New Rulerships for Zodiac Signs When you Consider Sect (day

Hey guys,

I wrote an article recently in which I incorporate the triplicity rulers (according to Dorotheus of Sidon) to the modern astrological rulership scheme.

I found out that if you merely add the triplicity rulers you get new sign rulers for some signs at the appropriate time of the day (either day or night).

Here are the main conclusions (but not all of them):
Sun is the ruler of Aries for day births.
Saturn is the ruler of Libra for day births.
Venus is the ruler of Pisces for day births.
Moon is the ruler of Taurus for night births.
Mars co-rules Capricorn together with Saturn.

Of course this doesn't take into account term, face and accidental dignity but the beauty of my conclusions is that they are applicable immediately.
You only have to know if the person was born during the day or during the night.

Also, here's a chart I made which includes the sign rulers, exaltation rulers and triplicity rulers of all the signs.
Scoring is based on Lilly's point scoring system.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPo_z ... sp=sharing

Check my logic and reasoning at this link:
http://gurastro.blogspot.co.il/2014/12/ ... n-you.html

Would love to hear your thoughts
~ Dima

hi dima

thanks for sharing your work. i like the fact you are trying to incorporate the distinction of day verses night into a point system. i am a bit confused however at how you arrive at the results on your hand written chart in the link you provide on the bottom of your post. this may have to do with the fact i don't work with lilly's point system to gauging the strength of planets, but just out of curiousity how does a venus in taurus get a higher strength rating in the day, then it does in a night chart? thanks.

James M:
If you're using Dorotheus of Sidon triplicity scores than venus is the day ruler of the earth triplicity. Liliy's score for a triplicity ruler is +3 so you add the +5 for sign ruler and +3 for triplicity ruler to a sum of +8.
Unlike venus by night which only get the sign ruler score of +5 (again according to Lilly).
So +8 by day vs. +5 by night.
I hope it makes things more clear.
It is worth mentioning that some astrologer give a +3 triplicity score for all rulers of a certain triplicity whether by day or by night (I'm pretty sure Zoller does that). I don't see it as a worthwhile practice since it dismiss the distinction between day and night charts.
Thanks for support btw.

Curtis:
I know this is off topic but I'm an internet fan of your stoic, stalwart personality (as heard in different astrology podcasts).
Always thought you're an earth sign :)

Dima_G wrote:Curtis:
I know this is off topic but I'm an internet fan of your stoic, stalwart personality (as heard in different astrology podcasts).
Always thought you're an earth sign :)
Thanks! I have relatively balanced elements with a Taurus signature, but a slight fire predominance (Sun Leo MC). I don't think of myself as a stoic, but I do have Saturn in Capricorn.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC

Dima_G wrote:
Here are the main conclusions (but not all of them):
Sun is the ruler of Aries for day births.
Saturn is the ruler of Libra for day births.
Venus is the ruler of Pisces for day births.
Moon is the ruler of Taurus for night births.
Mars co-rules Capricorn together with Saturn.

Of course this doesn't take into account term, face and accidental dignity but the beauty of my conclusions is that they are applicable immediately.
You only have to know if the person was born during the day or during the night.
No disrespect to you but what you are presenting doesn't seem news to a traditional astrologer. We are all aware that multiple planets can have dignities in a sign or part of one. The medieval idea of the Almuten ruler often gave a different composite ruler taking all 5 traditional dignities into account.

In a nutshell you are telling us that that a planet that is exaltation and triplicity ruler in a sign usually trumps the domicile ruler in a pointing scheme based on Domicile ruler=5, Exaltation ruler=4 and Triplicity ruler=3. Maybe I am being obtuse here but I fail to see what is original in that observation. Any medieval astrologer would have understood your argument. The only difference is that they would usually have factored in bound/term and face/decan ruler to the pointing calculation.

Its worth pointing out that Lilly's pointing system largely ignores sect. At least the way a hellenistic astrologer would see it in terms of the fundamental distinction of night and day for each planet.

I'm not over Virgo in my approach and I do think any pointing scheme has definite limitations. Nevertheless, when I have the time I sometimes put planets through a modified pointing system. I vary from Lilly in dropping face/decan, altogether , giving a higher pointing for planets in their bounds and adding a full category for sect.

Hence:

In Sect by Day/Night: 5 Points
Hemisphere alignment in sect: 3 Points
In sect by sign: 2 points.

Triiplicity would obviously be an additional bonus for a planet already in sect. I prefer this approach as planets dont need to be in their triplicity or exaltation to gain from sect alignment.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Hello Mark,

I know that what I presented wasn't "new" par excellence but the whole point was the conclusions you quoted - hence: new rulers for the signs when you combine sect and triplicity rulers according to Dorotheus.
(Like the fact that Saturn is Libra's ruler by day)
I also added disclaimers throughout the article (which I understand you didn't read...) that my ideas differ from the full almuten system which uses term, face and accidental dignity.
The whole point basically is to expand the popularly used sign-ruler and exaltation scheme to include the triplicity rulers using readily available information (if the native was born during day or night)

I'm not sure about "Lilly's ignoring sect". I mean, he did use Ptolemy's table of dignity and ptolemy's table did take account of triplicity ruler based on day/ night.

I'm also familiar with the classical sect considerations - the 'hayz' criterions. I give them lower scores though.
a +2 for each of the points you've raised and if the planet scores a +2 on all of them i give it a +2 hayz bonus (+7 in total).

I'd be happy if you'd give my full article another chance:
http://gurastro.blogspot.co.il/2014/12/ ... n-you.html