Timekeeping and late classical astrology.

I've been interested in both astrology and mechanical clocks since I was small. Now, reasonably accurate mechanical clocks only became possible after the invention of the balance spring in the 1660s and the pendulum clock in the 1670s. It was around this time that the prestige of astrology started to significantly wane among the scientific establishment. Decent mechanical timekeepers, reliable in rain or shine, mostly arrived too late for Lilly and the rest of the late classical astrologers.

I was wondering what the time sources were for the times cited in Christian Astrology and the like. Of course, a properly oriented and constructed sundial could give a reasonably accurate time, although even here the 'equation of time' makes a sundial 'off' by as much as 20 minutes depending on the time of the year. A quadrant could give equally accurate results with some bother, and an astrolabe would work by night. Still, I wonder what the sources for the local time of day were in those delineations. I find it hard to imagine that the sun was shining in London each time Lilly was consulted. Were those astrologers early adopters of better mechanical clocks?
Le grand crier sans honte audacieux / Sera esleu gouverneur de l'armee.
La hardiesse de son contentieux / Le pont rompu, cit? de peur pasmee.

- Nostradamus, Centuries 3:81

Hello Steve,

As your question seems more historical and technical I suggest posting it on the traditional forum. Your more likely to get a response there.

regards,

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Astrology

Astrology is the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial objects as a means for divining information about human affairs and terrestrial events. Astrology has been dated to at least the second millennium. Throughout most of its history, astrology was considered a scholarly tradition. Astrology, in its broadest sense, is the search for meaning in the sky. I am experienced essayist and blogger at best essay writing services and I am intended on writing academic cases for the past several years that are assisted me to gain knowledge in writing grading assignments for all sorts of students. I have worked in different companies in essay writing.