Saturn-Jupiter (Great conjunction) 2020 (Tropical)

Let’s discuss the great astrological event of next year: The Saturn-Jupiter conjunction of 2020.

The conjunction (at least according to Astro.com) occurs on 2020, Dec 21st, 18:21H GMT.

For the uninitiated, these conjunctions take place, roughly once every 20 years. Astrologers in the middle ages and the early modern period considered these conjunctions vital in predicting world historical events, and structuring historical periods in general. Whole books have been written about how to interpret such charts.

Here is the chart for the conjunction, as well as the chart as it appears for three notable cities.

[1] the ‘flat’ chart: The planetary positions themselves.

[2] The Chart for Greenwich, London

[3] The Chart for Washington, DC

[4] The Chart for Beijing, China.

[1] the ‘flat’ chart: The planetary positions themselves.
Jupiter and Saturn are both in 0 AQU 29 = 1st degree of Aquarius.
The Sun is in 0 Cap 21
The moon is in 27 Pis 53.
Saturn and Jupiter are making the following aspects:
1) Square Uranus
2) Square Mars
3) Sextile Moon

For London: (Local time: 2020, Dec 21st, 18:21H)
Ascendant: 0 Leo 56
MC: 6 Aries 34
The conjunction falls in the 6th placidus house, or 7th whole sign house.
Note: The conjunction in London is very nearly in conjunction with the Descendant, which is
also ruled by Saturn.

For Beijing, China. Local time: 2020, Dec 22nd, 02:21H )

Ascendant: 25 Lib 50
Mc 0Leo 14
The conjunction falls in the 4th placidus house , or 5th whole sign house.
Note; Saturn is the lord of the 4th house, and very nearly conjunct the 4th house cusp. Compare the chart for London.

For Washington DC (Local time: 2020, Dec 21st, 13:21H )
Ascendant: 0 Tau 46
MC: 17 Cap 32
The conjunction falls in the 10th placidus house , or 10th Whole sign house
Note: Saturn is the lord of the Midheaven in this chart

Interpreting great conjunctions

The best current work is Ben Dyke's Astrology of the World, specifically vol. 2, which is more or less dedicated to the subject. Notable is his discussion of true and mean conjunctions (already published on this website)

Abū Maʻshar's On historical astrology : the book of religions and dynasties , is the main primary source. It has been translated by Charles Burnett and Kenji Yamamoto to English. Be warned: This is not an introductory work. Burnett and Yamamoto's translation comes in two volumes, of which Vol. 1 contains the Arabic text and English translation. Vol 2 is almost entirely in Latin.

I should also mention the rather curious Zadkiel's Legacy, a pamphlet interpreting the January 1842 Conjunction. https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=jh ... &q&f=false

I should note two curious features of the pamphlet:
1. The author uses Uranus (called Herschel) in his interpretations.
2. The author was quite willing to use "Hindu Astrology" in his interpretations, and also cast charts for various parts of India.

This method casting charts for various locations to diagnose "local problems" was floated as a possibility by Dykes in his book. It is pleasing to see it actually used in practice.

Hello,

A Timely thread on this. Also interesting that it is at the very beginning of Aquarius with the ideas of The Age of Aquarius around.

I just wonder what happens when Pluto transits into Aquarius and crosses this Point.

On the 21st Dec 2020 Pluto is around 23°24° Capricorn and transits to 26°48' on the 25th April 2021.

Then 28°36' in April 2022. And then crosses into Aquarius temporarily in late March 2023.

It may seem all a bit irrelevant but Pluto can bring Destruction as well as Massive Power.

I'm interested in how people think this plays out. What are the Astrological Technicalities and considerations involved ?

Could it be All Over before It Has Begun for the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction of Xmas 2020 ?

Personally, I think our "Modern" World will All Fall Down with Pluto's arrival into Aquarius.

H

"Mother 1980

Interestingly it has so far hardly been noticed that the conjunction will be conj. Mars in the coniunctio maxima of Dec. 31st, 1980.
In the chart of the 2020 conjunction for Washington Ac is at first degree of Taurus: "purity" - oft whatever (Hitler's Sun was there).
And this AC is conj. midpoint MA/UR.
Another US-war threatening.
See also the chart of the next inauguration, January 2021...
Non coerceri maximo, contineri minimo divinum est.

thanks edward for posting the charts and making a thread on this important topic.. we have discussed it here at skyscript before - in the past few years, but i can't find a direct link to our comments on it.. we swirled it in with the important saturn-pluto conjunction which also happens in 2020... if i find the thread with comments on it, i will share it...

meanwhile, i posted these charts in the sidereal forum for anyone interested in seeing how the charts look in sidereal zodiac.. i will comment on them tomorrow..

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10563

Here is the Saturn-Pluto conjunction of 2020 as a 'flat' chart. It occurs at 16458H on 12th Jan 2020. There are surprisingly many planets in Capricorn

I have a question: Is it now common practice to use the conjunctions of all the superior planets [i.e. not just the Jupiter-Saturn ones, but also (amongst others) Jupiter-Uranus, Neptune-Pluto ones] for mundane astrology?

Thanks for giving some explanatory background for those like me who don't know.

When I have tried to analyse outer planet conjunctions, it seemed that there wasn't just one, as these planets go retrograde and forward again so there can be up to three exact conjunctions. So which one's chart do you use?

Edward White wrote:There is only one conjunction involving Saturn and Pluto in 2020. Both planets are direct before and after the conjunction in question.
That is unusual with the conjunction of any two outer planets.

I once spent some time studying the conjunctions of IsisTranspluto with Pluto and with Neptune, and also conjunctions of Pluto and Neptune, and it was very difficult to get one precise chart.

Jupiter is so fast moving that I never took Saturn Jupiter conjunctions very seriously. Twenty years is nothing in the scale of history. Events resonate with other historical events often centuries earlier, and I definitely think most of the late twentieth and twenty first centuries resonate strongly with events around the second world war, which had a conjunction of IsisTranspluto with Pluto at the beginning of Leo. But I also strongly suspect that even that conjunction was resonating with something in the distant past, maybe something more unchanging than even the conjunctions of IsisTranspluto and Pluto.

Fleur wrote:Twenty years is nothing in the scale of history.
I do recall reading someone saying of the Sat-Jup Conjunction, that it was infrequent enough to be remarkable, but not so infrequent that it would slip out of historical memory.

20 years is a short time in terms of history, but it is just in that 'sweet spot' when it comes to events on a human level. The average time between Great Conjunctions, and the average time between generations are about the same-- two decades. Measuring history based on this level feels more grounded than the trans-generational trends other conjunctions may foretell. Besides, when you read the chart of a great conjunction, there is this wondrous feeling that you are participating in an enterprise that has been going on since the middle ages, renewed by each new generation of astrologers.

By the way, the last time a Great Conjunction occurred in Aquarius was in 1405. This website gives a rather handy list of them :
http://www.astropro.com/features/tables ... 000sa.html