Will I win prize in photo contest

Hi,
I went on a cross country trip America, took lots of pictures, and subsequently competed in a photo contest for pictures taken in the National Parks of America. The contest is currently in the judging phase, and I asked the question "Will I win a prie in photo contest?". The top two prizes are a paid vacation to any national park of choice, subsequent prizes are cameras, photo equipment, etc.

Question asked 2:19 AM, Jan 10, 2011 in Mississauga, Canada; 8 deg 03 minutes Scorpio ascendant.

So here's how I went about it:
I am Mars, exalted, in the third ihouse n Capricorn, and the Moon in Pisces.

Since I am specifically asking about a contest, and a prize, I am looking for contacts between Mars (me) or the Moon and the 2nd (possessions, prize), 10th (honor, distinction, judges in authority), 11th (boons from the "King"), 1st and 7th (competition between 1st and 7th) and the 5th (recreation, contest is fun, and the grand prizes is a recreational opportunity). I am also looking for contacts between Mercury (pictures) and Jupiter (judge, benefits, etc.).

So first of all, the Moon is about to conjunct Jupiter in the 5th, although Uranus is in the middle; but Uranus itself reprsents digital images, so I'm not too concerned about that, so to me this is positive.

Mars is within orb of sextile to Jupiter with reception, but Mercury is within orb of square to Jupiter with one way reception and I think gets to Jupiter first. Mercury is positioned in my 2nd, so this could also represent my pictures.

The Moon appears to be translating the light of Mars to Mercury, so my pictures are getting to the judges (Jupiter), or my pictures are getting to the ultimate prize, which is the paid vacation to the recreational parks?

So I think I may get one of the secondary prizes... what do you think?

OK, no one's responding so I thought I'll give it another trigger so that someone will say someting.... :(

I am Mars and the Moon and I am taking Jupiter to signify the prize; by virtue of it being Jupiter, and also ruler of the 5th, which would be a good reflection of the 1st two prizes (paid vacation to National Park).

Exalted Mars is coming to a sextile with Jupiter in dignity in two degrees. However, Mercury makes a square to Jupiter first. BUT Mercury is in detriment and the weakest planet in the chart, and ruler of the 8th and 11th, so does that really count?

The Moon (strong in its triplicity) appears to be conjuncting Jupiter in the fifth but sadly Mercury once again gets in the way, since it squares mercury and then goes on to conjoin Jupiter.

The Moon is also separating from Mars and aspecting Mercury; i.e. translating the light from Mars to Mercury. The Moon is the ruler of the 9th (long distance journey, which could be the national park which is far away from where I live), and Mercury then goes on to aspect Jupiter. Is this some form of translation?

The Sun (judges) and Mars (me) are in mutual reception by face. The Sun is moving in to conjoin Mars (I am combust, it's true), but Mars aspects Jupiter first.

Now if you take it from the "competition" perspective, I am Mars, exalted, and Venus is the 7th (my competitors), with no dignity and sad shape
:D

I think there's a lot of action going on in this chart, but Mercury appears to be interposing itself each time, but it's such a weak Mercury, and everything else is strong. Can Mercury keep me from getting the prize?

Also, what house or planet would signify a "prize"?

Hope someone responds... :?

The Moon (strong in its triplicity) appears to be conjuncting Jupiter in the fifth but sadly Mercury once again gets in the way, since it squares mercury and then goes on to conjoin Jupiter.
Hello T :)
well I thought I'd wade in here since no-one else seems willing at the moment and I can see this is important to you. With respect to the above quote, I don't think it's a case of Mercury getting "in the way". In his excellent article on the different forms of perfection, Graeme Tobyn gives this scenario, when referring to Abu Mash'ar's "Alternative" Translation of Light:

Mercury 15 Virgo Venus 16 Virgo Jupiter 21 Virgo

Here Mercury conjoins Venus, then Jupiter, finally Venus conjoins Jupiter. But we might argue that Mercury is applying to Jupiter but Venus is in the way! Can the interposition of Venus - like an enticing sweet shop (Venus), standing in the way of the boy (Mercury) and his bible studies at church (Jupiter), his money for the collection box burning in his hand - prohibit this perfection? Our authors seem agreed on the idea that a planet passes on its light and virtue to the first planet it aspects (but see Bonatti's comments below under 'Reception'). Thus Mercury gives its light and virtue to Venus and the boy spends his donation in Mrs. Jones' sweet shop. When Mercury next conjoins Jupiter and the collection box is being passed around after class, the boy has nothing to give. His light (and money) is being carried by Venus (Mrs. Jones), who conjoins with Jupiter, translates to him the light of Mercury and so the matter is perfected. In other words, Mrs. Jones, herself a good Christian woman, rejoices at the boy's study and takes his money up to the church at evensong.

