Re: mansions of the moon

james_m wrote:this article of peter stockinger reminds me of the nakshatras.. anyone know what peter or those previous to him are basing these mansions of the moon on? i can't find it on his site.. thanks.. if you read the comment section, it appears peter doesn't know the basis or origins of them.. ideas anyone??

https://starsandstones.wordpress.com/ma ... -the-moon/

Hi James: I'm just guessing here but they could come from Lunar Astrology by A. Volguine. This was the first book I came across about the lunar mansions in western astrology, and about the only one I've seen worth having. Translated from the French published in 1972 by ASI Publishers. Inc. It's a rather short work but he has gathered about all that was available at the time in 1936 when the first volume was published in France on western lunar mansions.

PS: Looking closer at his blog site there are some other lunar mansion references from 16th-century western works on astrology/magic like Planeten Buch (Book of Planets) and 18th century Francis Barrett, so perhaps they have another source or are cobbled together from many.

Volguine goes briefly into the origins as he can discover and references everything he notes. If I remember right Volguine feels the Lunar Mansions are very ancient and feels their best original form is represented in Babylonian and Chineses sources. He also devotes some time to the Hindu system and suggests the Hindus adapted the Nakshatras from the Babylonian and Chinese systems and the Arabs from the Hindu.

thanks aj!

i have volguines book - lunar astrology.. i have yet to read it, but after you pointing it out - i pulled it off the shelf and have been reading it the past 1/2 hour.. it is indeed relevant and very connected to all this! in fact volguine seems to suggest the lunar mansions were a part of many different cultures astrology - chinese, indian, babylonian and etc. etc.. the basis for the version that peter stockinger is working with is based off the tropical zodiac, but the meanings for them are the same as the indian system based off the sidereal.. so - the first mansion in stockingers presentaion is the same as the first one in the indian system.. where it breaks down is using 27, as opposed to 28 houses or mansions... the other interesting thing is the chinese lunar mansions are very unequal in length - although they get 28 in a diagram that volguine has in this book..

i will have to study the book further.. thanks for reminding me of it!!! james