Lunar Astrology

Could anyone point to me references on proper lunar astrology?

The moon, which is very important in horary and electional astrology, must have held a very important position in predictive natal work in the ancient times but sadly what we have is bits and pieces of what can be called "lunar" astrology. Some of the bits and pieces of "lunar" astrology that I can think of:-

1. Mansions of the moon. As we have the 12 signs of the zodiac for solar astrology, we also have 28 mansions of lunar astrology. The Arabs and the Chinese had 28 lunar mansions and the Hindus 27 (actually they also had 28, they dropped the 28th lunar mansion known as Abhijit which is not used in Vedic natal work).

2. Lunar phasing and its relationship with Pars Fortuna

3. The special form of lunar aspecting - Noddings of the moon (as mentioned by Valens and also in Liber Hermetis)

4. Other bits and pieces e.g. moon as translator of light (bringing the energy of one planet to the next), VOC moon (moon that carries a planet's energy but does not transfer it to another because she has to enter a new kingdom i.e. sign), moon?s next applying aspect (hence empowering the planet she is about to aspect), moon?s last applying aspect, feral moon, etc. (???)

Any other "lunatic" things that I should be aware of?

Do you just mean techniques? Or more generally?

Sort of quoting myself from elsewhere..."Lunaries were popular in Medieval times. Some contained predictions based on the day of the month, fewer on the zodiacal position of the Moon, a small number on lunar mansions. Some manuscripts dealt with the relationship of birth to month. ...There were also destinaries in existence that relied on Sun sign positions for character analysis and to make predictions. Sometimes, these were combined with lunaries...Lunaries were primarily based on the Moon?s passage in the zodiac and used to help choose the appropriate times for various actions. The positions of the Moon were calculated from tables included in the book, or by using a volvelle. Lunaries would contain advice for undertaking or avoiding certain actions when the Moon was in a particular zodiac sign. They were primarily used for medical purposes."

Sample, roughly translated - "When the Moon is in Aries, it is good to speak with great lords or mighty men? and for to gang to fight in battle against you foes and for to take voyages to the eastward, for this is an eastern sign and in the east he stands...But it is ill and perilous to do ought to a man?s head, as to wash or comb it, or to shave or do any medicine thereto?"

In other words, I'd have a good nose at medieval sources.

Then we have the 19th century lunarists, I mentioned in my weather essay...

Kim

No, it's a type of book based on the Moon's passage, most commonly referring to zodiacal position, but they can also use mansions or planetary hours. Most common in Middle English. In other words, fourteenth and fifteenth century. If you base it on the Sun, then it becomes a destinary. But there are less of those, and they're often bundled with lunaries. Both lunaries and destinaries tend to be electionaries, although they can also be designed for interrogations, i.e. elections, horary and event analysis. Some electionaries are more truly for interrogations anyway, but I've never seen anyone call them "interrogationaries" - presumably because that is a horrible and rather silly word. :D Lunaries were often designed with medicine in mind.

Basically, we're talking about popular medieval astrology. Ordinary people's astrology, rather than what we tend to study. We're also talking about what I'm hoping to do my PhD on, but reading Middle English is hard work :(

Anything else I can bore you with? :D

Kim

"Lunaries" and their kin are alive and well and promulgating among Russian astrologers, I understand. As are "alternative" "Moons", e.g. Dark Moon, Light Moon, etc.

Then, quite apart from that, there is the draconic zodiac...