Diurnal and nocturnal rulership

Hello everybody,

I am a bit confused about how to read the dignities table.
On skyscript, it has been written:

„Apart from the Sun and Moon, each of the planets rules one sign by diurnal expression (D) and one by nocturnal expression (N). Hence Mars rules both Aries and Scorpio, but in Aries, its diurnal rulership, its energies are expressed more openly and directly; in Scorpio (its nocturnal rulership), its energies are more introverted and unconsciously driven. Diurnal simply means 'of the nature of the day'; nocturnal, 'of the nature of the night'."
(http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig2.html)

However, at the article on astro.com, the distinction between diurnal and nocturnal has not been made. There, it was claimed that, for example, Mars is in domicile when it is located in Aries – regardless of the time of the day.
(https://www.astro.com/astrowiki/en/Domicile)

I would like to ask: Is the article at astro.com wrong?

If so, is Mars, when it is, for example, located at 12 degrees in Aries, peregrine?

If Mars can be peregrine when it is located in Aries, how could the authors there forget about this important detail?

Hi,

Welcome to Skyscript (if you are here for the first time).

To answer your question, there are basically two approaches here...traditional and modern (this is simplification of course as there are many that are hybrids!). In addition, we need to sort of segregate the rulership, dignities and sect (sect = diurnal vs. nocturnal).

To make matters slightly complicated, planet, sign and chart each has its own sect. Planets: Moon, Venus and Mars are nocturnal, Sun, Jupiter and Saturn are diurnal, Mercury both. All even signs are nocturnal and all odd signs are diurnal. A night chart is nocturnal and a day chart is diurnal.

To make matters slightly more complicated, all diurnal planets are masculine and all nocturnal planets are feminine EXCEPT for Mars. Mars is the only planet that is nocturnal and yet masculine. By the way, all diurnal signs are masculine and nocturnal signs are feminine.

Let me start with the traditional approach:
In terms of rulership, traditional astrologers (Hellenistic, medieval) all agree that Mars rule both Aries and Scorpio regardless of the chart sect (daytime or night time).

In terms of essential dignities, when Mars is in Aries or Scorpio, Mars is considered to be in its own sign and hence is essentially dignified. You will say that Mars is essentially dignified regardless of the chart sect (daytime or night time).

In terms of Sect, Mars is a nocturnal planet. Hellenistic astrologers will say that Mars (being a malefic) will be less malefic in a nocturnal chart (agreement of planetary and chart sect) and expresses more of his maleficence in a diurnal chart (disagreement of planetary and chart sect).

In terms of Sect, Mars is a nocturnal planet, Aries is a diurnal sign and Scorpio a nocturnal sign. Hence, if you are asked which is better - Mars in Aries or Mars in Scorpio? A traditional astrologer will say Mars in Scorpio is better (other things being equal) because planetary and sign sect agreement (nocturnal planet in nocturnal sign) regardless of the sect of the chart (daytime or night time).

So, when you read the Skyscript's description, what it means is that Mars expresses different "energies" in Aries vs. Scorpio (because the two signs are of different sect) but Mars is still dignified in either one of them regardless of the sect of the chart (daytime or night time). Imagine the open and direct expression of a soldier (Mars in Aries) vs the hidden and indirect operation of a spy (Mars in Scorpio)! However, one would say that the soldier will be successful if this is a day chart and the spy would be successful if this is a night chart (well... other things need to be observed...).

Next, the Modern approach:
Some modern astrologers say that Mars is the ruler of Aries and Pluto is the ruler of Scorpio. Others say that Mars is the ruler of both Aries and Scorpio while Pluto also partakes in the rulership of Scorpio.

Some modern astrologers also use the concept of diurnal and nocturnal signs (but relatively fewer use the concept of planetary sect and even fewer use the concept of chart sect).

Hence, when you read the astro.com description i.e. Mars is in domicile when it is located in Aries – regardless of the time of the day may mean that Mars is ruler of Aries (day or night) and Pluto is the ruler of Scorpio (day or night). So, in modern approach Mars is dignified in Aries and may also be dignified in Scorpio (for those who accept Mars as ruler or Scorpio) OR not dignified in Scorpio (for those who accept Pluto as the exclusive ruler of Scorpio)...

Thank you very much for your explanation.

Now, it got more clear to me how to read an astrological chart. But for me, there´s still a lot to learn. And i also understand that for some issues, a precise and distinct solution has not yet been found.

Currently, I feel drawn a lot to the Western Medieval Astrological Approach. I like to browse around and, to me, skyscript is a great source of information. So, please carry on.

Thanks Fatedwayfarer,

Of course, you can drop your queries here... and many here will contribute (including myself when I am free and "not in the blues".. he..he

Western Medieval approach... interesting

It's good to know what one's inclination is when discussion happens...I myself is more inclined toward Medieval approach with Hellenistic bendings and a little of modern approach. Why medieval? Because if you were to read the medieval astrological texts (this of course includes the English astrologers), they have some sort of structure when reading natal or horary chart. However, sometimes I find the Hellenistic very appealing especially in finding the rationale for certain concepts and of course, modern approach for some of the applications.

Anyway good luck in your study may Fate brings you to your destiny in your wayfare...

astrojin wrote:
Let me start with the traditional approach:
In terms of rulership, traditional astrologers (Hellenistic, medieval) all agree that Mars rule both Aries and Scorpio regardless of the chart sect (daytime or night time).

In terms of essential dignities, when Mars is in Aries or Scorpio, Mars is considered to be in its own sign and hence is essentially dignified. You will say that Mars is essentially dignified regardless of the chart sect (daytime or night time).

