Tinypic is OOC; forum procedures need updated

Just wanted to remind everyone that has used the Tinypic graphic hosting site in the past that it is now out of commission (OOC). Because of the helpful post by Tanit, I have been using https://imgbb.com

Many past inserted charts are now lost from tinypic. I think I will start including in the body of any post the chart info so it can be reconstructed by those who come later if a particular hosting service is no longer available. I encourage other members to do the same and this suggestion should be in the chart insertion instructions.

Grand Poobah of Moderators for Skyscript: or to whom it might concern You should update the instructions for uploading images (inserting charts) in light of this and include the process for using astro.com too. New members and those that have not done it in a while that need a refresher are sure to be confused and annoyed that the instructions are wrong.

Also, the Flatangle site for generating charts has been down for ages. That needs to be updated/removed too.

Thanks for your kind attention.

hi aj,

thanks for your comments and thoughtfulness... those are all good suggestions!

as for skyscript moderation - the site was started by deb houlding and she has been dealing with health issues for some time as i understand it... as a consequence, missing her leadership has led to some issues around moderation and just who is doing what...it is almost like the moderators, lacking leadership, are taking a very non involved role here... that is my impression and understanding anyway.. tanit is the one exception as the horary forum moderator!

james_m wrote:hi aj,

thanks for your comments and thoughtfulness... those are all good suggestions!

as for skyscript moderation - the site was started by deb houlding and she has been dealing with health issues for some time as i understand it... as a consequence, missing her leadership has led to some issues around moderation and just who is doing what...it is almost like the moderators, lacking leadership, are taking a very non involved role here... that is my impression and understanding anyway.. tanit is the one exception as the horary forum moderator!
Thanks for the additional background info. I am so sorry to hear that Deb Houlding is in poor health. From what she has set up here as a resource for traditional astrology and her writings it's a shame there is not a Nobel for astrology.

Therese wrote:
I was wondering if Deb is ill and can't take care of the forum anymore, I'd be happy to contribute funds to keep the forum going, as I'm sure many others would. Moderators, please keep this in mind if the forum is in danger of being closed down.
Maybe you haven't noticed Therese but Deb hasn't posted on Skyscript for many years. She did suffer some illness several years ago which led her to have to step back from active astrology. But long before that Deb wanted to pass the Skyscript site on. Paul has been operating as site Administrator for a while. However, he has faced the time restraints of work and study pressures. I dont think its really an issue of money but rather all the time demands of managing the site.

James_M wrote:
it would be good to get an update from the moderators on the fate of skyscript.. perhaps they don't know as well??
Paul is raising the issue of the future of Skyscript with Deborah Houlding. If its decided to continue the site we are likely to be reviewing the moderators and adding some new people.

Now you know as much as I do!

On Tinypic it looks like its closing down next month: :( From the website:
TinyPic is shutting down Due to an inability to support a high-quality free digital service that derives 100% of its revenue from ever declining on-site revenues, TinyPic will be permanently shutting down on September 16, 2019.
This had always been my default chart image system. So no doubt the hundreds of charts I have posted here will disappear. :-sk

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Hi AJ - I took down the old procedure in the horary forum a few weeks ago and plan to update it soon for that forum. I left a thread up in our forum for feedback on sites people prefer to use. Do the other forums have instructions for posting charts? I never noticed them before and believe horary was the only forum with instructions. As I mentioned in the thread, one thing I recommend is posting the data of the charts in the text of their thread so that in 15 years if someone reads the thread they can upload the data themselves if a chart image has disappeared.

Mark - thanks for posting on the status of Skyscript. This is the question I receive the most via PM and have been curious myself for an update. I hope Deb is doing better. It looks like she hasn't posted in 2 years.

Tanit wrote:
Mark - thanks for posting on the status of Skyscript. This is the question I receive the most via PM and have been curious myself for an update. I hope Deb is doing better. It looks like she hasn't posted in 2 years.
Deb's lack of regular activity here goes back far longer than 2 years. I find it sad as I think newer members dont appreciate just how high quality her contribution to the forum was.

Deb has an ongoing health issue which limits her astrological activity. However, I note she is running a rare one off workshop at the London School of Astrology on Saturday September 14th for its students.

Extra workshop: Cosmic Connections: Perfecting Timing in Horary,
Elections and Nativities – Deborah Houlding (+£30)

http://londonschoolofastrology.co.uk/do ... pectus.pdf

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Deb's lack of regular activity here goes back far longer than 2 years. I find it sad as I think newer members dont appreciate just how high quality her contribution to the forum was.
I joined around 2007 or so and reopened an account after a break from astrology and Deb was always very knowledgeable and also kind. I was horary moderator for a time around 2008 or so. During a bout of unemployment, she offered to take me on for her master's horary program free of charge. I could not accept but her kindness was not forgotten. I met Paul on another astrology forum and introduced him to horary and this site and am glad he has become admin, and can use both his computer technology and astrology skills to keep up the site. I would argue that along with Deb's absence, a lot of other quality contributors have left. I guess that is to be expected over the years, though.

The information on this site will be useful even if it is not updated but I do miss the new articles. I am surprised Wade Caves does not take over the site. He could combine the information from his site to this one and post new articles? He is already actively taking over Deb's teaching, correct? Just a thought.