Some random comments here...
a few things.. i just put a post up on navamsha you might find interesting.. in my reading an author v.p. goel suggests that when a planet is vargottam - mercury in assanges chart - it is strengthened considerably and gives better results... i am just passing the info on as i can't vouch for it yet..
Yes, I did not check the navamsha. Yes you are right, it increases the strength of mercury, which is not surprising for a man who is dealing with computers and hacking et.c.
But still mercury at sandi between signs at 0 degree, and also challengingly aspected would show up in it's dasha.
also, the comment you make on venus bhukti - or sub dasa here, aside from the position of venus in the natal chart in the 8th, it lands in the 12th house in the navamsha chart in the sign libra.. this would help venus in being in libra, but is again problematic as being in the 12th... the tentative 3pm chart time has to be kept in mind too as it might be wrong...
Right...and...there is also an important technique for checking bhukti results in a dasha, where one see the bhukti planet in relationship to the dasha planet. And here using this in mercury- venus period for Assange, we see that venus is in the 12th house from mercury...again emphasising the challenges in this particular venus bhukti.

in my limited reading on divisional charts or vargas the use of the 10th divisional chart or Dashamsha, is not given great emphasis... however in the past century that seems to be changing with the great importance placed on career... i am not sure how to factor in the data off the dashamsha chart yet...
I think it's often showing results when checking planets in dashamsha...reminded now of the supreme strength of jupiter in Pope Francis chart when looking at jupiter karaka for religion.
It's in own sign sag in his birth chart. In navamsha jupiter is exalted in cancer navamsha. In his Dashamasha Jupiter is in pisces own sign.

Looking at the Thai king in the other thread, we see that he is in mercury dasha when being coronated king. Mercury is stationary and in exaltation sign virgo in his dashamsha..which increased the power in his career in this mercury period for him. A mercury which is good placed in the natal chart as well being in 9th house aspected by jupiter.

Best wishes

Yes, checked Marie Kondo also ,which have a thread here in sidereal forum as well.

Her Jupiter is quite much in strength in her chart as well as navamsha and dashamsha. It certainly help her in her career as a consultant, teacher and expert in her field.

Birthchart (rashi chart) JU in sag
Navamsha JU in Cancer exalted.
Dashamsha JU in Pisces own sig.

well, this concept of vargottam - a planet in the same sign in the navamsha as it is in the rasi chart, or the concept of a planet in the navamsha being in it's ruling sign as strengthening the qualities of the planet in the rasi chart remains to be seen for me so far.. if the 3pm chart is valid, or close, we are in the mercury dasa and the venus bhukti period - two planets that are strengthened considerably by being vargottam with mercury and be being in venus's ruling sign here in the navamsha..

one could say - venus in the 12th strengthens the 12th house dynamic - prison, or held in captivity i suppose... i also read that some in the indian tradition view the 6th and 8th as more problematic then the 12th too...

not sure how useful vargottam idea or other ideas are regarding divisional charts, in particular - navamsha chart...

as for marie kondo - there is no birth time for her, but for anyone who wants to review that thread which stefan refers to - check here -

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10395

stefan, on a personal note i have jupiter in cancer in the natal chart, ju in pisces in the navamsha and jupiter in sag in the dashamsha chart... about all i can say about this is i am not convinced of the concept or relevance of it just yet.. i am starting to think it might be more relevant the aspects that the planets make in these charts then the sign or house placements at this point... but, ultimately i am not sure so i remain philosophical about it all! thanks for sharing!

james_m wrote:this concept of vargottam - a planet in the same sign in the navamsha as it is in the rasi chart, or the concept of a planet in the navamsha being in it's ruling sign as strengthening the qualities of the planet in the rasi chart remains to be seen for me so far..
not sure how useful vargottam idea or other ideas are regarding divisional charts, in particular - navamsha chart...
Hi James: Shiva's curse again...
Vargottamma is mentioned in Saravali Chapter 3, sloka 13 (depending on your translation). Here it says that good results come to planets in vargottamma divisions. This is mostly true but Saravali does not qualify the statement, which is common in the classical texts.

In my expereince good results come only when the concerned planet is strong in the natal chart.

Planets that are weak in the natal chart do not suddenly get any stronger by being well placed in navamsa, or any other divisional chart for that matter.

A planet is deemed weak for delineation if they are neecha in navamsa and are weak for the specific area of the concerned divisional if it is neecha there.
For example, if any planet is strong in the natal and navamsa, but neecha in D10, it is weak only regarding the significations of the 10th house. If it is neecha in navamsa this makes it weak regarding all of its significations in the natal chart.

Each planet should be considered independently for its placement, strength, relationship with other planets, etc.

In Assange's chart, Me is an interesting case in vargotamma.
Mercury is weak in early degrees but without Saturns exact aspect on the equal bhava madhya of the ninth house that greatly magnifies all of the occupants, both Ketu and Mercury and Jupiters close aspect to raises its strength...
Without these other factors to strengthen Mercury's postition in his chart vargotamma wouldn't help Mercury.
[Lord, I hope that made sense]

Cheers.

hi aj,

thank you again for your kindness in articulating all this.. your posts are always helpful and get me to thinking a bit outside the box, but at the same time, trying to figure out just what is the box i want to define for myself in all of the ideas i am introduced to along the way..

i appreciate the more nuanced comments you make on the position of mercury in regard to all the other considerations to be made on its role in this chart.. thanks for all that..

did you have any thoughts on my comments on venus in libra in the navamsha? i am curious...

on a related note.. i am now reading a second book on navamsha.. i think both the authors are steeped in jaimini astrology, but one has to know enough about some of this, to be able to gleam this... i am slowing figuring it out, but no one articulates it specifically, so i might be getting jaimini ideas without fully recognizing that i am..
AJ wrote: In my experience good results come only when the concerned planet is strong in the natal chart.

Planets that are weak in the natal chart do not suddenly get any stronger by being well placed in navamsa, or any other divisional chart for that matter.

If it is neecha in navamsa this makes it weak regarding all of its significations in the natal chart.

Each planet should be considered independently for its placement, strength, relationship with other planets, etc.

In Assange's chart, Me is an interesting case in vargotamma.
Mercury is weak in early degrees but without Saturns exact aspect on the equal bhava madhya of the ninth house that greatly magnifies all of the occupants, both Ketu and Mercury and Jupiters close aspect to raises its strength...
Without these other factors to strengthen Mercury's position in his chart vargotamma wouldn't help Mercury.
[Lord, I hope that made sense] - -james comment it does! thanks!

Cheers.