Sounds right with the intellectual affinity.
Mercury is cold and dry - Sun is hot and dry and Mars can blow the whole thing apart with the square.
And yes the Cancerian nature will leak its own nature to the relationship, like a kin soul, familiar nature.
Litigations can arise when it comes to money and resources as Mercury rules the 2nd House and squares Mars in the 8th. No need to debate this over a trial but it will definitely be an issue here.

Cheers!
Ouranos
Blessings!

phd supervisor

Thank you Ourane!
You are so accurate on your interpretation!

Even though my question of the chart did not contain time spanning of the completion, I would like to insist on this, just for my having a sense of direction. It could alleviate my impression that all this is not just a wishful thinking (matter of 11th house), but it's going to be definitely real!

So, any other help/remark/contribution concerning the timing of this phd completion -if of course it's indicated by the chart- would be greatly appreciated...

Regards!
aelia

As I mentioned in a previous post, follow the SunL1 by transit around the signs as it will show footsteps in your development.
Key moment: When Sun enters Aries next spring to conjunct Mars (your goal) activating the Sun-Mercury-Mars square.
Blessings!