Hi Yuriy,

I?ve been spending some time with Jean Baptiste Morin deVillefranche and I?m going to try to answer your question regarding success using his techniques or at least as I?m going to try to answer with my understanding of his techniques. In the Announcement I said we shouldn?t be afraid to make mistakes, so I guess I should be the first to take a bit of a chance here.

However, Morin?s techniques require a bit of background, as they aren?t necessarily the same as everyone else?s. I?m going to give the ones that pertain to these questions without quotes, as this will probably be long enough without adding footnotes.

Triplicities:

Morin developed his own set of triplicities based on the major dignities as opposed to sect. The logic runs this way: The day ruler is the planet that has two major dignities in a set of elements. The night ruler is the planet that rules the cardinal sign in that set of elements. The participating ruler is the domicile ruler of the remaining sign.

Fire Triplicity: The Sun is the day ruler as he rules two signs, Leo by domicile and Aries by exaltation. Mars is the night ruler as he rules the cardinal fire sign Aries. Jupiter is the participating ruler as he rules the remaining fire sign, Sagittarius.

Earth Triplicity: Mercury is the domicile and exaltation ruler of Virgo, so he is the day ruler. Saturn rules cardinal earth sign Capricorn, so he is the night ruler. Venus rules Taurus the remaining sign, and therefore is the participating ruler.

Air Triplicity: Saturn is the day ruler as he rules Aquarius by domicile and Libra by exaltation. Venus is the night ruler as she rules cardinal air sign Libra. Mercury is the ruler of Gemini and is the participating ruler

Water Triplicity: Jupiter is the day ruler as he rules Pisces by domicile and Cancer by exaltation. The Moon is the night ruler as she rules the cardinal sign Cancer. Mars is the participating ruler as he rules Scorpio, the remaining sign.

A couple of Morin?s ?aphorisms:

A planet posited in a house has more influence over the affairs of that house than the ruler does if the ruler is placed in another house.

The influence of the planet is due to its nature and it s celestial state (i.e. how strong it is), and whether or not the planet has an analogy to the house in which it is posited. Jupiter for example is associated with wealth and therefore has an analogy with the second house. Saturn is associated with enemies and therefore has an analogy with the 7th house etc.

The dispositors of a planet along with the aspects tell us the effects of the planet on a house for good or ill.

A planet posited in a house also influences the opposite house. This is not true of the ruler of a house posited in a different house than the one he rules.

Claudia Schiffer
Aug 25, 1970
12:10 pm CET ?1hr
Rheinberg, Germany
51 N 33 006 E 35
Placudus cusps

Ruler of the first, Mars posited on the MC. A strong indication of public honor, but we must look deeper. How great will those honors be? That depends on the condition of Mars and anything posited in the 10th house. The Sun is associated with honors and he, too is posited in the 10th house as is the part of fortune, and the south node. Morin didn?t use the terms and faces (he called them ?Arab fantasies?), so in his view the Sun is peregrine, however the Sun is in a tight sextile to Jupiter, the greater benefic, so that helps even if Jupiter is in 12. Jupiter is also disposited by Mars, Lord ASC, and Jupiter is also the participating triplicity ruler of fire and Leo is on the MC.

Mars is the night ruler of fire in this scheme, and I?ve never been persuaded that there is an on/off switch with the triplicity rulers that changes position when the Sun goes down (or comes up), so Mars has some dignity here, too, but not classically so (although I understand Bonatti might agree with me). The Sun (honors) also disposits Mars (Lord ASC). I think it is fair to say we have some decent testimony for fame or public honors in this chart, although the fame is international, it is not the kind that will be long lasting as say, Churchill?s lasting influence.

