Thanks Pete. I sometimes miss the news for days. My husband was shocked when he commented on the earthquake and I didn't know what he was talking about. Another dreadful and tragic natural disaster. Has anyone looked into the lunar standstill 'supermoon' cycle and these kinds of events?

Mars setting on the descendant; the Moon separating from the square of Uranus and the trine of Saturn and applying to the Sun-Neptune midpoint. I'll try to post the chart shortly.

I looked on the BBC news site for details of the epicentre. They confirmed the time you gave and stated Muzaffarabad was at the centre of the quake.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4327116.stm

Mars setting on the descendant; the Moon separating from the square of Uranus and the trine of Saturn and applying to the Sun-Neptune midpoint. I'll try to post the chart shortly.
Hi Deb,
I was wondering if you were still going to post the chart? Deeply interested, I grew up in Pakistan.
Thank you.

note that Saturn is conj the south Asellus (8 Leo 35) within one degree and Sun ruler of the MC is conj the south node with less than one degree. 4th house cusp is at 27 AQU 45 wich is EXACTLY cunj fixed star Gieneh, sudden downfall (can also be sudden glory, but I think we can see this as the opposite. And with Uranus, sudden change inthe fourth as well, I think that is re-enforced. And ruler of the fourth debilitated in the 9th conj another unfortunate star. Sun trine Neptune... Is there some unfortunate star or degree or? at 14 of Aquarius? I ask because when the Epidemic struck in 1918 this was where Venus was sitting, it just seems to be a degree that keeps popping up? or is it because the Nodes are at about 14 degrees right now and contact with that degree magnifies whatever else is happening?

thanks, Granny

I think its fine to look at individual charts like this and gain a whole heap of information. However, what we really need to do in mundane astrology is find patterns. Mundane astrology is about cycles and the theory that these cycles repeat at regular intervals. This doesn't mean finding a correlation between a couple of charts where Mars is in the same degree, for example but rather overall cycles. The Jupiter/Saturn cycle is a good one, and something the astrologers of the Middle Ages took particular notice of. Deb mentioned the Moon cycles, which is a good place to start. Richard Nolle has some fascinating information on this area of mundane astrology at: www.astropro.com

We have talked on a couple of other threads recently about via combusta. I checked quickly with the charts I have in my files (37 earthquakes causing substantial deaths) and only one had the Moon in the generally accepted degrees of via combusta. Thirty seven charts isn't enough to do a serious search. We need hundreds really. But there must be a pattern somewhere in all of this. Things like this are never random. They must be able to be predicted using sound astrological principles. The weather forecasts we see today were once the sole responsibility of the astrologer and one of the forms of astrology that the Church felt comfortable with.

Note that the Via combusts here is 12th house, how about do any of 37 have via combusta as either the 12 , 8 or 6th house? (maybe even 4th as its under the earth) and also with Via combusta it is moon or sun, and Sun is on the cusp of Via combusta with Moon about to Sextile and Trine Neptune. though I still wonder if it might be a south node connection. Also for the Epidemic Venus was where Neptune is now and Saturn was exactly where it is now, so I wonder if there is some connection with 14/15 degrees of Aquarius? and Saturn at 8/9 Leo?

Burnadette Brady noted Hydra on the ecliptic for hurricanes in her last newsletter. something to look at. For several natural disasters I keep finding saturn close to the south Asselus. though on another list it was suggested that the Grand conj of Jupiter and Saturn of 1345 over Paris had the portents of the plague within its chart. Apparently the King Asked, I'll see if I can repost shortly.

her newsletter is quite interesting.

Granny

Mars retrograde, on the descendant...
Can this indicate the recurrence of destruction at the time that Mars hits the angle?
I understand that there was a strong aftershock in Islamabad yesterday.

Aftershocks can happen for a long time after a quake, but mars wont be re-hitting that degree for a couple months yet, its going Rx until end ofNovember I think?

I know its going to hit my natal Venus twice more, once around the 15th of November and once around the end of December, so it will hit that degree again probably around late January.

Granny

eric francis has done a fair bit of quake and other disaster chart analysis, you can read it here
http://cainer.com/ericfrancis/eric.html

the aries point and aspects to it seems very pertinent, active in the tsunami, katrina and 9-11 charts.

btw why in the uk at least has all coverage of the south american disaster been dropped? (was it a hurricane? tv coverage here was so fleeting I can only recall people digging out victims with their bare hands and wading thru waist-high water... )
The importance and unimportance of the self cannot be exaggerated - Reginald Blyth

Hurricane Stan caused a landslide in Guatamala that killed aobut a hundred people, coverage was so fleeting probably because it is a remote area, and there isn't much more to tell, after looking for a few days the Government declared the area a grave yard and people walked away. Then another Hurricane showed up in the Caribaen and the US and took the spotlight, that was Rita and then the quake and now Wilma is looming, its been a busy few months. (I think I have the hurricanes in order? sheesh its been crazy hasn't it?)

Granny