'Christian Astrology' in the Original Language?........

Hi all,

I was just about to order William Lilly's essential 'Christian Astrology' books 1 & 2 and book 3. I have been getting on with what I can find on Lilly's writing on the internet, and from modern sources about traditional astrology, although it's high time I obtained my own copies of Lilly's astrological bible to study and have to hand.

The thing is, I was about to order on Amazon, when I read in the synopsis that these books have been rendered into modern English! Nooooooo!!! That's tragic! I don't want them in modern English, I want them in the enchanting magick of the 17th Century tongue in which they were originally written! :( I would be loathe to have to read them in modern English. Why have the publishers defiled the books in this way? Can you imagine reading Shakespeare in modern English?

Is there any way at all that I can obtain these works the way Lilly intended them to be read? I would be most dissappointed to have to read them in modern English, it take's all the romance out of it. Of course, the educational benefit is the most important thing, but if I could possibly have these books in that beautiful medieval style then I would much prefer! Any suggestions?

I almost ordered these books a while back, but there was a problem with my details and they didn't come, and I ended up cancelling in the end. Just as well, as I didn't know they were not in the original language. :?

Thanks,

Draco :wink:

Dave Roell's retyped editions are verbatim from the 1749 edition. Are you sure you read modern English and not modern typeface? I wasn't aware that anyone had redone Lilly into modern English. Roell made a couple of concessions to contemporary English (I think it was mostly spelling*), but they were minor and have no effect on the content.

The Regulus edition, should you be able to find one, is a facsimile of the 1647 edition, but it isn't easy reading due to the typeface. It is also quite expensive. Copies have been going for more than $200 US.

Tom

* A lot of spelling in English, in fact a lot of English grammar and vocabulary would not be standardized until Samuel Johnson's famous Dictionary was published about 100 years after CA. I'm not making excuses for Lilly who could be quite imaginative in his spelling and grammar, but it is worth noting that standards were a bit lax in his day. Yes I know his contemporaries didn't have as much trouble as he did.

Dave Roell's retyped editions are verbatim from the 1749 edition. www.astroamerica.com Are you sure you read modern English and not modern typeface? I wasn't aware that anyone had redone Lilly into modern English. Roell made a couple of concessions to contemporary English (I think it was mostly spelling*), but they were minor and have no effect on the content.

The Regulus edition, should you be able to find one, is a facsimile of the 1647 edition, but it isn't easy reading due to the typeface. It is also quite expensive. Copies have been going for more than $200 US.

Tom

* A lot of spelling in English, in fact a lot of English grammar and vocabulary would not be standardized until Samuel Johnson's famous Dictionary was published about 100 years after CA. I'm not making excuses for Lilly who could be quite imaginative in his spelling and grammar, but it is worth noting that standards were a bit lax in his day. Yes I know his contemporaries didn't have as much trouble as he did.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response. I ordered anyway, and discovered that it is only the spelling and not the phrasing of the language that has been altered.

Actually, it is a really good read. I was worried that the phrasing would have been totally changed as well as the spelling, which I thought would be a shame, because there is a certain magick to it.

I have still to order book 3, about the judgement of nativities, although books 1 and 2 are fascinating enough to be getting on with.

I am quite into the books of John Frawley. In his 'The Real Astrology', he advises that there are three essential books that any aspiring traditional astrologer ought to have. Apart from Christian Astrology, the other two are Al-Khayyat's, 'The Judgements of Nativities', and Titus Buckhardt's 'Mystical Astrology According to Ibn' Arabi'. I have searched for these books but I cannot find them available.

Do you know how I could obtain these?

Also, what books do you know of that I can order online which would be a good help in getting to grips with the fundamentals of traditional knowledge? What do you suggest?

Draco :wink:

Hi,

Al Khayyat's work is available through the American Federation of Astrologers http://www.astrologers.com/ Go to their website and click on "Astrology Shop, then go to the searchable database. In the alphabetical listing click on "H". They list the book under the name of the Translator James Holden.

As for Burckhardt, I have that book around here somewhere, and I remember it wasn't easy going. I do not recall where I found it, but I think it was online used. The Wessex Astrologer has it http://www.astrologers.com/

Summing up traditional knowledge isn't that easy. For all the traditionalists insisting we be familiar with it, perhaps someone ought to at least write a primer. It is a vast subject. That being said there are two short books (don't let the length fool you; they aren't breakfast table reading) you might like:

The Elizabethan World Picture by E.M.W. Tillyard
Alchemy by Titus Burkhardt

My copy of Tillyard is undated from Vintage Books a division of Random House. Alchemy can be purchased at Wessex and maybe Tillyard, too.

Enjoy yourself.

Tom