Looking at her 7th house we see Saturn in Taurus in the 7th. Saturn is strong here as Saturn has an analogy with some of the meanings of the 7th, in this case, enemies. Saturn also can deny marriage unless he is in great dignity. So who are her enemies? Well, Saturn rules the 3rd house of communication and the Moon, exaltation ruler of Saturn and the 7th rules the 9th. Gossip and journalists are her enemies. This played out in the criticism that she and David Copperfield were together to enhance her or his career(s).

As noted above, Morin says that since Saturn is posited in 7 he also has influence over the first house. I can?t picture what Ms Schiffler looks like, but I do note that Saturn is in a Venus sign and Venus is highly dignified in her domicile, Libra, and of course she is in the mixed mutual reception with Saturn, hence her good looks.

Saturn is also descriptive of her partner, David Copperfield. Now Copperfield, on stage has that dark beady-eyed appearance cultivated for the performance. A co-worker of mine went to high school with him and he showed me a yearbook photo many years ago. He was, dark haired at age 18, but those eyes are at least partly accounted for by make up and learned countenance. He is a bit Saturnine in appearance though, and I?m not sure, but I don?t think they ever married.

What this tells us is that there are no hard and fast rules regarding fame or success, but rather we have to look at the relevant planets, their dispositors, aspects, and placements to get us on the right track. Although I didn?t mention them the fixed stars play a role in this as well and so do directions, progressions, solar returns, etc. In short, it takes a lot of work to make these determinations and we can?t do it with formulas or base it on planetary strength alone.

All comments on this are welcome and in fact encouraged even if it is to tell me I?m full of donkey dust.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for that great discussion of the almuten. I'm curious, what method do you use to detrmine the almuten in case of a tie? Is it true that there for any degree there can only be a single almuten?

I found these unconditional almutens:
1. In the term of Jupiter in Cancer Jupiter is the almuten.
2. In the term of Saturn in Libra - Saturn.
3. In the term of Mars in Capricorn - Mars.
4. In the term of Venus in Pisces - Venus.
5. In the term of Mars in Pisces - Mars!

...and these conditional or dependent on by day or by night:
6. Sun is the almuten of Aries by day.
7. Jupiter is the almuten of 20? Leo by night.
8. Saturn is the almuten of Libra by day.
9. Mercury the almuten of 11-12? Aquarius by night.

I find it very strangely 5 (the term of Mars in Pisces), as I wrote above.

Hi Tom. I was out for some time so, just now I'm trying little bit to understand
of what you post says.
I like idea of Mercury rules of day earth triplicity, and at the same time I?m upset because of: ?Morin didn?t use the terms and faces (he called them ?Arab fantasies?)?.
Like in my case, Mercury in Taurus 26, combusted, retrograde, in 8th, conjuncts Algol, on t-squares to both malefics?can?t be worsen. But it?s in Saturn?s term and face, so, getting strength from Saturn in Aquarius (also strong Venus rules Taurus). Otherwise, how I would have higher education and use second language professionally?
Now, according to Morin, Mercury just in own triplicity. That?s adding some ?points? to it?s dignity, but square to Saturn starts acting badly, because no receptions with it.
Another question. Does planet in house have stronger influence over house than it?s almuten if it?s in the next sign, other than houses cusp?
Last edited by Yuriy on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like in my case, Mercury in Taurus 26, combusted, retrograde, in 8th, conjuncts Algol, on t-squares to both malefics?can?t be worsen
Hi Yuriy,

I hope Mercury doesn't rule your first house :wink:

