Clarification -about the 7th house- Is it from Asc or Rising

I realize I may have been reading my natal chart or charts wrong in general as this questions often comes up when some houses have two signs in them.

My question is how does one read the chart to determine what the 7th house is...

Is 7th house the 7th house starting from the ASC, or your rising sign if they are in different houses?

I understand in Horary, since the Asc is always the L1,..the 7th house is the 7th from L1..

In my natal chart I am a rising Aries(26'24) and ASC Aries(16'30) with the different degrees...does one determine my 7th house better than the other?
[/url]

I feel I tend to have better relations with scorpios..and not Libras.....
AMT

amt,

there are a lot of different ways to read an astrology chart.. sorry for starting off philosophical, but if you understand this one point i make, it will make it easier for you to understand astrology and my attempt at an answer for you.. generally speaking the sign on the 7th house cusp - what is the descendant - the point opposition the ascendant - is referred to as the 7th house cusp.. in your chart this would be 16 degrees libra... but in fact, the whole area of 7th, 8th and 9th houses, are connected to relationships with others more generally.. so, while one could say amt has venus in aries which rules the 7th house libra cusp, they could also say amt has 3 planets in the sign scorpio - 8th house area and with this emphasis to amts chart, they are more drawn to relationships with scorpio people! ps - venus in aries, ruler of the 7th is in turn ruled over mars in scorpio...

but to get more philosophical here - anything in a chart can be viewed a number of ways... one could use the sun as a starting point and with amts chart they could say the 7th house cusp using the sun as the starting point has 26 libra as the 7th house cusp to the sun... and etc . etc. with the rest of the chart! so, you can see there is a bit of a build up in the aries-libra, and taurus-scorpio signs with regard to 1st- 7th house type dynamics if you understand this general viewpoint i am trying to convey to you..

anyway, this is my christmas present to you! hopefully you get something out of it.. cheers james

ps - the formatting of your chart is skewing the thread some here too..

I don’t understand your question.

What do you mean by "Is 7th house the 7th house starting from the ASC, or your rising sign if they are in different houses?"

You make it seem that there are two ways of calculating the 7h house, and there is not, even if you change the house system you use.

The 7th house is always 180 degrees apart from your ascendant (which, by the way, is the same as your rising sign, ascendant meaning exactly this in Latin).

Maybe you are making a confusion between house cusp and house.
Yair Alon
Kabbalist

Your 7th lord is ruled by Mars (and in the 12th, a more private house), as are a lot of your planets in general. Why would you think you should like Libra Sun signs just because your 7th house is ruled by Libra? Someone's Sun in your 7th can be strong in synastry but it depends on other factors. It is true that someone with earlier an Scorpio Sun would reside in your 7th too though.

Keep in mind that you also have Pluto in the 7th. Hardly a Libra type of energy there.

I wonder if the problem is with equal house vs. quadrant house systems. In the latter, the degree point opposite ascendant always forms the 7th house cusp. In whole signs, the point opposite the ascendant could be partway into the 7th house, in the 6th, 8th-- or even further away for a high latitude birth at certain times of year.

I wouldn't count the cusp of a sign embedded in a house as co-ruling that house. A house has one planetary ruler (lord.) Having one's moon + a second planet in Scorpio in the 7th would be one indication of an emotional tie to people with their sun in this sign, if we allow, say, a 10-degree orb for the moon.

Hi All,

Thank you for the help and replies! I’m aboard with very little access to the internet. I also only received one email notification of a response, and didn’t realize there were more replies until today.

@ James_m…I am appreciative, I just could not respond…that in no one way means I don’t appreciate the kindness here. Your philosophical response might not be the best route for me at the moment, maybe when I have a deeper meaning of everything and can then simplify it…

In response to everyone

I basically just want to confirm that regardless of where your SUN SIGN is...it is the ASC that is used to determine the 7th house/sign..since that is the 1st house?

I’m curious as some people then to be more closely linked with their Sun sign then their ASC or vice versa, and if those are different…would their 7th house/sign be the 7th house from their SUN sign or ASC..?

Example being…if my sun sign was Scorpio and Rising sign Aries…and I feel/ my energy is more Scorpion then Aries… would my “7th house???/sign then be Taurus…which is really in the 2nd house ..like a “turned house???(I know its not a thing in natal charts..just using the term to help explain my question)…basically would I find I’m more compatible with a Taurus or a Libra?

Thank you again for the help! I’ll be back the night of the 2nd and be able to check responses more readily.
AMT

waybread wrote:I wonder if the problem is with equal house vs. quadrant house systems. In the latter, the degree point opposite ascendant always forms the 7th house cusp. In whole signs, the point opposite the ascendant could be partway into the 7th house, in the 6th, 8th-- or even further away for a high latitude birth at certain times of year.

