aspects in the solar return

When I first started out with modern astrology, one thing that was continuously taught about solar returns was that: applying aspects = future events, separating aspects = past events. For some reason, while I have tossed out most of the other stuff I learned about solar returns from modern astrology, I have still held onto this concept regarding aspects in the solar return. I mean IMO, its quite logical and makes sense; however at the same time, the longer you think about it, the more you begin to wonder. Additionally I noticed that morin doesn't really seek to apply this concept either, in spite of the fact that all the planets in the charts he did are meticulously labeled with degrees showing that he easily could have chosen to apply this concept if he so chose. In any case I guess my question is pretty straightfoward; is the concept of applying/separating aspects representing future/past events pretty much nothing more than a modern invention? And secondly, how do you all use aspects in your readings of solar return charts? Are separating aspects in the solar return chart still useful beyond describing past situations?

Re: aspects in the solar return

No, the distinction is not a modern one; it's there in medieval texts, at least, though I can't say precisely how far back it can be traced. Perhaps someone else has the time to supply exact references -- off-hand, I just know that the Indian authors on Tajika got the idea from Perso-Arabic sources. Sahl seems a likely suspect.

My personal observation has been that ibn Ezra (and very possibly others before him) was right in stating that even separating aspects are still effective until the next aspect begins to form.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/