Therese wrote:
But if you find the reference you mentioned, I'd be happy to check my copies of Yogananda's autobiography.
This might take a while because I have moved not long ago and most of my books are still packed up in so many boxes - and not exactly in alphabetical order. :lol: I will remember it, though.

Therese wrote:
For example, various multiple colors and deities are connected to the chakras rather than the rainbow order of colors we see so often in diagrams today.
When I was psychically diagnosing my clients' auric systems, I would see the in all different colours in front of my mind's eye but rarely in accordance with the modern diagram (which quite bothered me for a while).

However, once again, there are various schemes in existence, and the colour that can be psychically seen at a given time also seems to reflect a person's current state.

Avalon's The Serpent Power is definitely one of the most comprehensive books on the chakras. A must read for anybody wishing to study this subject more thoroughly.

Therese wrote:
I suspect that planetary assignments to the chakras is a fairly recent innovation as there is apparently no mention of them in Sanskrit texts.
The oldest scheme connecting the planets with something close to the system of the chakras that I'm aware of is from early 18th century and to be found in Johann Georg Gichtel's Theosophia Practica. It can be seen here:

http://anthrowiki.at/Johann_Georg_Gichtel

While The Serpent Power is not making any such connection, it does contain information that is interesting from an astrological perspective. I really hope I can locate my copy of the book in the near future... :???:

Avalon's work is long out of copyright, and all the current editions are public domain reprints. You can get a free download of Serpent Power at http://brihaspati.net/downloads/The_Ser ... Avalon.pdf

His real name was Sir John Woodroffe, and he was a judge for the Raj in Bengal. His knowledge of Sanskrit was way ahead of most British students of his era, and it is widely believed that he had secretly turned away from his Christian upbringing and become a Tantric initiate. All the same, be cautious about his references to the Mahanirvana Tantra. Some recent scholars have questioned whether this text is authentic or whether Woodroffe was more or less hoodwinked into believing that it was. In any case, the Sanskrit text upon which The Serpent Power is based is definitely authentic and can be trusted. I know some jyotishis in India who assign planetary mantras to their clients based on the bija mantras for each chakra as given by Avalon in The Serpent Power.

Thanks for the link, Ken.
I know some jyotishis in India who assign planetary mantras to their clients based on the bija mantras for each chakra as given by Avalon in The Serpent Power.
Do you know what planet-chakra correspondences they use?

Regards
Michael

Michael, they were using the system I cited earlier. This is one of the reasons I have always thought that its origin was Tantric. I am also going to search the Yogananda lessons for the Ayurveda based system mentioned by Therese.

Ken wrote: Apr 18, 2014 5:56 pm
I know some jyotishis in India who assign planetary mantras to their clients based on the bija mantras for each chakra as given by Avalon in The Serpent Power.
Do you mean that they determined the condition of a client's chakras by looking at the correlated planets in his chart?

If I'm getting this right, do you know more about this practice? I have never heard of this before, but it certainly sounds interesting.

Kenneth Johnson wrote:...I am also going to search the Yogananda lessons for the Ayurveda based system mentioned by Therese.
The organs of sense and action that I gave in an earlier post are diagrammed with the chakras on pages 17 and 20 in SRF's God Talks With Arjuna: The Bhagavad Gita, Vol. 1.

These agree with the ayurvedic correlations, but some are different than the correlations given in The Serpent Fire (page 125). I'm certainly no expert on the science of ayurveda, but the same correlations (Yogananda's) are diagrammed on page 24 of Dr. Vasant Lad's Ayurveda, The Science of Self-Healing. (The element--sense--action correlation, but not the chakras.) These correlations are also in The Holy Science minus the chakra references.

No planets are mentioned in any of these sources. But I see that I've added them to my notebook diagrams. I'm beginning to think the planets might have been my own idea based on the planet-element correlations in Jyotish.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm