Chris Brennan wrote:
Mars is known to have an "anomalous" phase in relation to the Sun, and this is mentioned briefly in Paulus, but I'm not sure if this gets extended to the idea of travel in particular.

Its probably worth putting in the full quote I used before from Ptolemy as Mars is referenced as a planet associated with travel by him:
The topic of foreign travel receives treatment by observing the position of the luminaries to the angles, both of them, but particularly the moon. For when the moon is setting or declining from the angles, she portends journeys abroad or changes of place. Mars too sometimes has a similar force, either when he is setting or when he himself also has declined from mid?heaven, when he is in opposition or quartile to the luminaries. If the Lot of Fortune also falls among the signs that cause travel, the subjects spend their whole lives abroad and will have all their personal relations and business there. If beneficent planets regard the aforesaid places or succeed them, their activities abroad will be honourable and profitable and their return quick and unimpeded; but if the maleficent planets regard them, their journeys will be laborious, injurious, and dangerous, and the return difficult, although in every case the mixture of influences is taken into consideration, determined by the dominance of the planets that bear an aspect to these same places, as we explained at first. Tetrabiblos, Book IV, 8, Translated by F.E. Robbins (1940)
I find it intriguing Ptolemy discusses that ''If the Lot of Fortune also falls among the signs that cause travel''. I assumed travel was associated with the houses or planets not the signs? Could this reference to entire signs associated with travel be a hint Ptolemy is thinking of whole sign houses? In particular signs which made up travel houses such as the declines /cadents or 7th house? Or is this just an issue with the way Robbins has chosen to translate this section?

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Mark wrote: I find it intriguing Ptolemy discusses that ''If the Lot of Fortune also falls among the signs that cause travel''. I assumed travel was associated with the houses or planets not the signs? Could this reference to entire signs associated with travel be a hint Ptolemy is thinking of whole sign houses? In particular signs which made up travel houses such as the declines /cadents or 7th house? Or is this just an issue with the way Robbins has chosen to translate this section?

I cited that passage in my article on Ptolemy's method of house division as a piece of evidence in favor of the idea that he was using whole sign houses, and I quoted both Robbins and Schmidt's translations, which basically say the same thing:

http://www.hellenisticastrology.com/201 ... gn-houses/

Chris Brennan wrote:
I cited that passage in my article on Ptolemy's method of house division as a piece of evidence in favor of the idea that he was using whole sign houses.
Ahhh. Sorry! I had totally forgotten that was one of the sections you used in your piece!

Its interesting that exactly the same conclusion occurred to me reading the piece. I will take another look at your article.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly