help but try to redress the imbalance and fill the void. Without oppositions you, yourself, must provide the internal directing force required to give direction to your life. Otherwise you may drift here and there never finding your direction and destiny.

This can be an exceptional opportunity to shape your destiny according to your own desires and visions and to direct your life according to inner motives rather than external, normal, worldly, superficial reasons. If you can find within you a strong motive, a reason connected to something deep in you, something personal and stirring, a strong desire to accomplish or to serve, your own psychological drive then, because it is an internal directing force, you are able to strike out on your own in the direction of your choosing unhampered by normal convention. You are able to do your own thing.

FDR, JFK, Andre Kertesz, Bob Dylan, Fredrico Fellini, Bill Clinton, Amelia Earhart, Harrison Ford, O.J. Simpson, Barbra Streisand, Jerry Brown, Kim Novak, Dan White, Steve Martin, David Bowie, Mae West, Josh Groban, Milosevic, Bernard Madoff, Erin Sullivan, Baudelaire, Dostoevsky, John Keats.

Think about each of the people in this small list and notice how each one, in their own way, did their own thing, whether for good or bad.

The other possibility is you do not choose an inner directing force and without an external directing force in your life suggested by the lack of oppositions, you may find your life spinning out of control for a lack of direction and a refusal to come to terms with the demands of the real world and so a life lost to idle fantasy and wishful thinking.
Last edited by ~Kent~ on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

I have this same problem, I think it has contributed greatly to feelings of depressions, wanting so badly to be motivated, but unable to find the energy or inative..

Okay, you have not been given a direction, a characteristic attitude or a natural way to approach life, what Jones calls a Natural Disposition and it is a handicap but it is not a show stopper. If you can step up to the plate and provide direction from within, then you have more freedom to act unhampered. This can be a gift or a handicap depending on how much you come forward, or not, to meet it.

Consider FDR with no oppositions to limit the great man to any one specific approach.
He has freedom from dependence on any one type of solution. He is not limited to a narrow field of solutions or a singular approach. The absence of oppositions is actually a blessing and encourages looking for solutions from a much broader range of choices which makes possible the original solutions and out-of-the-box thinking the nation needed in the midst of economic collapse and stagnation.

During Roosevelt's legendary first 100 days the new White House sent Congress a record number of bills, all of which passed easily. These included the creation of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, and the Tennessee Valley Authority. Congress also gave the Federal Trade Commission broad new regulatory powers, and provided mortgage relief to millions of farmers and homeowners.

It is the beginning of the New Deal on a national scale and a redefinition of the power and efficacy of the White House to solve the most important national problems.

Both Jones and Robert Jansky describe a chart without an opposition as having a gyroscopic quality. Without oppositions there is ?a self-stabilization, a free-wheeling rotation of the self about its own axis that can be the basis of a genuine creative power.? If you have ever held a spinning gyroscope in your hands you felt the powerful force it exerts to remain on course when it is spinning about its own center.

I have tons of oppositions in my chart. I can't believe that someone would write that a lack of oppositions is a disadvantage! Especially in a way that expresses negativity towards someone without viewing the entire chart.

One potential problem with oppositions is that the native tends to identify more with one planet's energies than with the other. When a planet opposes his sun, he is apt to paste his disowned nature on other individuals who seemingly embody its negative characteristics. Saturn in an opposition tends to limit or frustrate expression of the other planet. And so on.

Alternatively, the native may "blow hot and cold" as he see-saws between the two opposing energies.

So not having this dynamic in one's chart would seem to me to be advantageous. Of course, the lack of oppositions doesn't mean the individual won't be coping with tough squares, hard-to-reconcile quincunxes or whatnot.