Astrology and Communication

I am a beginner in astrology and was hoping to hear the group's thoughts on a subject that has intrigued me for a long time. I have noticed that people have a different ability to communicate based on the mode of communication. For example, someone might be able to write their thoughts very clearly and elegantly in an email but when they try to communicate the same ideas verbally it comes out muddled. Or, one might be able to communicate ideas to group in a presentation very well but have difficulty explaining the same thing to another person individually. In my case (Mercury in Pisces -- can't get any more debilitated than that :( ), I often do much better speaking to a group than to another person directly.

So, given the crude categorization that follows, how would you assign them rulerships (sign, planet, and house)?
1. Talking on the telephone.
2. Talking to another person individually.
3. Public speaking.
4. Writing to another person (email, a letter).
5. Writing a professional document (business document, novel, etc. -- assuming they are the same).

How would you assign them rulership from these different points of view?
1. One's capacity to communicate well in one of these modes as indicated by the natal chart.
2. Determining the outcome of a given communication as shown in a horary figure; for example, "Will my speech go well?"
3. Electing the best time for a given communication; for example, "When is the best time to call my estranged friend on the telephone?"

Any ideas or comments would be welcome. Thanks.

Hi Aaron,

My two cents, which may only be what they're worth:

Mercury rules communication - all forms of comunication. This is why Mercury rules computers. Computers are calculation and communication devices. Therefore in your examples the primary ruler would be Mercury and, when appropriate, the third house.

1. Talking on the telephone.

Mercury

2. Talking to another person individually.

Mercury: same as above except for the intervention of an electronic device also ruled by Mercury.

3. Public speaking.

Mercury. I think it was Cardan who said Mercury in Aries is the sign of an orator.

4. Writing to another person (email, a letter).

Mercury.

5. Writing a professional document (business document, novel, etc. -- assuming they are the same).

Mercury governs the communication but in this case the publication of a novel or other work Jupiter and/or the 9th would enter into the equation.

Mercury is qualifed by the sign it occupies and any aspects it makes and any receptions that might be involved. This will give us clues as to the type of communication the native might be best at or whether or not communication will be a strength.

There may be other opinions on this, but it's a start.

Tom

You might also read Linda Reids discussion on pormethian and Epimethian (sp?) Mercury in the birthchart and how it affects a person communication. it is in her book and on her teaching cds. Very interesting topic. I'm afraid its a bit long to include here.

Granny.