The Moon as the soul

Hi everyone,

As a note, I use Sidereal astrology (not strictly Vedic, but I also study it).

I use the Moon as the main signifier of the native instead of the Sun.

What I have been thinking of lately is that the Moon quite possibly represents one’s own soul.

Some people like to say that the mind/emotions/etc are somehow different from the soul, but I don’t really buy into such distinctions. I believe that the mind and emotions come directly from the soul. I see the soul as something incredibly deep inside someone; its our unconscious and the Moon is what makes it conscious, if that makes sense. The mind is it speaking and our emotions is it feeling and reacting.

In some traditions, the Moon is said to represent the body as well. It makes sense as some believe the body to reflect the soul.

As I see it currently, the Sun is the grand generator and creator. Her light is caught by the Moon and he reflects that, distilling it in a certain sign, in a certain house (I also use lunar mansion, which are even better to describe a native), giving (re)birth to the native’s soul.

I’m a Pisces Moon, Libra Sun, and I have felt and thought about this for a few days now. I would love to hear everyone’s opinions!

hi tzukii,

welcome to skyscript! you obviously have a good internet connection off the moon!

i like the topic you are raising.. i think it was a number of years ago that i came to the conclusion that the moon is undervalued in western astrology.. i came up with this theory a long time ago when i met my wife over 30 years ago.. i guessed she was a cancer, but in fact she is a scorpio with moon in cancer.. - all tropical...

a little further down the road i started thinking of the importance of the placement of the moon in womens charts and how it is generally more important then it is given credit for... much later i learned about hellenistic astrology and how it depends on whether one is born in the day or night - how imporant the sun or the moon might be in a persons chart...

very recently, i have been finding out about the importance of the moon in indian astrology.. an ascendant drawn off the moon is popular in this type of astrology, although i have yet to read anyone talking about it in any detail.

i am not sure how one can define 'soul'... but i think the moon as a symbol for ones emotions, the past and subjective feelings and etc would seem to fit with the idea of the soul..

i personally have the moon rising in my chart about 4 or 5 degrees above the ascendant and in the same sign as the ascendant in tropical.. it is not in the same sign in indian astrology unless i change from lahari, or fagan to many of the other systems... i do find this interesting and challenging and am going to write a separate post on it in the sidereal forum as i have some questions to ask about it!

hopefully others will have some thoughts to share with you on this interesting topic.

I don't recall where it was that I read this phrase, but I never forgot it, "The all important Moon." The problem is that once declared to be "all important" it takes a back seat to the Sun and in modern astrology, the outers - or so it seemed to me.

My own nomination for most undervalued planet is Mercury, but that's a different story. I think the idea of Moon as emotions, while probably valid, overshadows the Moon's overall importance. The best known Arabic Part or lot is the lot of fortune, also known as "the part of the Moon." It's the fulcrum of the Sun-Moon relationship. As tsukii mentioned above the Moon is said to represent the body (as does the POF). It represents the women in our lives and if it represents half the population of the Earth, then it's important.

It's the closest celestial object to the Earth and the largest to our eye. Ancient traditions might say those two characteristics alone make the Moon exceptionally powerful.

I don't think the Moon should replace what we typically use to signify the native, the ASC, it's ruler and some use the Sun. But it shouldn't be ignored either. Are the Sun and Moon in aspect? If so how is that reflected in the native. If not, what are the consequences if any?

Luna probably does require more respect, if for no other reason, so she doesn't end up like Mercury.

james_m wrote:hi tzukii,

welcome to skyscript! you obviously have a good internet connection off the moon!

i like the topic you are raising.. i think it was a number of years ago that i came to the conclusion that the moon is undervalued in western astrology.. i came up with this theory a long time ago when i met my wife over 30 years ago.. i guessed she was a cancer, but in fact she is a scorpio with moon in cancer.. - all tropical...

a little further down the road i started thinking of the importance of the placement of the moon in womens charts and how it is generally more important then it is given credit for... much later i learned about hellenistic astrology and how it depends on whether one is born in the day or night - how imporant the sun or the moon might be in a persons chart...

very recently, i have been finding out about the importance of the moon in indian astrology.. an ascendant drawn off the moon is popular in this type of astrology, although i have yet to read anyone talking about it in any detail.

