Translation of light, Moon out of moiety

Hi folks, it's been a long time!

Have a quick technical question I can't seem to find a good answer to regarding the relationship between translation of light, moiety and a void Moon in applying aspect!

Question regarding a reconciliation between two lovers who have separated. Querent wants to know if lover will come back.

ASC 16.47 Sag
Querent Jupiter at 13.46 Gemini on 7th angle
Moon 10.46 Taurus on cusp between 4th and 5th, just separated from Saturn Rx at 9.26 Scorpio in 11th.
Quesited Mercury VOC at 26.55 Pisces in 3rd

Lovers split up at end of January but are still in contact and are amicable (evidenced by MR and some reception by term/face). Quesited is currently seeing someone else.

Mercury and Jupiter have separated from square with MR.
Moon applies to sextile Mercury but is currently out of moiety; will be within moiety in 7 degrees or so. The aspect will perfect before Mercury changes signs, and when Mercury does change signs, it will still be in Jupiter's terms, so Jupiter is likely to still be amenable.

Moon will then translate light to Jupiter (eventually, after another void period) but will need to change signs to do so; it will, however, be nearly immediately within moiety of a conjunction to Jupiter.

Is this an actual translation, then, or does the delay of translation (which will be unimpeded by any other planet) negate the question? Does the applying sextile between the Moon and Mercury hold validity for a positive answer despite currently being out of moiety?

My first thoughts were that yes, there's a chance they will have further involvement, but after a delay of some time (7 degrees = 7 weeks or months?); I would welcome your thoughts on this before I give an answer!

Thanks!
Gunhilde :)

Re: Translation of light, Moon out of moiety

Gunhilde wrote:
Moon will then translate light to Jupiter (eventually, after another void period) but will need to change signs to do so; it will, however, be nearly immediately within moiety of a conjunction to Jupiter.
The way this seems to have been understood was that if the Moon was within aspect of Jupiter when it changed sign, then that aspect could be considered. In this case, with Jupiter at almost 14 degrees of Gemini, that is not the case. The Moon goes void of course on leaving Taurus and its subsequent application to Jupiter is not part of the current story.

Lee Lehman places a further restriction, which is that the Moon should increase in dignity (or decrease in detriment) on the change of sign to give it the incentive to jump the barrier, so to speak. This seems like a reasonable idea. However, in this case, the Moon loses dignity on changing from Taurus where it is exalted, to Gemini where it is peregrine.

Is this an actual translation, then, or does the delay of translation (which will be unimpeded by any other planet) negate the question? Does the applying sextile between the Moon and Mercury hold validity for a positive answer despite currently being out of moiety?
The definitions of translation of light given by Lilly and other 17th century texts are quite clear. The faster planet must separating from one slow planet and apply without impedition to another slow planet to which the light of the first slow planet is being translated.

The idea of 'carrying the light', where a fast planet applies to one slow planet, perfects the aspect then goes on to apply to another slow planet so 'carrying the light' from the first slow planet to the next, is not something that seems to be discussed in those sections where 17th century authors explain the 'terms of the art which every student should know'. However, when it comes to example charts showing how the astrology is done in practice, 'carrying the light' does seem to have been used.

Geoffrey

Hiya,

Yes, perhaps I meant carrying or transferring rather than translation...I wrote the post half-asleep! :D Mercury and Jupiter have separated but the Moon acts as an envoy between them, albeit with delays and changes.

Data:

12 April 2013
00:52 hrs
Bourn (Cambridgeshire)
52.18N .0602W

I see what you mean about the Moon and Jupiter...but what about the sextile to Mercury? The Moon carries dignity still in Taurus, even though there is a "waiting period" before the sextile happens. I guess I was thinking that yes, the Moon loses dignity in Gemini but it is *just* out of moiety with Jupiter when it does (like, by one degree or so), so was wondering whether that was relevant in a carrying/translating sense. In Gemini the Moon favours Mercury (or vice-versa)....?

Gunhilde :)

Also, I guess we'd have to look at the influence of Saturn; the Moon has just separated from an opposition to Saturn, and as far as my bleary eyes can see, the influence of that opposition will be carried to the sextile with Mercury.

Edit: looking further online about the long VOC, there does seem to be some suggestion that the act of reconciliation can be brought to bear, insofar at least as the approaching sextile from the Moon to Mercury is concerned; Lilly and others mention that the Moon can be VOC for a time and then make the aspect (which would be the case there), particularly since the Moon is angular and in Taurus... (although thinking about timing this would seem to suggest a LONG wait for the querent!) just not sure about the collection or transference of light from Mercury to Jupiter, since as we've noted, the time it takes is so long and in another sign...does this matter?

GH :)

Thank you for posting this.
I have a chart, same question, with Cap rising, moon in aquarius applying to saturn in libra but technically void, ie out of moeity of aspect.
Yet nothing prohibits.
It was cast in Aug last year and I said they would reconcile but with delays after 11 units of time. Obviously not weeks now, so months. Have until July, another 3 months to see if this is correct.

This client called me recently so I was able to revisit the chart. That void moon has bugged me. I misjudged an important question for her before involving an opposition, an aspect I hate!

I really hope I've got it right for her this time.

In your chart, the moon perfects the aspect to mercury at 29 degrees pisces... last chance saloon? or a permanent ending?
This is the last degree of the zodiac and conj scheat.

Mercury will move into rulership of mars.. ruling turned 5th... is someone else involved? Or an issue around quesited's children/fertility/5th house?
Stays in triplicity and term of jupiter.. feelings are still there but someone, or something else takes over?

I had same chart for a question from for a lady in love with a priest. How's that for mercury in pisces ruling 7th & 9th?? : ) I love astrology!!
Perhaps he will leave the priesthood and go into the military? There have obviously been very strong mutual feelings for both these querents and quesiteds.

I'm not sure my querent will update, so please let us know how this turns Gunhilde.
Thank you.

Hi PallasAthene,

Thanks for your input! I have stuck my neck out for a 'yes' answer, albeit a weak one; Mercury doesn't have much to offer! But whatever...the Moon is in dignity and can offer some impetus. At least there will likely be further conversation between them (Mercury in 3rd).

Interesting observation about the late degree perfection. Hadn't seen that! Not sure about the Mars connotation; it was apparently a very ...erm...physical relationship...friends with benefits?

We shall see. I will keep you posted. The moon comes within orb in 7 degrees; I will reckon a time frame of about 7 weeks for another contact. (end of May/beginning of June time)...7 months is a long time and I'm not sure the querent would wait that long, but maybe they will. 7 years would be out of the question, I'm sure, without even asking the querent! :lol:

GH :)
Last edited by Gunhilde on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunhilde wrote:it was apparently a very ...erm...physical relationship...friends with benefits?
That surprises me. Mer/jup hav been in mutual reception by rulership for ages. This suggests to me a much deeper bond than purely physical. True compatibility.
I wonder if one party (quesited?) got scared of these feelings?
Moon is strong so the emotional temperature is high.. in a good way. True feeling.

Given the sextile I 'd be hopeful that this can work out in a good way. The end could be the end of pretence and single life? I hope so : )

Given the sextile I 'd be hopeful that this can work out in a good way. The end could be the end of pretence and single life? I hope so : )
Me too. It would be nice to see a happy ending in a horary chart...one sees so many that don't end happily!

:) GH