It would seem from this example that the Moon in your horary, which represents both yourself as co-ruler AND the flow of events, passes on it's light to Mercury and then to Jupiter, after which Mercury squares Jupiter. So you (the Moon ) are reaching for a prize (Jupiter) and the means by which the prize can be grasped is Mercury, who takes your light and brings it to Jupiter. So Mercury connects you (the Moon) to Jupiter (the prize) and Mercury is the natural significator of photography! Not only that but Mercury is lord of the 11th, so he represents your hopes and wishes in this matter, as well as "boons from the King". The only problem is, Mercury is in his detriment, which suggests that the photograph cannot merit a major prize, but one of the lesser ones.

This is a fascinating chart really, as so many planets are closely connected (Moon, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter - even Uranus - what role does he play in this I wonder?)
Anyway all I can say is good luck T, and if you do win the big one I just want you to know I've always wanted to visit Yellowstone National Park! :)

Oh, and to try to answer your question about what house might signify a prize, my feeling is the 11th, since it represents a "boon from the King", in other words an award, reward or "prize".

Cheers,
-Pete-

Taurus7

I'm lazy, maybe others here are too. If you get a chart and post it in then maybe more people will look at it.

I would be looking at using Lord 1, Lord 7 and Lord 10 to represent you, your competitors and the 'prize' itself and see what their conditions are.

So you (the Moon ) are reaching for a prize (Jupiter) and the means by which the prize can be grasped is Mercury, who takes your light and brings it to Jupiter. So Mercury connects you (the Moon) to Jupiter (the prize) and Mercury is the natural significator of photography!
Pete, that's quite intriguing, thanks.
This is a fascinating chart really, as so many planets are closely connected (Moon, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter - even Uranus - what role does he play in this I wonder?)
Indeed, I think there's one more link to what you have said. Not only is the Moon connecting Mercury to Jupiter as you say, but it is also connecting Mars to the above scenario, which is myself. The Moon has just separated from Mars, then gives it's light to Mercury, which continues on to transfer the light to Jupiter - or so I hope!!

And yes, not sure what Uranus is doing in the middle.... :?

On a different note, the Sun (Judges) are trying to catch up with me in the third house - they are trying to communicate something to me??? but I sextile Jupiter first (the prize), so I find out that I won the prize because it will be posted online before I read their email about my winning!!! Wishful thinking, yes.... :D

With regards to a comparison of the first to the 7th (competition), I am definitely much stronger than poor, sad Venus (7th) with no dignity at all, and me beautifully exalted!! 8)

Pete, did I tell you that the grand and second prize is a paid holiday for 4? If you can somehow twist my horary a little bit to change the outcome from a minor prize to the grand prize, you DO have a chance at seeing Yellowstone! :wink:

I mean, so what if Mercury (my messenger) is debillitated - the ultimate prize (Jupiter) is wonderfully strong and dignified and right there in the 5th!! What do you think?

- T7

Sorry, I think Saturn about to go stationary has everyone busy. I know I am, I barely have time to eat or sleep these days!
The contest is currently in the judging phase, and I asked the question "Will I win a prize in photo contest?".
'

I think over time a horary astrologer starts to not like these questions, so that's probably in part the lack of response to your question. Does the horary truly help you with this knowledge, since you have already submitted your items and are waiting for the judges to reach a conclusion? I just generally tell people when they ask me "will I-" about something that they are waiting for already that it seems kind of pointless to read a chart about it, since they will find out very soon anyway and there's nothing to be done about the matter. It just seems more for entertainment or to prove one's self right, etc. That's why I always reference Deb's article on how to form questions. She mentions questions asked out of impatience, such as "will I get the job?" after you already had the interview and there is no other thing you can really do to fix your situation. The horary is only going to tell you what a phone call will tell you.

I feel sort of iffy about the chart, so I am not sure if I'll be much help. I know that combustion is a big no-no, but I tend to not always see it deny things. Maxz has a daughter who won a spot on a TV show to be awarded a new puppy, and her child was combusted, which I associated with a level of fame or feeling starstruck.

