Can someone translate this German passage about Stoicism?

"Aus einem Urfeuer, dem Aither, entsteht in stoischer Sicht alles Seiende. Aller Stoff (Hyle) ist durch g?ttliche Vernunft (Logos) beseelt. So ist die stoische Lehre gleicherma?en materialistisch wie pantheistisch: Das g?ttliche Prinzip durchwirkt den Kosmos in allen seinen Bestandteilen und ist (nur) in ihnen anzutreffen.

Die Stoiker sind von der strengen Kausalit?t allen Geschehens ?berzeugt. Was immer in der Welt und unter Menschen vorkommt, beruht demnach auf einer l?ckenlosen Kausalkette. Wo diese nicht nachweisbar ist, versagt unser Erkenntnisverm?gen. Auch der Einzelne ist durch das Schicksal (Heimarmene) bestimmt. Falls er sich gegen die Vorsehung (Pronoia) stellt, ist auch dies selbst durch das Schicksal bestimmt."

I tried Google Translate, but it isn't clear enough.

Thanks.
Interested in Hellenistic astrology? Visit my blog.

The appearance changes, but the essence remains.

Hi Larxene,

According to Stoic thought whatever exists has its origin in primeval fire. All matter (Hyle) is has been endowed with divine reason (Logos).Thius Stoic teaching is both materialistic and pantheistic: The divine principle interweaves the cosmos in all its parts (altern: components) and can be met only within these. ("durchwirken" is difficult to translate - there's no satisfying translation: "interweaves" comes closer to it than "influences")
Stoic thinkers firmly believe in strict causality of whatever happens. Anything that exists within the world and among men is consequently based on a complete causal chain. Our cognitive capacity will fail the moment that chain cannot be proved. Accordingly each individual being is determined by fate (Heimarmene). In case he/she ( :-) ) resists Providence, that act itself will be determined by fate.

LL
Non coerceri maximo, contineri minimo divinum est.

Hello Lunlumo,

Thanks for the translation.
Lunlumo wrote:Accordingly each individual being is determined by fate (Heimarmene). In case he/she ( :-) ) resists Providence, that act itself will be determined by fate.
In the second line, does it mean that "the person who rejects pronoia is in fact guided by heimarmene to reject it"? Or does it mean that "IF a person rejects pronoia, then he will be dragged rather than guided by heimarmene?"

I'm thinking it means the first, just want to confirm.

Larxene Xenohart
Interested in Hellenistic astrology? Visit my blog.

The appearance changes, but the essence remains.

Indeed.
I forgot to translate "Aither" - actually "?ther" - "ether". Didin't know that ether was essentially thought to have the quality of fire.

Really interesting blog, Larxene.
LL
Non coerceri maximo, contineri minimo divinum est.

Lunlumo wrote:Hi Larxene,

According to Stoic thought whatever exists has its origin in primeval fire. All matter (Hyle) is has been endowed with divine reason (Logos).Thius Stoic teaching is both materialistic and pantheistic: The divine principle interweaves the cosmos in all its parts (altern: components) and can be met only within these. ("durchwirken" is difficult to translate - there's no satisfying translation: "interweaves" comes closer to it than "influences")
Stoic thinkers firmly believe in strict causality of whatever happens. Anything that exists within the world and among men is consequently based on a complete causal chain. Our cognitive capacity will fail the moment that chain cannot be proved. Accordingly each individual being is determined by fate (Heimarmene). In case he/she ( :-) ) resists Providence, that act itself will be determined by fate.

LL
durchwirken= bind together as in book binding ??
durchwirken |d?rchwirken|
schwaches Verb
Perfektbildung mit ?hat?
durchkneten a
den Teig kr?ftig durchwirken

pankajdubey wrote:
Lunlumo wrote:Hi Larxene,

LL
durchwirken= bind together as in book binding ??
durchwirken |d?rchwirken|
schwaches Verb
Perfektbildung mit ?hat?
durchkneten a
den Teig kr?ftig durchwirken
I think it is more like
interwoven, interlacing

If I translated 'durchwirken' to the language of the Netherlands, then you get 'werken door'. And when I translate this now to English, then it is
'working through'