I wouldn't count the cusp of a sign embedded in a house as co-ruling that house. A house has one planetary ruler (lord.) Having one's moon + a second planet in Scorpio in the 7th would be one indication of an emotional tie to people with their sun in this sign, if we allow, say, a 10-degree orb for the moon.
Yes waybeard!..that what I'm trying to understand..whether its ok that the emotional tie is more closely related to the Sun sign or Rising sign or vice versa...thank you! That helped!
AMT

Tanit3333 wrote:
Your 7th lord is ruled by Mars (and in the 12th, a more private house), as are a lot of your planets in general. Why would you think you should like Libra Sun signs just because your 7th house is ruled by Libra? Someone's Sun in your 7th can be strong in synastry but it depends on other factors. It is true that someone with earlier an Scorpio Sun would reside in your 7th too though.

Keep in mind that you also have Pluto in the 7th. Hardly a Libra type of energy there.
I also had the impression that since my asc was ARIES, that the best partner for me would be Libra since they are suppose to balance each other out..or that I would be more inclined to find partners with strong "libra traits" ...but I just never feel good around them...but felt very different with Scorpios...which is entering my 8th house as well..and thought it was basically a no-no, only the 7th house is a starting indicator of a partner.

I also though Venus represented how we love things/what we find attractive...no so much who we love based on the sign/house it is in?
Last edited by astromythtarotbyjc on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMT

Yair Alon wrote:I don’t understand your question.

What do you mean by "Is 7th house the 7th house starting from the ASC, or your rising sign if they are in different houses?"

You make it seem that there are two ways of calculating the 7h house, and there is not, even if you change the house system you use.

The 7th house is always 180 degrees apart from your ascendant (which, by the way, is the same as your rising sign, ascendant meaning exactly this in Latin).

Maybe you are making a confusion between house cusp and house.
Thanks Y,
With my sun/rising being the same...I can see that..but if my sun sign was different lets say Scorpio...180 degree from that would give me Taurus...)..Since I think people tend to either lean toward one(rising) more than the other(Sun)...I wonder if then their 7th house could relate more to the house 180 degrees from their sun sign...
AMT

astromythtarotbyjc wrote:
I basically just want to confirm that regardless of where your SUN SIGN is...it is the ASC that is used to determine the 7th house/sign..since that is the 1st house?

I’m curious as some people then to be more closely linked with their Sun sign then their ASC or vice versa, and if those are different…would their 7th house/sign be the 7th house from their SUN sign or ASC..?

Example being…if my sun sign was Scorpio and Rising sign Aries…and I feel/ my energy is more Scorpion then Aries… would my “7th house???/sign then be Taurus…which is really in the 2nd house ..like a “turned house???(I know its not a thing in natal charts..just using the term to help explain my question)…basically would I find I’m more compatible with a Taurus or a Libra?

Thank you again for the help! I’ll be back the night of the 2nd and be able to check responses more readily.
question 1 - correct..

question 2 - correct if you use sun as the beginning or starting point - the sign opposite of the sun is the 7th sign to the sun... same deal moon as 1st and etc. etc.. these are called derivative houses and are used a lot in horary and indian astrology.. you are calling them 'turned houses' which is fine too.. it is used in natal charts as well, but not as many astrologers talk about this.. this sort of answers some of question 3 as well..

question 3 - taurus is the 7th sign to moon in scorpio.. - again - derivative houses and in this example - the signs remain the same, but calling them different houses is based off the starting point- planet-sign, whatever it be - sun, moon, ascendant and etc. etc..

question 4.. as to who you would feel most compatible with - this will hinge on how well you know yourself.. looking at an astro chart is supposed help you be able to do this.. hopefully the more you learn about it all, the more you will be able to answer your own questions, as opposed to hoping someone else is going to answer it for you... good luck figuring it out... all the parts of the chart are relevant - some more so then others.. you need to figure out what is what and where you are in it all.. cheers...

james_m wrote:
astromythtarotbyjc wrote:

question 1 - correct..

question 2 - correct if you use sun as the beginning or starting point - the sign opposite of the sun is the 7th sign to the sun... same deal moon as 1st and etc. etc.. these are called derivative houses and are used a lot in horary and indian astrology.. you are calling them 'turned houses' which is fine too.. it is used in natal charts as well, but not as many astrologers talk about this.. this sort of answers some of question 3 as well..

question 3 - taurus is the 7th sign to moon in scorpio.. - again - derivative houses and in this example - the signs remain the same, but calling them different houses is based off the starting point- planet-sign, whatever it be - sun, moon, ascendant and etc. etc..

question 4.. as to who you would feel most compatible with - this will hinge on how well you know yourself.. looking at an astro chart is supposed help you be able to do this.. hopefully the more you learn about it all, the more you will be able to answer your own questions, as opposed to hoping someone else is going to answer it for you... good luck figuring it out... all the parts of the chart are relevant - some more so then others.. you need to figure out what is what and where you are in it all.. cheers...

Thank you so much James_m!! I think knowing that I can use the ASC or the SUN/MOON sign depending on the person's personality really clarified a lot!

J
AMT