Re: Skyplux and LMT entries..

Dione T wrote:
jventura wrote: About your request, what is Vx? Vesta?
Is Vertex. :)
(I know Vx is not an essentiality and I will understand if you do not implement it, I just have noticed it often forming close conjunctions (0-2 degrees) in critical times).
With all due respect Dione T, Jo?o Ventura has clearly stated in his first post to us that he had made available a traditional astrology application. No Vertex in traditional astrology I'm afraid :(

majid wrote:Re the Data:Meiji Constitution
February 11 1889 Tokyo, Japan Time 11:15 AM
139E45 35N41 LMT 9:19:04
Majid Buell
Hi Majid,

i've tracked it down, and the problem is about the timezone. The timezone in skyPlux (still) must be a number (in hours) like 4, -10.3, etc., and not a string like "9:19:04". So, the data is correct, but the timezone "9:19:04" must be converted to hours, and it is about 9.3 hours, so you must insert -9.3 in the timezone field (because Japan is ahead of UTC time)..

Yes, this kind of things is not very intuitive, but as i said in a previous post, i still haven't managed to simplify the data insertion, but it is becoming more and more of a priority.

Jo?o Ventura

jerd wrote:
Dione T wrote:
jventura wrote: About your request, what is Vx? Vesta?
Is Vertex. :)
(I know Vx is not an essentiality and I will understand if you do not implement it, I just have noticed it often forming close conjunctions (0-2 degrees) in critical times).
With all due respect Dione T, Jo?o Ventura has clearly stated in his first post to us that he had made available a traditional astrology application. No Vertex in traditional astrology I'm afraid :(
Hi,

jerd is right, Vertex is not part of the astrology tradition. However, i'm not a fundamentalist regarding this, and if some "things" outside the tradition indeed work better, there is always a chance to insert some kind of option to add it to the software.

However, i'm an (extreme) fundamentalist regarding justification. For instance, if Dione T could make a study, using a statistical-based approach, like showing that the use of Vertex in a study is consistent with an hypothesis, it would give us all a great work, and yes, i would add an option for that in the software with all merits to the study's author.. :)

Thanks,
Jo?o Ventura

jventura wrote: However, i'm an (extreme) fundamentalist regarding justification. For instance, if Dione T could make a study, using a statistical-based approach, like showing that the use of Vertex in a study is consistent with an hypothesis, it would give us all a great work, and yes, i would add an option for that in the software with all merits to the study's author.. :)

Thanks,
Jo?o Ventura
Not a problem! Like I said I would understand if you didn't add the option. :)
Be kind, but be brave.

http://wroskopos.wordpress.com/

majid wrote:Re: Japan entry.
Got the idea no minutes and seconds in the TZ!
Majid Buell
Hi again Majid,

yes, no minutes and seconds, but do the conversion to hours.
Eg: 10 hours and 30 minutes is 10,5 hours and not only 10.. I'm just being explicit, may someone truncate the value instead of doing the right thing, that is the conversion to hours..

Jo?o Ventura

Hi everyone,

a subtle bug on the calculation of the day of week from a given date has been corrected, so everyone who had problems while computing the almutem (which is where the day of week is being used more often for the planetary day/night calculation) can now use it, free of errors..

I would also make here a question about skyPlux and web-based software in general, for those who care to answer: skyPlux is being used by many people, but i would expect more people to use it by now, almost 7 months after i've open this topic. The usage rate is almost constant, and so i would like to understand if there is something in skyPlux that the users don't like:
- Is it because is web-based and people prefer offline things? Or people are afraid of inserting their data?
- Or is the graphical interface which is "strange"?
- Or is the fact that has only traditional astrology and lacks features?
- Or is it because it's the "new kid in town" and so it is not "known"?

Just to see where I should improve the software, for the benefit of all..

Thanks,
Jo?o Ventura

Skyplux

I use it but I am also a Jyotish practitioner so I have my periods of usage of other software. Maybe you are still new and need some write up in Mountain Astrologer or something.... :)
Join the stream of Universal Life!

Jo?o, skyPlux is great and I use it quite a bit. You asked about features, and if there were one thing I might wish for in skyPlux, it would be an automated coordinate/time zone function. I feel like an ingrate for saying that, since skyPlux fills very specific needs for traditional astrologers at no cost to us! And it might be just too big a job to add on such a database; maybe there would be licensing issues associated with that, as well.

There are plenty of web-based programs that offer modern options, so the fact that skyPlux is intended for traditional astrologers is a big plus for me. I think Majid is right in saying that a writeup of the program in a publication like The Mountain Astrologer might be a help.

There just aren't that many traditional astrologers out there, comparatively speaking - I think that's why you don't see a steadily growing number of users. You've really done something wonderful in creating skyPlux and making it available to all of us, it's a creation you can be very proud of.

Hi Majid and Astraea,

thanks for your answers. Yes, maybe a bit of "publicity" and more features are what is still missing for skyPlux to "grow".

Astraea's suggestion about timezones is on the to-do list, but my big doubt is about the technology, ie, I don't know if users like this web-based kind of applications or if they would prefer an offline application?! The frameworks for web-based and desktop applications are different, and as I am just one person writing the software (with a lot of other work on my hands), I can only follow one route (web-based vs desktop-based)

The biggest reasons for being web-based is faster updates to the software, and no installation for the users (and they can run the software even on mobile phones), but I don't know how important this is to users.. What are your thought on this?

Many thanks,
Jo?o Ventura

I was reluctant to use a web based software at first but now having used it and also being a dual OS user (Linux & Windows) with friends with a MAC system I can see its value. I can also access it in my local library if my machine is down. So maybe this would be an advantage for you to sell to the public. You can sell the Lilly aspect of it as well. Not many people have read the 3rd volume of Lilly and even fewer use all of his Directions. You have them in a nutshell. I like the fact that you have Temperament and the Mental aspects in the software as well. Even if I go back and forth between OS and between Jyotish and Traditional Western I like having your software available and the price is right. By the way maybe get somebody to ad sponsor your site as well if you can.
Majid Buell
Join the stream of Universal Life!