Should I accept this job?

3rd October 2011, 3:12 pm BST, Worcester, UK. Regiomontanus, 8 degrees Capricorn rising.

Background: I've been offered a part-time teaching post at a local college, but it's only one hour a week and I must take a ten week training course in my own time to obtain a teaching qualification. This seems a lot of commitment for one hour's teaching a week! Should I take the job?

My significators are Saturn and the Moon. The job is Mars, Lord 10. There is no aspect between Saturn or the Moon to Mars. Odd as I've been offered the job.

Saturn in Libra is in the detriment of Mars; I won't enjoy the job. If I take the Moon, (representing my emotions) and drop it into the tenth it would be in fall, being in Scorpio, reinforcing that I would be unhappy in the job.

Mars, the job itself, has dignity only by term and face, although it does have some accidental dignity by being angular, suggesting it's not that good a job anyway.

Jupiter, the job's pay, has dignity by term only, and is cadent and retrograde suggesting the pay is poor.

All in all the chart seems to be telling me the job's not worth it, and if I took it I''d be unhappy anyway, so the verdict seems to be to turn it down.

Anyone like to comment or spot anything I might have missed?
H.

Both Mars and Jupiter are peregrine, they don't have any essential dignities.

But you're right, it's probably not worth it. The Moon cadent and in her Detriment applies to Jupiter cadent peregrine retrograde which probably means your expectations will not be met.

Mercury translates the light from Mars to Saturn (Saturn being in the house that represents the college) but Mercury is combust. The Sun also "wants" to transfer the light between the main significators but he is in his Fall and Mars' Detriment. Plus, the Sun is conjunct the unfortunate fixed star Vindemiatrix. Vindemiatrix is about breaking up when it comes to relationships, also doing something stupid while being fully aware that it's stupid (according to The Horary Textbook).

So, not worth it.

Hello Harlequin

At first I was tempted to just straight-forwardly agree, but something niggles.......

Your significator is strongly dignified essentially, as well as being fortified by its dispositor (Venus), despite Saturn heading into combustion (surely significant... whilst an accidental debility, Saturn will go through cazimi and emerge renewed later in the phase relationship... I can't help wondering if this somehow speaks to where you are at the moment with the whole issue of teaching). Your significator is also the hour-ruler, and is placed right on the cusp of the 9th house. All this seems significant and meaningful, doesn't it, though not necessarily in an 'I should take the job' kind of way.

I'm intrigued by Mars, ruling the 10th, being placed over there in the 7th, as well as it being not in the sign ruling the 7th. I'm also intrigued by the Moon approaching Pluto, and both of them sitting there right behind the cusp of the 1st house. I think these are meaningful too.

But when all's said and done I keep going back to my first point..... which is wondering why you're represented there on the 9th with that essential and accidental dignity.

Teaching for 1 hour a week wouldn't be attractive to anyone from a money point of view, there's no doubt about that and no need for a horary to figure that part of it out. Most people who choose to do 1 hour a week would do it for the experience or to drum up trade, and other reasons like that.

Or because they have a calling to teach.

So I'm wondering if you're represented here as someone with a calling to teach or a sense of your own ability or desire to teach, or something else I can't quite put my finger on.

Sorry for the rambling nature of these thoughts..... I tried to pin them down but it was like herding cats :)

Regards

H.

Hi Seiko and Handn, and thanks for your illuminating replies.

Perhaps some background would throw some light on your niggles about the chart Handn.

I'm a teacher already, but a self-employed one with private students, although I do also teach one day a week at a local school in a private capacity. I'm not a state - qualified teacher which is why I would have to undertake the ten week course to obtain a state-recognised qualification to be able to teach in the college.

Perhaps Mars in the seventh is showing the job going to one of my rivals for the job.

The Moon and Pluto so close to the Ascendant also made me sit up and take notice, but I couldn't see a relevance to the question.

Thank you both for your helpful insights!
H.

My significators are Saturn and the Moon. The job is Mars, Lord 10. There is no aspect between Saturn or the Moon to Mars. Odd as I've been offered the job.
The no aspect could be indicating that there will be no contact between you and the job; regardless of whether you have been offered it or not. Therefore, I don't think you will take it.

Hello Harlequin

Thanks for the extra background, and for posting about your final decision being notified to the college. The background does explain really well your strong signification and placement at the 9th!

I appreciate your telling us about the chart and the way it's worked out, it's very helpful to be able to put them both together and reflect on it from that angle.

Regards

H.
Last edited by handn on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Should I accept this job?

Harlequin wrote:...My significators are Saturn and the Moon. The job is Mars, Lord 10. There is no aspect between Saturn or the Moon to Mars. Odd as I've been offered the job...H.
Isn't Mars in an applying sextile to Saturn? I know Mercury and Sun get to Saturn first, and Mars and Saturn are in each other's detriment, but doesn't the sextile itself still count, or am I missing something? Thanks.

Re: Should I accept this job?

Carol wrote:
Harlequin wrote:...My significators are Saturn and the Moon. The job is Mars, Lord 10. There is no aspect between Saturn or the Moon to Mars. Odd as I've been offered the job...H.
Isn't Mars in an applying sextile to Saturn? I know Mercury and Sun get to Saturn first, and Mars and Saturn are in each other's detriment, but doesn't the sextile itself still count, or am I missing something? Thanks.
The orb is too wide. There is a translation of light between Mars and Saturn, though, as mentioned above, yet the Translator is afflicted and as you noted Mars and Saturn are in each others Detriment.

An orb is an orb. (Brilliant conclusion, I know.) Maybe we could disregard the orbs a bit when it comes to the Moon, because she is the fastest planet etc etc, but as for the other planets, I personally try to observe the orbs.