Nicea

is now Iznik, Turkey dates I have for Council Vary though I have 19 June 325 AD gregorian calendar for the first proclamation and then I have 2 dates for end, one is 25 july 325 and other is 25 august 325,

the first chart at dawn has neptune on MC and Jupiter and Uranus on DSC

anyway, I thought you might find looking at charts for the dates for the Council of Nicea interesting with Da Vinci code, being so popular at the moment.

If you put it into Astro.com be sure to use Iznik, turkey as it doesn't have the old location name.

Granny

The Council of Nicea is one Huge Turning point in Western Civilization. constantine Legalizes christianity and organizes a council to get christianity more Organized. this is some of the bloodiest part of christianity, it is an extremely anti semetic part of history. I basically wanted to discuss, if there is interest, the portents of the skies for the Summer of 325 AD.

The year after Constantine legalizes christianity,326, in fact making it the central religion, he has his Son and a while later His 2nd wife killed. this was not remotely a nice man, And he's been canonized which I find distasteful in the extreme, he was a monster.

In any case, if there is interest, I'd love to here other thoughts. I find the Stelliums and the Excess of Air, interesting in the opening chart.

Granny

The most generally considered date for the commencement of the Council of Nicea is May 20th. No commencement time. The close of the Council was July 25th. I haven't looked at a chart yet but will when I get some time. I?m not sure that looking at a chart for the commencement of the Council will give much of the sort of information you are after. I would be more inclined to look at some of the generational planets and the transits around them for that particular time period. If you go a bit broader it might be easier to see a pattern or a zeitgeist, if you like, of what the energies were like at the time. Obviously you can't use points such as the MC or DC because there is no time for the chart.

The Council of Nicea really wasn?t that influential for anything other than for Christians who were fighting over Arianism. It wasn?t a turning point in terms of the expansion of Christianity over paganism. The reason Constantine called the Council was to sort out the issue of the Trinity, which it did, by expelling anyone who didn?t accept the Trinity. Constantine considered the Arians a much bigger threat to Christianity than the pagans. The Christians were so busy fighting among themselves at that time that they really weren?t too concerned with pagans or Jews.

I agree with you that this is a time that we can see as crucial in the development of the Christian Church. However, I tend to see Theodosius as more instrumental in establishing the conditions for the widespread development of Christianity. Constantine had actually legalised Christianity with the Edict of Milan in 313. All this meant was that it removed the penalties for being a Christian. Most other religions were still free to do what that pleased. Constantine wasn?t all that fussed about trying to stamp out paganism. His sons were much more forceful in this.

But the person who was probably more instrumental in the development of Christianity was Theodosius who reigned in the 380-390's. It was he who declared Christianity the state religion, meaning, of course, only Nicean Christianity. Arian Christians were exiled in large numbers and pagans were being forced to convert. Pagan practices were banned, including the taking of auspices or blood sacrifices. Things like the Eternal Flame in the Temple of Vesta and the Roman Forum were extinguished and churches were built on what were once pagan temple sites. He officially sanctioned the destruction of pagan temples. It is at this point that there was an active dedication to stamping out anything other than Christianity.

was it under theodosius that Hypatia was Librarian at Alexandria?

I didn't mention anything about christianity expanding by the way, I'm talking about constantines role in not only legalizing christianity, but in making it uncomfortable for anyone to be anything else. Jews were not allowed to enter jeruselum except on the anniversary of the destruction of the temple at that time.

and more than the trinity was decided,

The Nicean Creed came from that council, before that, it was argued among christians as to whether or Not Jesus was God or prophet.

It was decided Mary was a virgin mother (talk about subscribing to Greek traditions)

It was decided that Easter would not be held on the Jewish Passover but on the first Sunday after the First Full Moon after the Spring Equinox.

It was decided that One need not be circumcized, once and for all, to be a christian, Nor follow any Jewish practice.

Self Castration was prohibited.

Ordination by bishop was clarified,

Priests prohibited from Money lending.(charging Interest)

Constintine invited 1800 Bishops, about 300 showed up, there is disagreement, some say as few as 270, others as many as 318.

it also confirms the 12 apostles, which I've always found interesting, there were so may, yet only twelve confirmed.

so, godhood of Jesus decided, and 20 laws set in place, but more over, it started bringing under church law, the emporer, instead of the reverse. The entangling of Church and State, (for Christianity)

more soon. . .

Granny?