Chart- Launch of Discovery

I hope this is not an inproper subject!

I used the data published in Swedish newspapers; July 26, 10.39 am at Cape Canaveral, Florida, USA.

Using Reg. I get Asc Virgo 24.18. Mercury Rx in Leo. Strong Mars in Eight house soon to square Saturn in Eleventh. And Pluto (or maybe Pluto is of no concerne?) on the IC. Does?nt look good, does it?

But Moon applies to Mercury by trine. One do wish to find a positive outcome here! As Jupiter, ruler of the Fourth house is in the First with a separating opposition to the Moon

But by the time they will re-enter to earth Mercury will not only be Rx but also combust.

Anyone who has any thoughts in the matter?

Best Regards/Anna

Hi Anna,

You could be right about this. There is already a problem, a very similar one that occurred at the launch of Columbia. I haven't had time to look too closely at this but I had a very quick look at the charts for both Challenger and Columbia as well as the most recent launch chart. You mentioned that Pluto was on the IC. In the Columbia accident, Mars/South Node were on the MC as well as Uranus on the ascendant. In the Challenger accident, Pluto/South Node were on the Decendant.

I will give all the chart details in case someone wants to have a look.

Columbia

Launch: January 16th, 2003. Cape Canavarel. 10:39am EST

Accident: February 1st, 2003. Somewhere over Texas (I just chose Austin but it doesn't change the chart much). 9:05am EST

Challenger

Launch & Accident(within 80 secs): 28th Jan, 1986. 11:30am EST. Cape Canavarel.

I guess if we wanted to look into it properly, we could use Lilly's parts of the ship as a guide for the shuttle, e.g. the sign ascending and the Moon as being significators of the shuttle, etc. I think the tiles came off at a point near the fuel tank as it did in the Columbia accident but knowing even less about space ships than I do about ocean ships, I don't know where that might be. :?

Launch - prohibition and translation

I've used Lilly, Vol II, Chapter XXVI - 'Of a Ship, and Whatever are in Her, Her Safety or Destruction', as a guide to looking at this chart. I appreciate that the chart isn't a horary, but I figure as horary is the starting point to the higher levels, that the same rules apply to an event chart.

Ok, Rx Mercury is ruler of the Asc showing the ship is ?debilitated? or damaged. Jupiter is in the 1st (the Ship), but is close conjunction to the South Node. So the presence of the South Node in the 1st isn't good and Jupiter's benificence gets sucked into the black hole of the South Node.

Rx Mercury will back up away from the cusp of the 12th and head back towards combustion with the sun (ruler of 12th ? the sun disposes Mercury, but there is no mutual recption) - I believe burning up on re-entry is of slight concern to the crew?! Mercury will back up to 8oLeo before he stations direct ? so he won?t completely fry, but may get a little crisp before turning direct. Mercury will also cross paths with the Moon at 14o as he reverses and then Jupiter by sextile. Once he turns direct he meets Jupiter again and then finally encounters Mars by trine. Now Jupiter rules the 4th (end of the matter/death) and Mars is in, and rules, the 8th (death) ? So is it correct so far to say that the Moon prohibits Mercury (the ship) making a rendezvou with Jupiter (death) and Mars (death)?

Next looking at the Moon and translation of light. The last aspect the Moon made was just prior to the Launch when it opposed Jupiter (ruler of the 4th ? ick and the 7th), immediately following the launch it conjuncted the NN (being a point it can?t receive translation) and will move on to meet Mercury, as mentioned above. So the Moon translates the benefic qualities of Jupiter to Mercury ? or does the fact that Jupiter rules the 4th put the kybosh on it? (there?s no mutual reception between Jupiter and Mercury) ? now with respect to post launch ? The Moon trines Mercury and then finally conjunction Mars just before changing signs ? so is there any significance in this translation of light? I?m assuming that if the Moon first aspected Mars and then Mercury, the answer would be yes, and rather nasty? Also need to note that the Moon is conjunct the NN, so gains from the NN, it is however waning as it approaches last quarter in the cycle ? the moon when waning is malefic???

Lilly also says to look to see if any planets tenant the angles, so excuse me for using the ?P? word, but Pluto does conjunct the 4th rather tightly.

Ok, so I have all this information but no judgement! If this were a horary, which I accept, it isn?t, Lilly says that ?if you find the Lord of the Asc ? in configuration with the Lord of the 8th, 12th, 4th or 6th ? you may judge the ship is lost, and the men drowned (unless you find reception betwixt themselves) ??

With a gun to my head, reading simply what the planets are doing, then the moon saves the day by prohibiting the perfection of the aspects with Jupiter and Mars ? with the ship getting a little crisp, the crew maybe needing a change of underwear, and the captain having to explain to dad that the cars a write-off, to which dad has to confess that it was actually his fault?

But I?m still stumped as to how to read the translation from Mercury to Mars!

Any ideas?

Ann
Ann

Hi and many, many thanks for your replies!

The question is, I think, if it?s correct to treat the Chart of the Launch as a Horary or to predict the outcome of the reentrance by it. Maybe one have to look at a specific Chart for the reentrance to predict the outcome? But that is, I suppose, something we only can do when that event already has taken place.

As I said, I?m very uncertain here.

Treating it like a Horary I could?nt agree more to your interpretions! Very interesting and a good lesson in astrology.

Really hoping that "the moon will save the day"!

By the way, I had a look at the Chart of the Challenger that Sue was so kind to post, but I can?t make anything out of it really. Saturn in the 8th rules the MC and it appears to be a lot of separating aspects.