Now, according to Morin, Mercury just in own triplicity. That?s adding some ?points? to it?s dignity, but square to Saturn starts acting badly, because no receptions with it.
I don't have your chart, but if Saturn is in domicile and not otherwise afflicted, this isn't going to hurt Mercury as badly as it would if it were in say, Leo. If I understand you correctly Mars is in Leo and Saturn is in Aquarius. Mercury assumes the status of the planets with whom he is keeping company, and he is keeping company with the malefics, so he is an accidental malefic. But he is keeping company with a strong positive Saturn and Mars isn't in the worst position* being in a hot dry sign. So whatever it is that Mercuy promises, it will come but with difficulties and imperfections. In short your Mercury probably looks a lot worse than it is. If Mercury is not angular, the significance of Algol is a bit diminished as well. If it is close to the cusp of an angle, be careful.
Does planet in house has stronger influence over house than it?s almuten if it?s in the next sign, other than houses cusp?
Morin says that a planet in a house has more influence over the affairs of the house than the ruler does unless the ruler is in the house in question. So Jupiter in Sagittarius in the 5th is in charge of 5th house affairs regardless of what other planets are there. But if Jupiter is in Sagittarius in the 4th and the 5th cusp has Sagittarius on it, and, say Mars is in the 5th, then Mars' would have the most influence.

Morin probably didn't use almutens because he shortened the list of essential dignities by nearly half, but if he did, the principle would be the same. The planet in the house has more influence than the ruler of the house and more than the almuten.

Keep in mind this is Morin's idea. There may be others who disagree. I'm sticking with him because that is the way we started and I want to be consistent.

Tom

*Contrast your Mercury with Venus, the ASC ruler of Adolph Hitler's chart. That Venus in Taurus was conjunct Mars in Taurus (detriment) and square Saturn in Leo (detriment). Venus was retrograde, too. Now that is far more of a problem than you have.

Tom wrote:Gabe,

Your suggestion makes some sense, but keep this in mind: almuten is determined by essential dignity. Angularity is an accidental dignity.

Tom
True. In the case of a tie, both planets will provide the form of the house in question, as basically all the rulers of a degree, to one degree or another; but the more angular one is going to provide more of the matter of the house, due to its greater power to act. All other things considered, of course.
Gabe

I tried to rectify the chart of today?s world known architect from California, Frank Gehry.
I?m interested in that because of my profession is an architect, and because he has Mars-Saturn opposition in his chart too.
I didn?t have much of private event?s dates from his biography (like marriage, child born, etc.) for rectification. Though, he had emigrated from Canada at the age 17, was graduated in the US, had numerous awards. Using those dates I made rectification with Kepler6 and, here is his data:

Frank Gehry
February 28, 1929, 1:20 PM
Toronto, Canada
AC 16 Cancer
Regarding his chart (I don?t mention Pluto on AC, because it?s traditions forum and, may be my rectification is wrong) it?s just amazing of how planet?s essential dignities (or debilities) are insignificant in his obvious success in profession. And I don?t see much of accidental dignities (again, may be wrong chart). But, from my point of view, good aspect between luminaries, and Jupiter, and grand trines are obviouse.
Last edited by Yuriy on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Until right now I'd never heard of Frank Gehry, but I am always interested in charts of successful people that have little essential dignity. This qualifies.

Gehry's ASC ruler, the Moon, is in Scorpio (Fall), but it is also conjunct the fixed star Alpheca. Robson says:

Public honor and dignity, suffers through law, partners, and neighbors, trouble through underhanded dealings of enemies, but eventual triumph over them, bad for love affairs, some faithful friends, greatly esteemed by Venus and Mercury people.

Mars is conjunct Betelguese:

Cautious and reserved, good leader and organizer, honor and preferment in martial matters.
The ASC is conjunct Canopus:
It gives piety conservatism, a wide and comprehensive knowledge, voyages, and educational work, and changes evil to good.
This is a simplistic way to read a chart, but it is a start. I wonder how many of these things fit, and if any of them can be seen elsewhere in the chart?

A word about Pluto and his friends. I have no problem discussing the influence of the outer planets in any chart. It is the use of the outer planets as sign rulers that is inappropriate in the traditional forum. In the past I've used them but more like fixed stars. For the moment, I've taken them off my computer display, but may put them back on someday.

If you think an accepted symbolism for Pluto is appropriate to the chart under discussion, feel free to use it, but Mars rules Scorpio.

Thanks.

Tom