Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

1/12/10: 7.0 Haiti earthquake causes massive destruction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Bevan

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jansky's work on Eclipses is one of the standard works.
I could also refer to De Vore's Encyclopedia of Astrology.
Olivia

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - that was Jonas.

Is tbere somewhere on the web to find which eclipses are which? I mean how they translate between the two numbering systems.
dr. farr

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph Needham has been mentioned above relative to Chinese astrological science (the ancient Chinese made no formal distinction between calendrical, astronomical and astrological science); however, more recent historical research (especially from the Chinese themselves) question the accuracy of some of Needham's earlier work and take issue particularly with Needham's conclusions/pronouncements regarding several matters. For instance, Needham states that the Chinese day began at midnight: the reality is that the Chinese day begins with the 2 hour long time period starting at 11 PM. In my studies of Chinese astrological concepts I have discovered many contradictions between what various Western-authored books allege, and what the Chinese astrologers themselves actually say! This is a very interesting area of investigation and I plan to make some postings relative to my "findings" in the near future, in the Philosophy & Science section.
dr. farr

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Bevan wrote:
The fact that the seismic tensions actually do tend to be repeated with the 90 degree siderical motion of the Moon, may be one of the strongest arguments for a serious scientific enquiry into the astrological. It's a good starting point, in my opinion anyhow.

Relative to the 1/12 Haiti quake, note that:
-the quake occured during the planetary hour of the Moon
-Moon is Lord of the Ascendant/First House in the quake chart
-Moon was in the starry constellation of Scorpio at the time of the quake (Moon "falls" in both the sign and the starry constellation of Scorpio)
-Moon squares Saturn (Significator of the Part of Destruction) in the quake chart
Andrew Bevan

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Relative to the 1/12 Haiti quake, note that:
-the quake occured during the planetary hour of the Moon
-Moon is Lord of the Ascendant/First House in the quake chart.

While your observation is interesting my opinion is that the planetary hours should not be applied to mundane events where a human element is not part cause of the action. Keeping things apart could be an important element in a structured study.
dr. farr

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+I agree with Andrew that, in a scientifically-oriented structured study, the more symbolic elements (like planetary hours) probably should be kept apart from conventionally-understandable, mechanistically oriented techniques (such as planetary positions vis-a-vis the earth, angles of aspect, etc)...

+HOWEVER, for our own practice of astrological analysis-and to enhance our predictive abilities- as mentioned by me previously, I believe the current state of mundane astrology to be the "weakest" of all branches of the astrological art, and therefore I submit that we need to try techniques and considerations-including those of a symbolical nature like planetary hours-which are not currently applied to typical mundane practice (such as those techniques and considerations in my list of suggestions posted earlier in this thread)
Andrew Bevan

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have applied planetary hours and the question of radicality at the Sports and Speculations section the last few years, and although this enterprize is smitten by hazard and error we have formed some interesting ideas on possible influences while enjoying both the fun and exercise. The difference, when compared with earthquakes and seismic phenomena, is that football matches come under civil affairs, while the plates in the Earth's crust and changes in the atmosphere don't give a damn whether it is Monday, Wednesday or Thursday.

Don't get me wrong on this because the practice of planetary hours definately belongs to our astrological traditions and it is probably one tool or discipline that we either have mostly forgotten or not yet fully explored. So I think that questions should be raised. One of those issues that is boggling me at the moment, and which concerns planetary hours, is the problem of time adjustments. Clocks get changed for summer time. Civil affairs are highly affected, yet the planetary hours are not. However, people and household animals alike get rather distorted in a period of adjustment.
dr. farr

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...But do the plates in the earth's crust or the state of the atmosphere "give-a-damn" about subtle macrocosmic influences or the QUALITY and cycles of TIME, which we refer to as "Mars", "Moon", "Jupiter", "Aries", "Taurus", etc, etc? Or do they only respond to an as yet unknown, undetermined physical energy relationship with the bodies of celestial objects? Or both??
I do not claim to know the answer to these questions, but my personal belief system leads me to accept a "yes" answer to my first question and therefore to proceed in practical matters AS IF that answer were valid.
Andrew Bevan

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions. I don't think we should get too deeply into a discussion on planetary hours under this thread, but I do conceive the topic of planetary hours as a matter of Office and Shop, ie. knocking at the right door at the right time. Going to the Baker for Bread, Butcher for Pork, etc.

That the planets are the markers of spheres or various fields of experience, whether these be psychological or mundane, that is an issue upon which I am sure that we totally agree.

Re. planetary hours - see if you can come up with any observations of similar effects. It would be interesting. Was the moment radical?
Andrew Bevan

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, there is the aspect of how the consequences of this earthquake in particular, hitting a densely populated area, was translated and had effect upon human affairs. So even if the planetary hour thing does not trigger the quake, it could still have something to do with a state of human misfortune.

Dr. Farr - You introduce an element which is not only based upon the planetary hour, but the essential state and dignity of it's ruler. I'm still questioning whether this is the right connection to make, but it is valuable if the idea can be supported. The Moon in her detriment, Scorpio, may be testimony enough.
kurgal

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my earlier comments about the transiting Saturn/Pluto square over critical points of Haiti's chart, I note that transiting Saturn turns retrograde and passes back over Haiti's Saturn over February. Saturn moves forward over that point of Haiti's chart again in August/September, whilst Pluto passes back again in retrograde over the same points ...

With these transits, one would expect continuing serious problems and a slow recovery (probably fairly obvious in the circumstances, but the astrology seems to confirm this).
granny_skot

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
I'm curious did any astrologers predict it?

I doubt it. We are not employed to do such work. Our efforts and activities are not structured in that manner. We do not have the resources of NASA and it should not be required that we provide evidence of being able to make that specific delivery.

A lot of us Californians had and have been wondering if we were going to get hit again as it was a Saturn Pluto Square that hit us the last time 1994... Though Saturn was in Aquarius I believe for that one. But I know I didnt' look to see who else it might affect.

Granny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Mundane & Financial Astrology All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: