Delineation of Arabic Parts

Somebody asked about the delineationof Arabic Parts and I just can't remember who (and I don't really want to go thru the list).

The following is the way that I delineate Arabic Parts:-

Pre-amble:
Make sure that the chart has been delineated properly first. Arabic Part modifies the meanings of the planets with similar significations. It does not create new meanings.

Arabic Part is the way native handle things because the formulae involve the Ascendant (which is the only point that is you, i.e. your horoscope). This is because the planets are considered entities and hence cannot be dealt directly. The way we deal with the planets is thru the Arabic Part associated with that planet. Example: Let Jupiter (universal significator of wealth) be also the native's personal significator of wealth in good condition (zodiacally) and angular. This indicates potential wealth. How the native use or acquire wealth (and his success in getting it) is observed thru Pars Fortuna (for Fortuna is the point of wealth for the native).

The signification of the Arabic Part is switched off (not working for the benefit of the native) if all of its dispositors (sign ruler, exalted ruler, trip rulers and term ruler) of the Arabic Part do not aspect the Part. Face ruler is not counted because it?s too weak. Give priorities to sign, triplicity and term rulers.

First condition: The signification of the Arabic Part is considered really empowered if :-
the dispositors of the Part (sign ruler, exalted ruler, trip rulers and term ruler) aspect the Part esp. sign ruler, triplicity rulers and term ruler.

Additional empowerment to the part:-
1. The dispositors of the Part are in good condition
2. The main luminary aspects the Part
3. The dispositors (sign ruler, exalted ruler, trip rulers and term ruler)
of the main luminary aspect the Part.
4. The planets that are used in the calculation of the Arabic Part aspect
the Part.

The conditions of the dispositors modify the strength of the Part. The more of the above you have in a chart, the better the signification of the Part (always look to the first condition!)

Let us examine the Chart of Bill Gates:-
Universal significator of wealth is Jupiter.
Jupiter is in the second house (by Alcabitius and Whole sign house system). This alone would make Morinus pick Jupiter as the wealth significator as it is determined (in this case located) in the 2nd House. We see that Jupiter closely conjuncts the modern planet Pluto. Jupiter (universal significator of wealth) determined to wealth (according to Morinus) in the second house (finance) closely conjuncts Pluto (which indicates acquiring masses of wealth or acquiring wealth from the masses of people).

Now to the Arabic Parts
Pars Fortuna is 15 Aqu. Dispositors are Saturn (by sign), Mercury, Saturn, Jupiter (by triplicities) and Jupiter (by term). ALL of the dispositors aspect Pars Fortuna. This is good!!! Jupiter which is the trip and term rulers of the Part of Fortune aspect the Part. This is incredible. With Jupiter (the King) as trip and term ruler of Part of Fortune aspecting Part of Fortune from 2nd house and Jupiter in the Royal sign (Leo), ?need I say more?

Main luminary is moon in 7 Ari (nocturnal chart) and she aspects the Part of Fortune. Dispositors of main luminary (moon) are Mars (by sign), Sun (by exaltation), Jupiter, Sun, Saturn (by triplicities) and Venus (by term) all of which aspect the Part!

Part of Fortune is Asc + Moon ? Sun (diurnal). The positions of the luminaries are swapped for nocturnal charts. Planets involved in the calculation are the luminaries (sun and moon). Both have been shown to aspect Part of Fortune.

Some people are just lucky (well he?s probably hard working too?)

I will give another example using a different Part.

Comments?

Hi Astrojin,

It is so well written in my opinion that it doesn't deserve any comments other than congratulations :brows

I must add that Robert Zoller's book, a translation from Bonatti, On The Arabic Parts can be recommended as an indispensable source to any medieval astrology student as well as professionals for a detailed discussion of the subject.

Regards,

Sigma

Of course,

Bonatti, "Bonatti on the Arabic Parts", (translated by Rob Zoller) is still the major reference for Arabic Parts. I downloaded his translation from new-library.com/zoller years ago and it was good. You would expect as much from Bonatti, the great compiler.

One problem though, the delineation of the parts are scanty and few. Sometimes you really wish these ancient astrologers give clear examples of all the parts and their preferences...(or maybe he did in a different tract?)

Arabic Parts

Hello Astrojin,in fact you can search more pratical information about the use of the lots in greek astrological classics - Dorotheus of Sidon(sec.1),wrote about planetary transits over the Part of marriage and children, and there are even special lots calculated for transits.Vettius valens,another astrologer from helenistic times,used a system of prediction called "Aphesis", based upon lots. here is the link about it:

http://www.astrology-x-files.com/x-files/

i hope it helps
Gerson
"Life is a gift,enjoy"

The parts or lots were the invention of te Hellenistic Greeks, and they used whole sign houses. I don't know that any of the original Greek lots use house cusps. They do use the ASC or MC.

Later on the Arabs developed more and more of the lots or parts (to the point where Al Biruni complained about the number of them), and by then quadrant house systems were in use. So the use of cusps in lot calcuation probably dates back "only" to the middle ages.

But to answer your question, whatever house system you use is the right one.

Tom

Rob Hand in ?Whole Sign Houses: The Oldest House System? (2000) mentions the Lot of Death (p.24). The formula is Saturn + 8th house cusp ? Moon for both day and night. He writes that this lot and others were in use at the time that Whole-Sign houses were in use. There are no existing examples of charts with the lots computed using Whole-Sign houses, but Hand strongly suspects that the cusp ? as a point of intensity within the house, not as the begining of the house ? was determined by using the Ascendant degree in each of the signs. An Ascendant of 21 Libra would give an 8th house cusp of 21 Taurus, but the 8th house would start at 0 Taurus.

Interesting idea. I checked Paulus and found several formulae for the lot of death:

"Saturn to Moon by Day and the same by night" (i.e. ASC + Moon - Saturn).

"Lot of Death Moon to Saturn by day but by night reverse; Lot of Death Moon unto the 8th zoidion (sign) and give the distribution from Kronos by day and night." page 110 (Saturn + 8th - Moon)

On page 107 he again mentions Moon and Saturn (and ASC) and also says:

"Lot of death, Moon to the 8th place and equal amounts from Saturn." Interestingly he also cites Moon and Saturn in various order for the lots of burial and "Family/Household," which are probably references to the 4th sign.

Although Hand's idea makes sense, there doesn't seem to be anything to support it in this text. However I only skimmed it when looking. I also checked Greek Horoscopes by Otto Neugebauer and H.B. Van Hoesen for clues and found none (skimming again). They note that Vetius Valens calculated the lot of death from the part of fortune (page 8 ), which makes sense in that the POF in Greek astrology, had some relationship to the body. Valens was also known to use what is now called the Porphyry House system but that was to determine planetary strength, not for the lots.

Tom