Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

shadbala

View previous topic :: View next topic  
james_m

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: shadbala Reply with quote

shadbala is some way to define planetary power... it is an accumulation of all the balas that can be gotten by a planet via, house position, sign position, and etc. etc..

well, this much i get from reading a book called shadbala by s.k. duggal and neerja taneja..

i am about 1/2 way thru the book.. here are the chapter titles.
shad-bala - an introduction
sthana bala
dig bala
kaala bala
cheshta bala
naisargik baka
drik bala
ishta bala and kashta bala
bhava bala
shad bala pinda
vimshopaka bala
planetary rays
delineation of horoscoropes
controversies
divisional chats
bibliography
index..

the book has a lot of interesting things to say! kaala bala for example is made up of 9 subparts.. diurnal and nocturnal strength - nathonnata bala or divaratri bala - is a part of this... it is different then how i understand it via hellenistic astrology...for example - the sun, jupiter and venus are most powerful at local mid-day and powerless at midnight... the moon, mars and saturn are most powerful at midnight and powerless at mid-day...

how does one sync the hellenistic ideas of nocturnal-diurnal with this? i can't!!!
Therese Hamilton

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two different systems. Don't try to get them to work together. To effectively use either Hellenistic astrology or India's astrology takes many years of study, much reading and taking classes from professionals in order to get individual viewpoints. Students have to begin from Square One and work their way through the ropes. Otherwise the result is more and more confounded mental confusion.

In just the last few days I've been trying to work my way through a simple premise of the Kalamsa and Cuspal Interlinks System (The Indian system devised by S.P. Khullar, books dating from 2004). I've studied this system before, but there's no way I'm going to totally grasp even a part of the system without a lot of personal research. So far my research has pretty well shown that it's not necessary to use Placidus cusps. Equal cusps seem to work even better for the four levels of rulerships the system uses. The Kalamsa system is built on Krishnamurti's work, and traditionally uses Placidus cusps.

Another new system, Systems Approach (I think from the early 1990s...?) devised by V.K. Choudhry places great importance on the degree of equal cusps in the center of all the houses. I studied this system because through many years I found the equal cusp degrees to be very important.

Both these astrological pioneers concluded that many principles of Parashara and Jaimini simply don't work in practice, or each individual case needs so much modification that the system can be unworkable. If the principles of the Kalamsa theory are valid, the problem of birth recitification down to seconds is possible if there is a recorded birth time to begin with.

So Indian astrology is growing and changing, and it can take many years of work to fully research and master some of these basic new concepts, not to mention traditional principles.

Of the subjects you listed from the Shad Bala book, James, I'd be most interested in the controversies. Can you summarize what these controversies are according to the authors??
james_m

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks therese,

i am not trying to get them to work together.. i am acknowledging that their are significant inconsistencies in the theories! i have been picking up quite a few actually... here's another one - obvious to many.. saturn and venus are enemies to one another in western astrology.. they are friends in indian astrology! there are many theories that don't line up, which is fine, but not all of them can be correct and it is worth considering.. how much of indian astrology was influenced by hellenistic astrology? i don't have an answer, but clearly the ideas and way they have moved it forward are very different..

regarding the chapter on controversies - i am being a real pragmatist here and reading chapter to chapter and haven't gotten to that one yet! as a scorpio rising and moon in scorpio, it was the first chapter i wanted to check out - just like you! but, alas, i haven't even peeked! i will give you a quick overview on it asap..

thanks for sharing what you share in your post here today! cheers james
james_m

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therese,

the controversies chapter.. it is complicated to share, but essentially the chapter starts out by saying shadbala wasn't given much consideration in the past compared to today where astro software progs can generate the data quickly without a person having to do all the math..

it then goes on to describe the 2 main software progs used to generate shadbala and how they were generated off 3 books primarily... apparently there are different ways to generate the results with slight differences in opinion about how to weigh different factors..

the whole chapter is more technical in nature, showing differences in very detailed stuff that is meant for someone who is really into all this.. sorry, i am unable to offer more here..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Sidereal Astrology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: