Re: astrosignature for astrologers

sigma4 wrote:I have just noticed an interesting research article in astrodatabank.
"Now that we have the software available to us to assist us in developing AstroSignatures, I envision that AstroSignatures will become the standard of astrological diagnostic criteria, serving a purpose similar to the one the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-IV) serves for the psychiatric community."

Wait....stop....Oh my God....my sides are splitting....there's milk coming out of my nose....the tears are streaming down my cheeks...I'm doubled over in pain...Oh...Oh...I can't breathe....Stop...Stop....I mean it...I can't stop laughing....

Thank you for the link to this article. It was pure comedy.

Andrew

Thank you for the link to this article. It was pure comedy.
Andrew,

Without implying that I agree with those findings, I believe you need to give your counter-arguments and counter evidence, because otherwise someone could rightfully find it ridiculous to not accept them. Don't you think something's being funny does not suffice to deem it invalid?

Regards,

Well, i think andrew was a little unpolite :-)
but this research and others in the astrodatabank lack methodology and have excess reverence for "scientificism", as science were the new religion, and statistical analysis were its profet.

in defense of astrodatabank this is an error we see in all fields... economics, psychology, administration, medicine... we substitute the inquiry for the numbers, and think that "the truth is in the data", which is very poor epistemology.

See in this site a research about serial killers, it is probably the worst one I have ever read, and is all over internet in three or four places !

Yuzuru

sigma4 wrote:Don't you think something's being funny does not suffice to deem it invalid?
To draw a comparison between AstroSignature and DSM-IV is the height of hubris.

The DSM-IV is the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, which has been updated and added to with regularity since its inception. In 1987, the DSM-III was revised and re-titled DSM-III ? R. The current manual is called the DSM-IV ? TR.

It is a manual outlining mental disorders. Healthcare professionals including physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, and others came together to create a single manual containing categories of diagnoses with attendant symptomatology for each, to aid in treatment.

Most astrologers would be less than likely to agree on the criteria used to compile AstroSignature, not to mention the lack of empirical data to support its claims. It is ridiculous for certain astrologers to whine about "scientism" when they themselves make claims which presuppose an empirical basis for their assertions. It's a bit like reading the delusional rantings of a madman who inhabits his own hermetically-sealed universe and then asserts that the science of the universe next door supports his claims as well, even though he rejects the basis upon which those claims are made. I would rather be impolite than completely delusional.

hmm.. I'm not arguing here, but I must debate a bit and disagree. I understand this astro signatures vision. That's all she is claiming it to be too. The beginning reasearch of a vision. A manual that step by step spells out the particular astro signatures of certain vocations. You could definitely categorize this type of manual as a diagnotic tool couldn't you?? How could you not?

The DSM is simply a diagnostic tool...just cause you read it does not mean you understand it like the psychitrist who has studied it for years. It also does not mean that hands down it is the law of mental disorders. Like you said, it's being constantly revised and improved with time and study. Much like this 'vision' would need if it were ever to become reality.

How is an astrologer any different than a psychitrist anyway?? Astrologers use knowledge, experience and a tool (a chart) to explain feelings, behaviours, actions reactions and then they perscribe the most valuable insights for the clients to take the best routes within their situation...What does a psychitrist do?..Umm..Uses knowledge, experience and a tool (the DSM) to explain feelings, behaviours, actions blah blah..

Anyway..I was not super impressed with these stats or her amount of organization or current ability to achieve anything impressive at the moment. I believe that the astrology community itself is far too divided and confused to be able to effectively make any type of "standard" decisions. LOL.. But I like the vision and you never know, when I stop seeing post about 6th house or 10th house for job.. maybe the vision will be possible:) lol..

I believe that the astrology community itself is far too divided and confused to be able to effectively make any type of "standard" decisions. LOL..
God forbid this day comes ! You should only give a look at what "astrologers" are talking in the internet and see the consistency of their "methods" to realise that any standard decision will be in the least common denominator.
But I like the vision and you never know, when I stop seeing post about 6th house or 10th house for job.. maybe the vision will be possible:) lol..
Oh, I would like that so, it is soooo annoying.... but apparently it will never happen. People just think they are too smart (smarter than others anyway) and believe too much in "scientific universal truth" to respect the most simply of the "paradigmal fences": in traditional astrology, for example, there are malefics, in modern astrology don`t. So the person should say "I am doing modern astrology to analyse this chart".
But nooooo, there is always have to be some enlighted one who have to discuss why alan leo is right and 5000 years of astrological tradition are wrong...
Snif !
Yuzuru