I would say that Mercury is probably not a great influence, since he is in detriment and rules the 8th in the 2nd house of increase of substances. He could be prohibitory vs. helpful by ruling a difficult house and stepping between Mars and Jupiter as well as Moon and Jupiter. Normally I wouldn't think a square aspect to Mercury in detriment for Moon's next aspect would be particulalry great, since the next aspect tends to be most key for what to expect. It's likely a lesser award, as you said. Mars is exalted and Moon is under the rulership of a good benefic, but everything is below the earth but Saturn (you don't really want Saturn to be rising in a night chart!). You are under his rulership and are separating from a difficult influence there, perhaps some sort of mistake or self-undoing in your admissions. Since Mercury is also key, I would wonder about your application maybe missing something important to the judges. Nothing here mitigates Saturn also. It would seem to suggest some disappointment. But I hope I am wrong and best of luck.

everything is below the earth but Saturn (you don't really want Saturn to be rising in a night chart!). You are under his rulership and are separating from a difficult influence there, perhaps some sort of mistake or self-undoing in your admissions.
Thank you for your response. It's interesting how you brought Saturn into the picture. This question was asked at a rather difficult time for me at the personal level; i.e. my father was in the hospital, and I'm wondering if this past aspect of Mars to Saturn is showing that - Saturn (older person) in the 12th (hospital).
And yes, I agree with you that questions for which the outcome will soon be known should not be asked. But we all have our little justifications... When he was in the hospital and things were really bad, I decided to take a look at the pictures that had been submitted in the contest (mine included) to take my mind off things, and the question came to me. I believe the chart is radical, especially in terms of all of the connections between the primary planets.
Since Mercury is also key, I would wonder about your application maybe missing something important to the judges
Valid point. The pictures will be judged based on 5 criteria; maybe one or more of the criterion may not be up to par. I believe my application had all the correct information, but the pictures may have something missing.

I'd be fairly ecstatic if I made it into the top 10, to be honest (I'd still get a prize, though a lesser one). There's thousands of entries... :D But I was just hoping that since both the Moon and Mars apply to Jupiter (via Mercury, albeit); the Moon and Mars both fairly strong and the competion weak (Venus) might count for something.

Hello, all :)

My two cents...since Mars is combust hence 'suspect' and also cadent, I'd first and foremost look into what the Moon has to say.

Moon is commiting its disposition to Mercury and this in itself would be very bad if Mercury were the final receiver of the Moon's disposition - but luckily, he isn't since his immediate application is to Jupiter which receives him into its domicile and triplicity. Jupiter itself is dignified and has natural signification of prizes, preferment, etc. also posited in a good house, the 5th which also naturally signifies sudden windfalls of luck ("bona fortuna"). So a greater benefic in a good house is the final receiver of the disposition and Masha'allah tells us that in such a situation, we have a good outcome to the matter inquired about.

Or so I hope :D

On another level, the Moon's received applying conjunction to Jupiter probably trumps any other aspect that might get in its way so we may conclude this also points to a positive outcome. Of course, only so positive as the debility of the primary significator allows it to be, but still I think one of these two major prizes will be yours, Taurus7.
After all, Jupiter describes them quite well, doesn't it?
Good luck!

Regards,
Goran

My two cents...
Goran, I love your two cents :'
So a greater benefic in a good house is the final receiver of the disposition and Masha'allah tells us that in such a situation, we have a good outcome to the matter inquired about.
Yes, yes, Masha'allah said it, how wrong could he be??? :brows (not much!!) I'm loving it
Or so I hope
So do I :lol:

but still I think one of these two major prizes will be yours, Taurus7.
Oh, that would be so cool!! I hope your words come true.. :wink:
After all, Jupiter describes them quite well, doesn't it?
Indeed, indeed! I also wanted to point out that the Moon which is taking me to Jupiter also rules the 9th; and the national park that I have in mind is in Wyoming, which is definitely a long distance journey from where I live in NJ!

But still, even though I'm hoping for the best, I would still be really gratified if I got one of the lesser prizes.

Thanks again Goran! :D

- Taurus7

I mean, so what if Mercury (my messenger) is debillitated - the ultimate prize (Jupiter) is wonderfully strong and dignified and right there in the 5th!! What do you think?
What do I think? I'm thinking that I've somehow slipped back into 2004, that's what I think.
:-T :lol:

-Pete-

Mars is exalted but combust the sun in a cadent house. I think you will get some recognition, but it won't be the top spot.

Moon square Mercury so I think there was some detail or paperwork or something that was not understood fully, but then Moon goes on to make a conjunction with Jupiter (who also disposits ill dignified Mercury) in a fortuitous house so I don't think it's all bad. I think you'll do well, just not necessarily win it.

I would have preferred if the luminaries were above the ascendant and your significator were not combust, however Sun here is Lord 10 which is being enquired about so perhaps we can view it as a conjunction with the Sun?

Maybe you'll come second or third?