In terms of Sect, Mars is a nocturnal planet. Hellenistic astrologers will say that Mars (being a malefic) will be less malefic in a nocturnal chart (agreement of planetary and chart sect) and expresses more of his maleficence in a diurnal chart (disagreement of planetary and chart sect).

In terms of Sect, Mars is a nocturnal planet, Aries is a diurnal sign and Scorpio a nocturnal sign. Hence, if you are asked which is better - Mars in Aries or Mars in Scorpio? A traditional astrologer will say Mars in Scorpio is better (other things being equal) because planetary and sign sect agreement (nocturnal planet in nocturnal sign) regardless of the sect of the chart (daytime or night time).

So, when you read the Skyscript's description, what it means is that Mars expresses different "energies" in Aries vs. Scorpio (because the two signs are of different sect) but Mars is still dignified in either one of them regardless of the sect of the chart (daytime or night time). Imagine the open and direct expression of a soldier (Mars in Aries) vs the hidden and indirect operation of a spy (Mars in Scorpio)! However, one would say that the soldier will be successful if this is a day chart and the spy would be successful if this is a night chart (well... other things need to be observed...).
Astrojin,
An interesting thread. I was thinking in particular if it's correct to refer Mars in Aries to soldier and Mars in Scorpio to spy.
I think Mars in Scorpio is more hinting on navy, as well as in Pieces or Cancer, because of water quality. Depending also who considering Mars as triplicity ruler of watery sign both nocturnal and diurnal and some that Venus in diurnal.
Being spy is something also relating to 12th house, but Mars in 12th considered place of shame, so that's probably appropriate location for criminal, felony. While Mars in 6th in place of joy, and maybe good for police, criminal investigators, also for doctors. So, spy is more complicated matter...
Also I've seen Mars in Libra in police officer's charts, in detriment but perfectly describing purpose to suppress violence...
Also, I think Mars is good and less harmful being above horizon in nocturnal chart and below horizon in diurnal. But is that more effective location for Mars? It said Mars in 10th harmful unless its military career, but is more effective in nocturnal chart in 10th?

Hi Yuriy,

Long time no talk.. hehe
An interesting thread. I was thinking in particular if it's correct to refer Mars in Aries to soldier and Mars in Scorpio to spy.
Yes.. I just wrote what came to my mind without much deliberation. I was thinking of the "modern" connotation of Scorpio being the "secretive" sign and hence, the "spy" thing...I remember when I did a chart many many years ago when I was still a "modern' astrologer and knew nothing much about essential and accidental dignities, let alone medieval & Hellenistic approaches except for a few things here & there, this person's natal chart has Mars as ruler of tenth (or in the tenth - can't remember) and in Scorpio... and I said your line of work is dedicated to the public but you walk under the shadows like a "spy". Then he told me, that he is the private liaison of a political figure in my country that is assigned to do undercover work in the opposite party or something of the kind. I guess that got stick to my mind!
I think Mars in Scorpio is more hinting on navy, as well as in Pieces or Cancer, because of water quality.
I agree! I would definitely put those professions into my list if Mars is a profession significator (now that I am using more of the traditional/medieval/Hellenistic approach).
Being spy is something also relating to 12th house, but Mars in 12th considered place of shame, so that's probably appropriate location for criminal, felony. While Mars in 6th in place of joy, and maybe good for police, criminal investigators, also for doctors. So, spy is more complicated matter...
Yes. I also agree that 12th (even though named as the secret place), it is more related to the house for criminals, felonies, etc. A profession significator related to the 12th may indicate the quality of the profession and not so much of the type of profession because whatever we do (at least in medieval/Hellenistic approach), we determine the profession significator first where the type is determined by the planet of profession, the sign it is in, its essential dignities and aspects with other planets.
You are also right that a spy is more complicated matter...
Also I've seen Mars in Libra in police officer's charts, in detriment but perfectly describing purpose to suppress violence...
That is interesting! Mars as profession significator - soldier, police, army - anyone whose profession is to bear arms. In Libra, a police who maintains balance (the Scale) in the society so that society is in harmony (Venus as domicile ruler of Libra) and acting (supposedly) under the rule of law (Saturn as Exalted ruler of Libra).
Also, I think Mars is good and less harmful being above horizon in nocturnal chart and below horizon in diurnal. But is that more effective location for Mars? It said Mars in 10th harmful unless its military career, but is more effective in nocturnal chart in 10th?
My current practice (in terms of sect) is the simplified Hellenistic approach by looking at the chart sect and planetary sect and NOT into the rejoicing conditions of planet being in the same/opposite hemisphere of the sun - in determining the quality of the beneficence of the benefics and maleficence of the malefics. I use the rejoicing conditions as an additional description of what the planet is.

So, assume that we have a planet (say Venus) as significator of the relationship and it is square Mars in a day chart. Chart sect: diurnal/day. Planet (Mars) sect:nocturnal. Hence, Mars is going to be really malefic (regardless of whether Mars is above or below the horizon). This means that there is a high degree of possibility for separation (when Mars is activated). However, if this is a night chart there could be "stress and fights" over a relationship but not necessarily a separation OR it could be start of a difficult relationship...

On the contrary if Mars itself is a significator of profession, it would be good if Mars is located in the opposite hemisphere of the sun (above horizon in nocturnal chart or below horizon in diurnal chart) - just like what you said above.

Astrojin,
Thank you, even more interesting thread...
Yeah, my Mars in 10th in diurnal chart, and I'm not military.
Well, elevated Mars though ruling my 2nd and later years ruled by Mars since Sun in earthy sign, so hopefully some career and money looming... :D