Rulerships vis-a-vis houses

I don't know if a thread already exists on this subject, but I'm trying to trace the rationale behind the connection between a sign on the cusp of a house and its associated planet. To make a long question as short as possible, it seems to be considered a "muddle" that "modern" astrology conflates planet/sign/house rulerships; I'm wondering why, if Ptolemy discusses in Tetrabiblos (sec. 17) that the planets have "familiarity" with the houses, it can be so contentious to use what have come to be called 'natural' house rulerships? One group of people takes for granted that the conflation is acceptable; another group says there is no precedent for this conflation, yet it does seem as though Ptolemy, for one, is not terribly clear on this matter and leaves room for interpretation?
http://beyondthestarsastrology.com/

beyond the stars wrote:Thank you very much, Michael; I am going to read through that thread now.

And thank you both for responding. I appreciate it.
You're welcome. If you have any questions or thoughts on the topic, feel free to extend that thread, please.

Yes, I do, as a matter of fact.

Here's the question: does that thread address where the idea of 'natural' rulerships come from? I'm reading through the thread, but it's gotten a bit long and I just thought I'd ask first before devoting hours to it. The idea of what is or isn't considered 'natural' is of interest to me; where do we get that idea from? There are many new sources that have been translated that others are more aware of than I am, and I'm wondering if this is ground that has already been covered here. I would imagine it has.

Thanks everyone!
http://beyondthestarsastrology.com/

I'm trying to trace the rationale behind the connection between a sign on the cusp of a house and its associated planet.
Could you clarify your question? In Tetrabiblos I.17 Ptolemy discusses rulership of the planets over the signs of the zodiac (why Sun is assigned to Leo, Moon to Cancer, etc). Is it this logic that you want to understand? Or are you looking for a source that suggests something like Venus is the natural ruler of the 2nd house (regardless of whatever sign is on the 2nd house cusp)? The latter is not something you'll find expressed in traditional works.