Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Question on Profections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nsmen

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Question on Profections Reply with quote

My understanding is that profections are what are considered to activate planets in traditional astrology. The activated planet is the time lord for the year, which is the ruler of the sign where the ascendant is profected, plus any planets that are in the same sign as the time lord and/or in a sign the time lord rules. Is that correct?

For example, let's say I am in a sixth house profection year. (I actually was last year.) My sixth sign is Gemini. That makes Mercury my time lord for the year, and also activates Venus, because I have Venus in Virgo (along with Mercury) and Mars, which I have in Gemini.

My question: does that also activate houses ruled by Mars or Venus and planets placed in them? What about houses and planets ruled by those planets? How far down the line does it go?

This year is much simpler: seventh house profection, only one planet in the seventh sign, no planets in the houses it rules, and no other traditional planets with the ruler of my seventh. If I understand profections correctly, my activated planets right now are Moon (time lord for the year, ruler of the seventh) and Saturn (in the seventh), and my activated houses are the seventh, the twelfth (moon placement), and the first and second (ruled by Saturn). No planets in Capricorn or Aquarius, and nothing in Sag besides the moon (except Neptune, which doesn't count traditionally). Unless a planet transiting one of those signs is activated even if it wouldn't be otherwise?

Thanks,
https://waveadvice.com/

Last edited by Nsmen on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanit3333

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nsmen - Chris Brennan is an expert on profections and has a website for a course offering, if you are interested. I believe he and others also use planetary profections, calculating times planets (or points, such as the lot of spirit) are brought forward, called Zodiacal Releasing, and he uses methods derived from texts that have been translated from the work of Valens. I watched the lectures a long time ago but I do not recall those planets being ruled by the profected planet being significant. Maybe he or others might comment on how important that is, because, like you said, it all begins to be a bit too much. I do recall those planets within the profected house being activated too but the house ruler is generally more significant. The primary activation is: the profected 1st house, the ruler of that house and the house it is in, other planets within the profected 1st house. The planet that rules the profected 1st should be looked at relative to the planets it aspects in the natal as well as transits. There are also subrulers of the houses that can sometimes be more helpful for pinpointing specific timing, but are not necessarily important to look at general trends.

To me, what becomes most obvious with profections even to a beginner is that you will notice years when your strong planets are being emphasized versus your more difficult ones via the ascendant lord. This can be very interesting to observe. I personally even notice how when the profected ruler changes sign or movement in transit that can impact future events very obviously. For example, if you had Mercury ruling a year and in transit it was doing well in Gemini or Virgo, life might run more smoothly and your mental aptitude might be better than normal. However, when Mercury enters Pisces or Sagittarius, or is retrograde, you may notice more problems or general Mercury issues, such as communication issues as well as issues surrounding the subject matter of the year and the house Mercury is in. This could also be altered by other planets in transit and where the profected planet is in transit to the profected houses. With the slow moving bodies, the year can sometimes be more consistent in how things are going. For anyone who knows their own chart well, you also tend to intimately know your own planets and the stuff they tend to bring with them when they are emphasized. I follow simplistic use of profections more so than other predictive methods.

One difficult thing with profections is deciding on using whole sign or not. I opted to not because my ascendant is at 15 degrees, in the middle of the sign and I consistently noticed changes halfway through my birth year.
james_m

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi hsmen,

welcome to skyscript! bob dylan is from duluth... i have been their once and found the place quite interesting..

ben dykes put out a few books, but one in particular that i found very informative on the use of profections.. https://www.bendykes.com/product/persian-nativities-iii-on-solar-revolutions/

as i understand it, using profection lords is in combination with what one focuses on in the the natal and solar return chart.. it is a combo of these 3 charts.. what is the profection lord? how is it situated in the natal, and solar return chart?

the focus is on the sign and ruler of the sign as i understand it.. i don't recall reading anywhere about having other planets in that same sign and the relevance of that... in the example you gave - 6th sign gemini and it was a 6th house gemini profection.. the focus is on gemini, not virgo.. the planets in virgo are less relevant as i understand the use of this technique.. i would just focus on mercury and gemini and not focus on virgo and planets in virgo.. that is how far down the line i would go... i would put greater emphasis on mercury and gemini in the solar return chart as well..

now, if mercury is in some type of aspect relationship to some other planet in the natal, or in the solar return, i would consider that relevant.. but, i think the best thing you could do would be to keep on asking questions like this and read as much as possible on the topic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: