Transiting disposition

I've seen how important disposition is from looking at my own natal chart and the charts of others.

However, I wonder how disposition works in terms of transiting planets. As I write this, Jupiter is in Scorpio and Mars is in Capricorn. Does this mean Jupiter will be functioning better than usual at the moment since it's dispositor is exalted?

And what does this mean for planets in Cancer since the condition of their dispositor will be rapidly changing all the time?

holdorflod wrote:I've enjoyed these pre workouts for men a lot and seen how important disposition is from looking at my own natal chart and the charts of others.

However, I wonder how disposition works in terms of transiting planets. As I write this, Jupiter is in Scorpio and Mars is in Capricorn. Does this mean Jupiter will be functioning better than usual at the moment since it's dispositor is exalted?

And what does this mean for planets in Cancer since the condition of their dispositor will be rapidly changing all the time?
I would assume that Jupiter would be functioning better than usual in a situation like that. I'm no expert though. You raised a couple of interesting questions, Holdorflod. I hope someone more knowledgeable can shed some light on this.
Last edited by Mejias on Mon May 23, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Transits are generally viewed as personal aspects of the planets to the natal chart but these planets are also showing events on a mundane level and this situation with Jupiter being ruled by Mars is experienced by everyone right now. Theoretically, the energy of the transiting planet will interact with the natal chart to show a specific situation, feeling, or event, and that energy would likely depend on that planet's own strengths and weaknesses. Jupiter is currently retrograde and peregrine but by having a dignified ruler that receives it via trine might be a good thing. However, Mars is also the lesser malefic and is joined to Saturn, the greater malefic (also strong in Capricorn), and Jupiter is the greater benefic, so by nature these two are at odds and you generally do not want malefics to rule a planet for it to be deemed most easy, or positive. Additionally, Mars is in the sign of Jupiter's fall, whereas if it was in a sign they both had dignity that might be an easier relationship. I have heard Deb mention times where the malefics are strongest and lording over benefics as generally more difficult times, and that could be the case in a natal chart, but that also likely depends on that person's own influences. I don't think many astrologers place much emphasis on distinctions of transits based on essential dignity or being received or having a strong dispositor for the transiting planets, but I don't see why it wouldn't add additional information. In cases where a planet is not dignified and does not have a dignified dispositor, that planet can potentially be more dysfunctional or negative (or just weak). Personally, I tend to view the malefics undignified as more difficult than when dignified but I do see significant difficulty when the benefics are weaker than the malefics and are ruled by them.

Yeah, I've started paying more attention to reception with my personal transits and it's pretty fascinating. At the moment Jupiter is trine my Venus in Pisces from Scorpio and it's a very muted effect compared to when Jupiter was sextile my Venus from Taurus (mutual reception).

I'm sure the disposition plays out somehow in a general global sense i.e. not tied to a specific chart. But I'm still trying to figure out what the implications are for planets in Cancer though since the Moon rapidly changes dignity.

Personally, the current transits are making loads of contact but the malefic influence has been stronger because I have Mars and Saturn transiting an angle (7th). Life seems more difficult than usual and I have had a virus and been very tired the past several weeks. I was actually physically accosted on a bus this week (a man grabbed me inappropriately) and Jupiter is also transiting my 5th and opposing my Sun, and Mars and Venus are also trining-which maybe would be positive normally but in my chart the malefics seem stronger in transit, particularly since I also have an angular Mars in my chart (although dignified). Jupiter under the influence of Mars might add to something inappropriate like that. However, I have also had finals/projects and they have been some of the hardest of my life but I have also done well on them so far. Saturn only transits a sign every 30 years so when Mars meets it there that is a more rare event. Jupiter in the mix can add to that detail in transit where it might alleviate an otherwise difficult situation when that Saturn and Mars conjunction makes contact somewhere. The energies of Mars and Saturn coming together with Jupiter can be positive for some sorts of subjects but maybe not others.

If Jupiter was transiting an angle then I could see where it might be more positive or at least have more strength than it normally would when just being peregrine and retrograde. A debilitated planet that is received by a dignified planet can be made more positive or have more strength to do things.

Sorry to hear about your virus and the bus incident.

From my experience it's worth looking out for transiting quincunxes and dodeciles (semi-sextiles) as well. I picked that up from locational astrologer Julian Lee, who through studying 10's of thousands of charts found that both those aspects are on par with squares/oppositions.

The other day, I had transiting Mercury dodecile my Mars and was just walking to the post office and some guy shouted at me from his car for no reason. It also happened during a Mars/Mercury planetary hour. I think the hours can trigger transits as well, it's something I'm keeping my eye on.