mental disease in natal chart

Hello,

My dad is currently in the hospital, he suffers from amnesia, sudden moments in which he doesn't remember anything.

I've been looking in his chart. Mercury is located in Gemini in the 5th house and receives no bad aspects from malefic planets.
So I don't think the natal chart shows dementia.

But are there other factors or significators for a disease like that ?

Or what should I look for in the natal chart that could show mental disease ?

I'd appreciate the help and will give feedback, because I'm worried sick about my dad and he's really scared to death that dementia is what awaits him. So I'm looking for answers in his chart. I'm an astrology student but still beginners level.

Hello Madeleine,

possibly the female domicile of Mercury, Virgo, is afflicted, or there are aspects of essential benefics, accidental malefics in thruth, or their antiscions or countrantiscions? And what about conjunctions, for example combutstion?

Perhaps you can give us the data not to be lost in a sort of mystery?

Johannes.

PS: Are you or the medicines sure arleady, there is no pysical problem in the brain/head; a swelling or tumor for example hindering its normal function from time to time?

A distinct trait I noticed, in charts of people that are mentally unhealth, is a big unbalance in their humoral qualities.

Either their charts are too dry, too wet, too hot or too cold.

I have a cousin that fits that, being completely insane, and she does not have a single wet planet in her chart (not in an air and not in a water sign). Some people in my family also presents this kind of problem (some degree of insanity) but to a less extent (it is common to have only one planet in a water sign in my family, invariable Saturn, and another one in an air sign. The rest goes in fire signs and earth signs).

As I understand, the most prevalent result of a natal chart is some kind of balance. When it gets too unbalanced, diseases start to show, either in the body or in the mind.
Paulo Felipe Noronha

mercury and the moon have the closest connection to the mind as i see it.. i believe some type of imbalance between these 2 can create mental dis-ease.. the idea of lunacy and the moon have a long history..

Hi again,

I don't know how to post a chart, but I can give the birth details

may 6th 1936 at 01:00 hrs
city of birth : Waregem, Belgium

his ascendant is at 15?01' Capricorn

as you will see when you look at the chart, he has Saturn transiting his scorpio Moon.
but what strikes me the most is Jupiter transiting his Gemini Mercury. I looked a bit further in time, and Jupiter will station exactly on 6?20' Gemini, which is precisely conjunct his Mercury on 6?20' Gemini.
Jupiter is lord of his 12th house and I think represents the hospital and medical care.
In his birth chart, Jupiter is well dignified in own sign Sagittarius but retrograde. I don't know if I should consider him in the 12th house or the 11th, since he's close to the 12th house cusp, but retroing into the 11th house.

My dad also has an exact trine from the Sun to the ascendant, which gives him a strong health. He is a very strong man, always has been.

I remembered also that about 12yrs ago he had a severe heart attack. He should have been dead, the doctors said, but he survived. He sees his cardiologist several times a year for tests, but his heart is fully recovered.

I'm learning about profections, but somehow he's in a profection period or year again during which his health is causing problems. this time it's his memory loss.

I wanted to give some more info, so you might be able to help me find answers in his chart.

One more thing. My dad is very bad sleeper. Never sleeps a full night, always a couple of hours and then he's wide awake again. I read an article on the internet that sleeping disorders can cause memory loss. Because the brain stores memories during sleep. If you don't sleep enough, then memories don't get stored in the brain and you get something like 'swiss cheese'...holes in your memory. So certain things you remember, others you don't remember. And that's exactly what is happening with my dad right now.
He's fully aware of the fact that he has those memory losses. It's not as if he's in a kind of unconscious state like people with dementia have.

That's why I think it's not in his natal chart that he'll have dementia. His Mercury in Gemini is strong and receives no hard aspects from malefic planets natally. Only now with transits and progressions he gets hard aspects.
So I hope it's something temporary that can be cured.

He's in hospital and gets a full medical examination. They tested his bloodflow to the brain, he underwent several scans. His blood has been tested and is ok. So they didn't find anything yet that causes the problem. Today they will have him take memory tests and his heart is being monitored during 24hrs.

Thank you very much for any insight you might give. Hope somebody is able to put the chart up.

best regards,
Madeleine

Hello Madeleine,

thank you very much for the data! :' :D

(With Regiomonus houses) Mercury is loosing his "innocence" by beeing lord of the 6th and the 8th, Moon in her fall - already at the very first glance. And there is a lot more. But I am in a hurry now . . .

All the best for you and your father!!!

Johannes

hi madeleine,

i hope things work out for you and your dad. astrology is interesting in offering a different angle on life.. i don't know if it changes anything, or only in so far as someone has an explanation for what is happening at present that brings a degree of comfort..

saturn is the planet connected to old age and sickness as i understand it.. the transit of saturn is hitting on both lights in your dad's chart at present which is fairly significant from a health pov.. to bring it back to the question of mental health, mercury/moon are part of a yod pattern which includes the nodal axis. the 150 aspect has an association with heath and wellness, but some folks don't bother to consider it.. can't remember where trad astrology is at with this aspect, or non aspect.. at any rate, both saturn, jupiter and pluto if you want to include that are mimicking the same yod pattern on top of your dad's.. i would point the finger at transiting saturn myself, given it's deep association with highlighting weakness in a chart, health and etc.. if you want to venture into a more new age angle with astrology you might want to consider chirons role in your fathers chart and it's present position by transit to all of this.. all the best to you..

Thank you for your help posting the chart, Wolfgang.

Progressive Mercury is currently conjunct Pluto in Cancer. And transit Pluto is in the 12th house, will cross his ascendant.
I know Pluto is not used in traditional astrology, so I think the Saturn transit on the Moon also has a similar effect.

By now my dad had undergone all the physical tests and he also had a memory test. He had to spell words backwards, make calculations, repeat a list of words in certain order, etc....and he scored above average. So his mental capacities are perfectly ok, and they didn't find anything wrong in his body or brain either.

There must be something creating those amnesia moments. What strikes me also is that he cannot control his emotions. My dad is from a generation in which it was considered weak for a man to cry. My dad always was tough and strong on the outside. He wasn't the cuddling type, or one to express his feelings in words.

And now it's as if his emotions and feelings are all erupting. For the first time in my life I saw him cry. And not just tears flowing, but really heartbreaking crying. He told me how much he loves my mom but can't tell her himself. He even forbid me to tell her what he said, but I told her anyway. He literally said : I love her so much it hurts

I think that has to do with the intensity of progressed Mercury hitting Pluto in Cancer, and Saturn conjunct Moon now.

He's going home today, but like a said, the cause hasn't been found. Now what's upcoming, is Saturn will cross the MC in transit, progressed Moon entering the 8th house, and Pluto will cross the ascendant.

I don't know how to interpret these transits and progressions, but they're heavy ones, that I'm aware of.

An update

My father had another scan recently but no damage to his brain was found, so they also ruled out dementia.

Seems like the cause is his diabetes medication being too strong. My dad is taking far less medication now and he's fine and healthy again.

Just thought I'd update and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for your help in reading the chart.

I agree with James that you should also be paying attention to the Moon. As far back as Ptolemy, one's mental condition was judged by both Mercury and the Moon, and sometimes the Ascendant as well. Abu Ali was of the same opinion, and us Vedic folk agree.

Mental health is a combo of Moon, Mercury, and Asc.