i am not sure how one can define 'soul'... but i think the moon as a symbol for ones emotions, the past and subjective feelings and etc would seem to fit with the idea of the soul..

i personally have the moon rising in my chart about 4 or 5 degrees above the ascendant and in the same sign as the ascendant in tropical.. it is not in the same sign in indian astrology unless i change from lahari, or fagan to many of the other systems... i do find this interesting and challenging and am going to write a separate post on it in the sidereal forum as i have some questions to ask about it!

hopefully others will have some thoughts to share with you on this interesting topic.
Thank you for the welcome! That Moon gods work in mysterious ways~

Sect is all too important to be ignored, I believe. I'm a night birth as well, with the Moon in the 10th house (10th house ruled by Pisces and an Aquarius MC, unless that's figured differently), so the Moon is particularly strong for me.

To make the Piscean energy in me even sronger, I also have Neptune in the 7th house, another of the angular houses. Jupiter is in Scorpio, which I believe would be in sect as well as being in a water sign, so these elements are quite strong for me.

I've met some people who are typically hardcore by the book in both Vedic and Western astrology, which is unfortunate, but I really believe in delving deep into the meanings of everything in astrology.

I'm beginning to ramble and become incoherent, but the Moon being the soul of an individual really makes sense to me, especially considering his corresponding Lunar Mansion.
tom wrote:I don't recall where it was that I read this phrase, but I never forgot it, "The all important Moon." The problem is that once declared to be "all important" it takes a back seat to the Sun and in modern astrology, the outers - or so it seemed to me.

My own nomination for most undervalued planet is Mercury, but that's a different story. I think the idea of Moon as emotions, while probably valid, overshadows the Moon's overall importance. The best known Arabic Part or lot is the lot of fortune, also known as "the part of the Moon." It's the fulcrum of the Sun-Moon relationship. As tsukii mentioned above the Moon is said to represent the body (as does the POF). It represents the women in our lives and if it represents half the population of the Earth, then it's important.

It's the closest celestial object to the Earth and the largest to our eye. Ancient traditions might say those two characteristics alone make the Moon exceptionally powerful.

I don't think the Moon should replace what we typically use to signify the native, the ASC, it's ruler and some use the Sun. But it shouldn't be ignored either. Are the Sun and Moon in aspect? If so how is that reflected in the native. If not, what are the consequences if any?

Luna probably does require more respect, if for no other reason, so she doesn't end up like Mercury.
He is all too important, in my beliefs. The Moon is the closest body to us in the heavens, so it makes sense to me that his position is in has the greatest affect on us.

For natal significators, I like to use the Moon as per what has been taught to me in studying Vedic astrology and the importance of the ASC as well (which is criminally undervalued in modern astrology).

Maybe a little theology is called for, prior to looking for the soul inside of the horoscope.

I don't take a sectarian view of God, which to me represents divine consciousness and the creative principle of the universe. The matrix in which existence takes place. I don't see divine consciousness as gendered, or suitably defined as a parental or ruler metaphor.

In this context, the soul is part of what Divine Consciousness is.

Also, I don't believe in reincarnation in any sectarian sense. It just makes sense to me that, just as Divine Consciousness is indestructible, so is the portion of it that we call the soul.

Consequently the soul is bigger and more durable than the individual lifetime and its horoscope.

What I think the horoscope shows is the soul's goals for this lifetime, its assets and challenges.

People will take issue with this, but you asked for our opinions.

There is mounting evidence the moon is artificial. How many of you recall hearing/reading ancient lore, prefaced by; "Before there was a moon".
Have none of you found it peculiar we should only ever see the one side of the moon? How about the fact animals haven't gotten used to it?

It's refreshing to read your assignment of Ol' Sol as female; and why not? The premise of all women occupying latter status has never been right.

I'm awaiting the day astrologers examine this and begin assessing it's affects on the moon's rulerships, and the staggering implications this entails.

This revelation evokes new archetypes of the trickster, the puppet master, the magician.

I invite you to do an online search, and naturally, wade beyond the crackpot stuff. There's some fascinating information available.

Here's a start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhTagWzkjHk