Deb's INterview

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum. I returned from a week-long business trip last night, and I'm only getting through my correspondences now. If no one else has mentioned it, Deb was interviewed at length by Gary Philipson in the Current (Feb/Mar 2006) issue of The Mountain Astrologer Magazine.

Of all the subjects that interest me throughout my life, and all the people who write, and are writen about, I've only come across three outstanding interviewers, and Gary Phillipson is one of them.* Gary has the all too rare gift of presenting thought-provoking questions and the even rarer intelligence to get out of the way and allow the interviewee to answer. It is far more common for interviewers to adopt the mistaken position that the interview is about them. Gary doesn't come close to this attitude, and the reader is the prime beneficiary of this enlightenment.

Deb's replies are in depth, at times personal, always warm,and they cast astrology in a positive light not too often seen, but certainly accurate and welcome. I wont' say any more, you'll have to read it for yourselves.

Even if you are not a TMA fan (I'm not), open your wallets and get this issue. You won't be disappointed. Thank you Deb and Gary for this wonderful contribution.

Tom

*This is a non-astrological FYI because I hate people who say what I said and then leave the reader hanging. If you're not interested in my other two favorite interviewers, and I don't blame you if you're not, skip what follows. THe other two interviewers that seriously impress me are:

Bob Grant - Grant is a nasty, at times mean, rude, arrogant NYC area talk political show host. His show, if it is still on the air, can best be described as shrill. However, Grant, when he was on top of talk radio (the years before others went national) would attract quality guests, and I would wonder why. The reason is Grant is an interviewer that gets the most out of his guests and does not get in their way even if their political beliefs are opposite of his. He didn't invite guests to his show to debate, but rather to illuminate. Listening to him interview was like listening to a different show. Anyone on the political left or right could and would learn from his subjects

Roy Firestone - Firestone is a sports journalist, andI haven't seen him in a long time. Sports interviews are probably the most difficult because everything an athlete does is right out in the storefront window where everyone can see it. The fans know the sport, and usually know the accomplishments of the athlete as well or better than the athlete does. This is why, after every big game, the best most journalists can do is ask, "How did you feel when you ...." And the usual response is "great." "And why is that?" "Because we won!"

Firestone, with only a few well chosen words, would get any subject to explain, usually in fascinating detail, the inner workings of a world class athletic contest, and the mindset of the various players and coaches. When the talk went personal, he never asked for embarassing intimate details of the subject's life, but rather he managed to get out the kinds of things that motivates different people to work so hard to excel at sport. The answers were surprsing, and not all that relevant to money.

Thanks for the feedback Tom. Garry is a most definitely a great interviewer - he has ways of making you talk ! But I am reminded of that every time I prepare one of his interviews for the site. I always find these insights into astrologer?s thoughts and experiences really interesting.