Mutual reception

Question about mutual reception. If Moon in Aries (peregrine, but modestly dignified by aspecting planets of being in their face and term, also angular) and Sun in Taurus(similar situations). Are they getting more strength together (more dignity) because of mutual reception(exalting :exalting)?

It's not clear to me what you're asking about. Are you asking about the strength of a mutual reception? or the strength of a reception in another way, e.g. by term or face? Aries Moon and Taurus Sun are not in mutual reception, at least not in the usual sense of planets being in each others' rulership signs; that would require Leo Moon and Cancer Sun.

As for the interpretation of a (rulership) mutual reception, my experience suggests it is worth treating as a distinct aspect, having some of the features of a quincunx, i.e. neither unalloyed "benefic" nor unalloyed "malefic", but varying between the two. As usual, the interpretation is subject to consideration exactly which two planets are involved, and their strength by aspect and sign, etc.

Thank you for reply. There are ?mixed? mutual receptions, like ?own sign:exaltation?,?exaltation:own triplicity?, etc. It says about that in J.Frawley's "The Real Astrology"(p.166). But what
about "exaltation:exaltation?, ?term:term??
Or, other sample. Venus in Aries, Sun in Taurus. Venus itself debilitated in Aries. But Venus in own sign in Taurus, Sun culminate in Aries. Do they work and stronger in ?mixed mutual reception? - Venus:Sun - exaltation:own sign?
Just asking if somebody practice that.

Mutual reception simply means that two planets are in reception to each other. It can be by rulership/rulership, exaltation/triplicity or rulership/exaltation, for example. It does not have to be at the same level of reception.

Mutual reception at the level of rulership, exaltation and triplicity is considered more powerful than those terms and face. If two planets are in reception by rulership they are equally interested in each other. This is probably the most powerful of reception conditions. John Frawley sees exaltation as a weak position to be in because he sees that the planet exalting the other is putting them on a pedestal and is not seeing the other clearly. I do not agree with this and cannot find any evidence in the traditional literature to support this view. I think exaltation is a reception of strength. Bonatti, among others believes that at the level of terms or face, there needs to be at least two lots of mutual reception to be of any great value. That is, there needs to be, for example, reception by terms/terms and face/face or terms/face and face/ terms, or any such combination. Reception at the level of terms or face just on its own is not enough to be of benefit.

I think you will find many of your questions answered in this excellent article.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/reception.html

I would not see reception in terms of a quincunx. A quincunx in horary is an aspect best avoided. If the two significators are in quincunx to each other then they are turned away from each other so that they do not see the other person. There is no contact, certainly not a condition you would want to see in a relationship question.

Hi Sue,
This is probably the most powerful of reception conditions. John Frawley sees exaltation as a weak position to be in because he sees that the planet exalting the other is putting them on a pedestal and is not seeing the other clearly.
I used to think that is what he meant, too. When he was in New Jersey a few years back I even said something to him along those lines and he looked at me like a had grown a third eye on the spot. "You don't think exaltation is strong?" Well I figured I needed to rethink this position.

Let's take a quote:

"A planet exalts the planet in whose exaltaion it falls. This is powerful, but never quite real. It does not see it clearly. Charts cast in the early stages of relationships usually show receptions by exaltation: the aura of divinity has not yet been pierced by the knowledge of his unsavory personal habits. "
The Real Astrology Applied -- page 6

Now this next does not apply to Sue, but if you don't know John and/or have no sense of humor, the above will be a bit mystifying. The phrase "aura of divinity" does not literally refer to God or even being god-like. It is hyperbole.

What this passage refers to is a relationship horary, and let's face it, in the early stages of relationship we are ga-ga over each other and there are no faults to be seen. But we all need to recall the sage words of the radio shrink: "All the little things that you find endearing now are the things that will drive you nuts later on." In other words it doesn't last. The love can last, but the largely hormonal response designed to continue the race eventually fades, and if there is something strong there, the happy couple grows closer.

When writing about certain nativities John associates exaltation with Royalty, and in popular elections with Prime Ministers and Presidents -- winners of sports events, too. So I don't think it is fair to say he thinks exaltation is weak or even mediocre. Hormones are powerful. It is fair to say he thinks exaltation isn't quite real in relationship charts, and of course you are free to agree or disagree with that.

All the best,

Tom

I don't think John Frawley sees exaltation as necessarily weak in itself. He might see it as a powerful force but a rather unrealistic one. And in a sense, that is a weakness. In his article on Endenic astrology he refers to exaltation as an undesirable state.
A planet exalts the planet in whose exaltaion it falls.
And this is where we also disagree but we have had this discussion several times before so I guess you know that already. :)

I don't think John Frawley sees exaltation as necessarily weak in itself. He might see it as a powerful force but a rather unrealistic one. And in a sense, that is a weakness

I think that captures it well.
In his article on Endenic astrology he refers to exaltation as an undesirable state.
I have a llink to that, but just realized that, inexplicably, I haven't read it. I have to do that. Still I find this hard to square with other things that he associated with exaltation, but I ought to read the article first.

A planet exalts the planet in whose exaltaion it falls.

And this is where we also disagree but we have had this discussion several times before so I guess you know that already.
I knew that would draw a comment, and yes, we've been there, done that, and both have the T-shirt. :wink:

Best

Tom