Astrologer qualifications

Anyone can learn the color wheel, few could be artists.

Whenever I talk about astrology, in the real world, I'm constantly hearing "Oh, I know all about that stuff." It makes me laugh..I've been studying for a few years now and feel as though I am just really beginning to grasp stuff. I am also realizing more and more that I really know nothing!! I'm beginning to feel frustrated with my advancement and would like to pose a question to those of you who are real astrologer's.

What do you feel someone really needs in order to be adept at astrology?

Please spare the "study hard" stuff, I already really know that:) I would really appreciate the insight.

I?d find it hard enough to determine what constitutes a ?real astrologer?; let alone what one needs to become one.
Yes, we all know about the hard work and study, but who can put hard work and study into a subject unless they enjoy it and find something compulsive about it? The 4th aphorism of Ptolemy?s Centiloquium reads:

?A natural inclination to any knowledge; attains more perfection therein, than one that shall rake hard pains by learning to obtain it.?

So I don?t think it?s so much about ?working hard? as being self-indulgent ? finding the aspect (or branch/style) of astrology that inspires you the most and plotting your route through that. Forget what anyone else makes you think you should be doing.

What do you feel someone really needs in order to be adept at astrology?
A poetic sense and imagination. Technique is only a beginning.

Read fiction, watch films ? watch what goes on around you. If you are receptive to the narration of a tale you are also receptive to the narration of a chart.

The colors of music and painting are in the chart. Learn to see them.

Thank you for your replies Deb and Kirk. Especially since I always read your posts with admiration.

Kirk- this sensitivity, to the narration of a story is what I believe hooked me. You expressed what a chart is really well.

I think a major flaw I am makng is not focussing on one branch or area. I want to know them all! It's muddling up my head and shaking the foundation...making me feel like there is so much it's unattainable.

I can't stress enough how important it is to have a body of "research" charts. You must "follow" the transits of many people to see how the energy actually works. You need to have people who are willing to give YOU as much info as you give them.

You must read and "apply" books like " Saturn -A New Look At An Old Devil" by Liz Greene.
You need to read and Understand books on the connection between astrology and psychology. But you can only do this is you have charts to use... charts of people who you are very familiar with and of whom you can ask lots of questions.

And you need to TEACH what you know to someone else. When you TEACH you learn.... you especially learn what your weak areas are, because those are the areas you won't be able to explain to your student. So if you are very good at basics, you should teach someone (someone who is interested) the basics of astrology.
Lainie
Lainie