Buying furniture - which house?

Hi all

Can someone please help me which house to look at for a question like "should i buy this furniture?" I have seen people take 8th and 2nd both. What did the classical astrologers do? Olivia Barclay takes 2nd house i remember but the ones ( I have seen Crawley's followers do this) who look at the 8th say that since the object is not yet purchased it should belong to the property of others' ie, the 8th house. I m not sure which approach to follow.

Will be glad if someone has the time to help me figure this out. Thanks for reading

:)

This is one of those cases where it would be nice to hear from Deb. Her houses index does not list furniture but personal possessions are 2nd house. I could even argue that it is 5th if it is a luxury item. If you are purchasing a possession someone else owns, then the 8th makes sense. A simple purchase from a store seems more so 2nd to me. Venus might rule very nicely adorned furniture whereas Saturn might rule handmade or wood furniture or old furniture. Mars rules metal so it could even represent modern, industrial or eclectic type of metal furniture.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/index_list.html

In questions "O fBuying and Selling Commodities", Lilly, CA, p. 376, advises to "distinguish what you are to buy", and lists some commodities according to their own houses as if belonging already to the querent or buyer: thus, for example, small animals are signified by the 6th house and its lord, houses by the 4th; "and so consider in any other Commodity."

And by his sentence:"if it concerne Horses, Asses, Camels, Oxen or Cowes, Judgement must be drawn from the twelfth and the acendant" we may learn that the relation between the thing and the ascendant is crucial.

So - with Lilly - furniture is signified by the 2nd and its lord.

Hi Tanit thank you once again for your kind response! Additional perspective about Mars, Venus and Saturn is interesting. Yes it would be good to hear Deb and others. I have refered to that article on skyscript many times. 2nd house is commonly assigned the rulership of personal possessions . But when the item is not yet purchasedcan we still see it as "personal possession".

Hi Johannes, thanks for the link. I read that portion from William Lilly's book but failed to find where he specifically mentioned the 2nd house for general commodities which cannot be assigned to any other particular house such as 6th for small animals etc. Does he mention it separately or do you infer it following logically his other instructions?
Sorry for still sounding confused.
:?

I will describe what happened recently in relation to this. Few days back i asked a question about buying furniture. Since i would be making an online purchase i was keen to know which of the two options that i had narrowed down would be a better choice. i could see and judge the design features online but i wasnt sure which of those would have a better quality, more durable wood. I wanted to use the triplicity method outlined for multiple choice questions. In my chart i got Leo as the 2nd house cusp and Capricorn as the 8th. Looking at these two it was obvious that the 8th cusp was better defining the product (dark wood, basic and somewhat spartan in design with no ornamentation).

So basically what should i do in such a case - let the cahrt dictate the rulership? in which case it should be 8th ? or stick to 2nd house which i had decided to look at before asking the question?

May be the problem arose because untill recently i was in a habit of taking the 8th to signify any commodities for purchase. So may be the chart just replicated that pattern?

:-?

From the description of the furniture, it does seem that Saturn would be the ruler. Sun just entered Capricorn and is Saturn ruled but in general I do not associate Sun with spartan wooden furniture. That sounds very Saturn to me and Saturn is also with Venus, which I think adds to a furniture emphasis, especially if fabric is involved. Fabrics are ruled by Venus. Since Saturn is well dignified then it would suggest good quality wood. Each of the planets also represent different trees, so another way to consider it is what tree type the wood is made out of and that could help with deciding. Saturn's can be found here: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/saturn_att.html